Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Gnomoria (a DF ripoff)  (Read 14548 times)

Podesta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gnomoria (a DF ripoff)
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2012, 12:52:18 pm »

Or maybe they "dumb down" the games because a lot of people doesn't actually care about the level of depth of DF (and here I would like to link to an article from David Baumgart, art director from Gaslamp Games. They are currently working on clockwork empire, another "DF ripoff": http://www.gaslampgames.com/2010/07/16/game-design-dialectic-dwarf-fortress-and-goblin-camp/ ), and at the end of the day, who want the depth of DF can always play Dwarf Fortress (WOW, right!?).

The gaslamp guys said even though they love DF a lot

Did you read that article? That guy don't like DF.  Goblin Camp is almost dead - almost a year without updates, and the update was just a little bugfix. DF is still going strong. Which model was the best?

Despise they saying now that they love DF, they do so to not allienate our playerbase. I have the impression every game developer out there hates Toady.

Okay A) Gaslamp doesn't run goblin camp and B) I was specifically talking about the current gaslamp game being developed called clockwork empires. Which has been stated to have taken some inspirations from DF, the gaslamp guys loved DF enough to where one of the devs actually officially posted inside our forums on the thread I linked.

Everyone hates Toady? Don't make me laugh.

Read the link (that is hosted on the Gaslamp) it is one of the heaviest criticism of DF I ever saw (besides the "OMG there is no grafx this game sux" crowd). I didn't say they run Goblin Camp, but the link is about DF and Goblin Camp.
I didn't said everyone hates Toady. You need to work on your reading skills. But the various episodes of people who somehow get angry at DF development decisions and then go to design their own DF-like is astounding (it didn't look to be the case of Towns and Gnomoria, though).

That is a 2 year old article, just to show that a lot of people don't want the amount of depth of DF, therefore the "dumbing down". Who wants DF, can always play DF, for more amazing that this can sound...
And I feel that there a lot of people with fear that those games can get people away from DF (and I see as being the completely opposite), it's almost like they didn't trust DF.

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gnomoria (a DF ripoff)
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2012, 02:30:14 pm »

(The following rambling message isn't to anyone in particular, I'm just annoyed at the casual calls for litigation, usage of the term "ripoff" and the tut-tutting of monetary gain in some posts above)

Toady gets paid thousands of dollars a year making DF, in donations.  Just saying.

Toady may be one of the best game developers in the world, according to some measurements.  He is certainly my favorite, trumping Notch in dedication and in a willingness to create depth.  Notch is very cool as well, though he no longer personally heads up Minecraft development and is on to bigger and better things (0x10c).  The dude making Gnomoria is also a cool dude.  I'm glad we have so many cool game designers in a very similar genre-space.  We'll have a proliferation of ideas and the DF-like market will swell.

Toady will always be my favorite developer, and I think he deserves to make millions in some way (commercialization, kickstarter, selling themed hats...) but he obviously is quite happy to take donations for right now, and has repeatedly seemed very supportive of all the new games popping up that are similar to DF.  If he ever feels like he wants to make bank, he has a lot of options to do so.

My point is, just because Toady isn't building the gold-brick house that he could be (maybe he will in the future, if he wants), don't try to tell me/us that Gnomoria shouldn't be supported or liked because its developer *gasp* wants to make a living at his chosen profession.  He's making a game a lot of people want to play (dumbed down DF with graphics), so he's obviously meeting a demand.

Also, your arguments calling for litigation due to some kind of copyright violations open up a huge ethical can of worms concerning intellectual property that I would hope we here at the Bay12 forums would rather just leave in the tackle box.  If I'm wrong about that, awesome, let's do it.

Yes that message is for me.
And I am obviously of opposite minds with the rest of those who responded. So I will hold my tongue.
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]