Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Long live the King! Not you, the new guy.  (Read 1221 times)

Ashsaber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Long live the King! Not you, the new guy.
« on: September 08, 2012, 11:05:14 pm »

In a nutshell:

I have a king.

I want the king replaced.

How to go about it?

In this instance, the king has no heirs and is a vampire with a dead spouse. Also he worships the god that turned him into a vampire so I guess he's pretty happy about the whole deal.

Keep in mind my goal is to have a new king sitting on the throne, so any methods to replace him is fair game.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Long live the King! Not you, the new guy.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 11:38:56 pm »

Currently succession is broken, so any method that kills the old king won't work. The only thing that I can think of is to add [ELECTED] to the king position, replace him with a new one, and then remove the [ELECTED] token, though I'm unsure of if that would even work.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 07:34:23 am »

what is it with dwarfs and vampire kings?
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 07:39:10 am »

Vampires live long, so they can easily claim the royal bloodline. Often correctly.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Ashsaber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 12:22:51 pm »

D'oh. I vaguely recall trying that and not working.

Oh well, thanks for the heads up.  :D

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 08:28:56 pm »

The only thing that I can think of is to add [ELECTED] to the king position, replace him with a new one, and then remove the [ELECTED] token, though I'm unsure of if that would even work.
It wouldn't work unless you used DFHack to edit the positions specific to your civilization - modifying the position raws has absolutely no effect after worldgen is over.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 09:13:43 pm »

what is it with dwarfs and vampire kings?
I had a vampire who was worshipped as a god, and then I killed him and had his body rotting out to show people what happens to gods who fight us 8) I wish I had the map still, I'd show pictures, but I don't have it no more :(
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 02:49:59 am »

The only thing that I can think of is to add [ELECTED] to the king position, replace him with a new one, and then remove the [ELECTED] token, though I'm unsure of if that would even work.
It wouldn't work unless you used DFHack to edit the positions specific to your civilization - modifying the position raws has absolutely no effect after worldgen is over.
Figured as much. So far I've only found a few things in the entity files that can be edited post world-gen.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.