Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Armor (or Armour if you're so inclinded) Issues.  (Read 1594 times)

Astronomygoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Armor (or Armour if you're so inclinded) Issues.
« on: September 10, 2012, 11:11:59 am »

So I start my military as I always do, I make up a uniform and off I go! This time I'm noticing that my soldiers aren't donning their helmets, boots, or their gauntlets. I've never run into this issue with previous versions. Anybody else running into this and/or know how to fix it?

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
Re: Armor (or Armour if you're so inclinded) Issues.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 12:24:13 pm »

I haven't yet tried uniforms, instead I just assign stuff.  It's tedious, but I'd rather have my more skilled dwarves in better stuff than the noobs.

Is everything accessible?  Nothing is forbidden?  Can they path to it?
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

daishi5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 12:27:20 pm »

Set the uniform to replace clothing instead of over clothing.  I ran into the same issue. 
Just make sure you have enough armor, or you will have unhappy naked armed dwarves because they take their clothes off for the uniform.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 12:28:58 pm »

May be a layers issue. you may need them to replace thier civvies entirely, but you'll need to issue them a full uniform of sorts, with pants, a shirt and socks along with the metal bits. Then add a cloak and hood if you're so inclined. I know from expierence layers mean almost nothing to blunt damage and soft gear will only stop badly aimed blows regardless.

Try issuing them a full uniform that replaces thier civvie gear entirely and see if that works.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Astronomygoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 12:44:59 pm »

I'll have to give this a try, never had to deal with changing to replacing their civie clothes..

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 07:41:00 pm »

What hat type items you are assigning as part of the uniform.  A number of us have been bit by the change in leather caps that no longer allow a metal helm to be worn over then.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 08:18:37 pm »

I haven't yet tried uniforms, instead I just assign stuff.  It's tedious, but I'd rather have my more skilled dwarves in better stuff than the noobs.

I honestly haven't done or looked for active research, but I've noticed that as they gain Armor Use skill, they will go pick up upgrades.  So if you have multiple sets of copper, iron & steel chain, all novice Armor Users will get copper.  Then as they increase their skill, they'll go swap the copper for iron, and so on.
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

Astronomygoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 11:13:34 pm »

I honestly haven't done or looked for active research, but I've noticed that as they gain Armor Use skill, they will go pick up upgrades.  So if you have multiple sets of copper, iron & steel chain, all novice Armor Users will get copper.  Then as they increase their skill, they'll go swap the copper for iron, and so on.

I thought they chose armor based on the value of the piece of armor, starting with the most senior solider and then working its way down the list.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 11:16:15 pm »

Whoever gets to it first gets it basically, or more whoever has it in thier pick up equipment job gets it first, however it is based on value for some reason, so sometimes you may need to forcible assigned each idividual peice. Alternativly simply make seperate unforms with the metals, with rookie uniforms using copper and elite troops with steel/adamantine.

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 01:13:54 am »

i have a similar issue, i do not use replace clothing at the moment, but have the problem that i can't equip helm/boots, cos the idiots are wearing caps/shoes.

I tried forbidding their items while they were wearing them without much success, how do you get them to take stuff off?
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2012, 01:17:48 am »

Replace thier civvies or wait for them to discard them.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 03:28:39 am »

I've taken to the "Replace Clothing" method, and then just adding a Coat, Trousers, and Socks to the uniform.  As an added benefit, limiting their clothing to just 3 items makes it much easier to look at their inventory.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 03:30:18 am »

I've taken to the "Replace Clothing" method, and then just adding a Coat, Trousers, and Socks to the uniform.  As an added benefit, limiting their clothing to just 3 items makes it much easier to look at their inventory.

And less resource intensive too.