Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Max size embark that works?  (Read 2628 times)

KiTA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Max size embark that works?
« on: September 23, 2012, 09:52:48 pm »

Has anyone been able to embark on a 16x16 embark screen in 0.34.11?  Whenever I do, DF crashes.

I got a new PC that runs the game at 350,000 FPS when uncapping it, figure a 16x16 might actually tax it enough to make it slow down a bit. ;)

A 10x10 worked at launch, but crashed quickly afterwards.  I was playing a 5x5 (6x6) with no issues earlier.

(Note:  Even at 350,000 fps, high evil high savage areas are still near impossible to survive in.  Kinda neat.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Max size embark that works?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 09:56:34 pm »

350,000 fps? I'm going to call BS on that... Dwarves move once every ten frames. Unless your dwarves are moving 35000 tiles each second, the fps indicator is off.

But yes, 16x16 works fine for me.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 10:32:20 pm »

I got a new PC that runs the game at 350,000 FPS when uncapping it, figure a 16x16 might actually tax it enough to make it slow down a bit. ;)

When paused?  :P
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 10:50:51 pm »

If when unpaused, how many dwarves do you have? Seven? Raise the pop cap until you either run out of FPS or room in a 2x2 embark. Then make the same-sized embark, more sky, and the same popcap, and MAKE A CROWDED APARTMENT COMPLEX ABOVE GROUND BWAHAHAHA!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

KiTA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 11:26:01 pm »

No pause, and my last game the FPS stayed somewhat consistent (Barring pathing failures, which dropped it to ~150 or so every so often) up to about 90 dwarves:

And yes, while I have no doubt that the FPS meter is a bit... off....  they do actually move about as fast as expected.  I can't even watch my dwarves move around when they're just futzing about, it's only when they start doing things like hauling or mining that I even notice they're in a single spot.

This is the PC I am running on, with a ATI 6870 HD graphics card.

I've tried genning a good 5-6 worlds, and none of them have let me embark on a 16x16 plot.  Maybe it's some sort of bug with my setup or something?

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 11:39:13 pm »

I'm thinking it might be RAM issues.  By default DF can only page 2 GB of RAM. 
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 12:00:04 am »

This is pretty much it.  No computer can get around this until DF gets compiled to a 64-bit executable, which Toady has stated may be nontrivial due to the libraries he uses.  In other words, it's probably not going to make it into this release, but who knows?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

KiTA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 12:08:51 am »

This is pretty much it.  No computer can get around this until DF gets compiled to a 64-bit executable, which Toady has stated may be nontrivial due to the libraries he uses.  In other words, it's probably not going to make it into this release, but who knows?

Ah, so it's not just me?

drivec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 12:13:03 am »

i have done max size without it crashing. but i was getting less then 1 fps. it would freeze get 5 fps freeze and so forth.

ppl say it has to do with memory/ram but it was only useing about 1.6gb. iam pretty sure my cpu cant handle it iam only running about 2.8ghz.

edit: the location on the map and whats happening has alot to do with it as well. ive had my df crash on glaciers with much lower embark size
also i think i might have done this with temp and weather off.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 12:17:51 am by drivec »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 12:17:21 am »

Yes, the local geography matters too.  A very shallow world might work in a 16x16 embark, since the amount of memory needed per x,y coordinate would be less.  There are fewer z coordinates to keep track of, effectively.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

drivec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 12:24:48 am »

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112556

you could try this i used this to run df with more then 2gb i just tried max embark and i was useing about 3.1gb worth of ram.

use this at your own risk.
direct link to download. http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34392&d=1269231650

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 06:09:04 am »

(Note:  Even at 350,000 fps, high evil high savage areas are still near impossible to survive in.  Kinda neat.

~400000 frames in a year, right?  That can't be playable if you were really getting that rate.  Or you're a cyborg :)

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 07:05:57 am »

~400000 frames in a year, right?  That can't be playable if you were really getting that rate.  Or you're a cyborg :)

Yeah I'm imagining someone tapping space, waiting a second, hitting it again. "Your fortress has crumbled to its end."

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2012, 10:29:07 am »

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112556

you could try this i used this to run df with more then 2gb i just tried max embark and i was useing about 3.1gb worth of ram.

use this at your own risk.
direct link to download. http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34392&d=1269231650

I've used this to uncap my df executable and haven't had issues with it. Of course use it at your own risk, but this is what you need if you want to run large embarks.
Feeling down? Click Here!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 12:58:33 pm »

DF can only use up to 2GB of RAM on windows, yes. However there are a few ways around this. The first is for Windows computers and that is to download the Large Address Aware patch (34.04) which was created using the utility that drivec linked to. This should enable DF to use up to 4 GB of RAM. The other thing is to simply run the Mac version, as modern macs will give 32-bit applications up to 4 GB of RAM by default. Sadly I don't know enough about Linux to be able to help them, but there is almost certainly a way to increase the RAM limit on Linux (assuming it doesn't do it automatically like Mac does).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: [1] 2