Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Astral projection!!! O.O  (Read 6479 times)

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
Re: Astral projection!!! O.O
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2012, 07:48:11 pm »

It's an American brand. Beer is a big thing here, especially in the South (NASCAR might have something to do with this!!!). Believe it or not, we love our booze so much that we have counseling centers (Al-Anon) that help people kick their drinking habits because a lot of us (still small compared to the general population) become a danger to others when we are intoxicated. In fact, during holidays, you'll notice a HUGE increase in the amount of police patrolling the streets because... We are Americans. ;)

Americans aren't actually that extraodinary in alcohol abuse, compared to most other countries.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2012, 11:09:20 pm »

lol @ the idea that other countries don't have AA honestly what do americans think goes on in other countries. we don't live in caves!

EVERY other English-speaking country consumes MORE alcohol than the gentrified pussies in USA. (UK, Australia, Canada, New Zealand). While Russians consider beer to be a soft-drink and sell it to 10 year olds openly. (Real men of course drink unmixed Vodka by the gallon.) Germans and Northeners in the UK drink beer which is 8-10% alcohol. Even the French manage to down more yummy Ethanol per person per year than weak-livered Americans.

Here's the top alcohol consumers: USA is #24 in beer consumption, and not in the top 50 for general alcohol:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_alcohol_consumption
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 11:25:55 pm by Reelya »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2012, 11:36:19 pm »

EVERY other English-speaking country consumes MORE alcohol than the gentrified pussies in USA. (UK, Australia, Canada, New Zealand).

Being a dick to other countries is bad. Being a dick on the basis that they drink less booze than you is even worse.

While Russians consider beer to be a soft-drink and sell it to 10 year olds openly. (Real men of course drink unmixed Vodka by the gallon.)

You say this as if it's a good thing, and as if alcoholism isn't actually, you know, a problem.

Believe it or not, we love our booze so much that we have counseling centers (Al-Anon) that help people kick their drinking habits

Al-Anon doesn't do that; it's for family members and friends of alcoholics, and that sort of thing. You're thinking of Alcoholics Anonymous (AA).
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2012, 11:49:02 pm »

US Beer & Ale used to be really awesome. Then WW1 happen, then the depression and prohibition, then WW2 happen. And that sorta ruined US Domestic Beer forever.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2012, 01:54:06 pm »

There's enough jokes about British (perhaps, more specifically English!) beers, worldwide.... i.e. being warm and apparently undesirable (personally, I like a nice pint of traditionally-pulled cask bitter, go figure).  While within the UK there's other regional references to alcohol habits (the Scots that aren't getting Whisky from a handy Politician[1] are getting drunk on Tenants Export... or Buckfast!; 'Zummerzet' locals with their ciders that inspired the Discworldian 'Scumble'; etc...)

Right, any more Astral Projection gone on?  Anyway, I already suspected (from my old readings on the matter) that a lat/long reference isn't going to be the best target for any Projector to home in on (unless they have already looked it up and found something that they can 'home in on', sufficiently) but they should be able to home in on someone by mentalising the forum-name that their target is using...  Which is worrying <looks up to see if anyone's visibly looking down on self>.  But, as those "men that stared at goats" seem to not yet have perfected the techniques, I guess I don't care how messy my desk/hair looks...

But good luck to you... watch out for various creatures from other dimensions, though, those of you that haven't already had their mentality replaced... ;)

(Oh yeah, and I found a very brief page on that Manna Machine book I mentioned, in passing...  The actual book went into things with a lot of technical detail, so that it wasn't a half-formed crackpot theory, by any means. :) )

[1] Whisky Galore!

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2012, 06:57:53 pm »

Al-Anon doesn't do that; it's for family members and friends of alcoholics, and that sort of thing. You're thinking of Alcoholics Anonymous (AA).

They aren't the same thing?

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2012, 07:06:44 pm »

lol @ the idea that other countries don't have AA honestly what do americans think goes on in other countries. we don't live in caves!

EVERY other English-speaking country consumes MORE alcohol than the gentrified pussies in USA. (UK, Australia, Canada, New Zealand). While Russians consider beer to be a soft-drink and sell it to 10 year olds openly. (Real men of course drink unmixed Vodka by the gallon.) Germans and Northeners in the UK drink beer which is 8-10% alcohol. Even the French manage to down more yummy Ethanol per person per year than weak-livered Americans.

Here's the top alcohol consumers: USA is #24 in beer consumption, and not in the top 50 for general alcohol:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_alcohol_consumption

When did I ever say that Americans drink MORE than everybody else? And who do you think you're calling a pussy? 8-10% alcohol? Pfft!!! That's NOTHING!!! And your argument about drinking unmixed vodka sucks because I know LOTS of people who drink it "by the gallon". In fact, I know a guy who does that whenever he possibly can. Obviously, you are one of those 10 year olds that you have spoken of. And for the record, my liver's pretty damn strong.

By the way, statistics don't take into account the people who DIDN'T report their drinking habits.

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2012, 07:09:03 pm »

It's an American brand. Beer is a big thing here, especially in the South (NASCAR might have something to do with this!!!). Believe it or not, we love our booze so much that we have counseling centers (Al-Anon) that help people kick their drinking habits because a lot of us (still small compared to the general population) become a danger to others when we are intoxicated. In fact, during holidays, you'll notice a HUGE increase in the amount of police patrolling the streets because... We are Americans. ;)

Americans aren't actually that extraodinary in alcohol abuse, compared to most other countries.

I never said we were. I was saying that we ENJOY our booze.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2012, 07:22:58 pm »

DwarfMeister: your need to throw personal insults is quite unbecoming. I argued with facts and links, not ad hominems.

btw you're STILL trying to one-up the Russians ? xD. Well you can use your anecdote of one guy who packs vodka away, and I actually cite figures. Each Russian drinks 15.76 litres of pure ethanol per year vs 9.44 in the USA. It's in a different league up there. And the USA's alcohol consumption is FAR better recorded than Russia, so that probably a low estimate on Russian consumption. I'll take researched figures over "gut logic", "me and my buddies" anecdotes any day.

Btw: Cheetar was responding to your statement "Believe it or not, we love our booze so much that we have counseling centers ". Every country has that. Except those where alcohol is illegal. Then you said there's security related to drinking because "We are Americans.". Hell, everywhere else has that too in area or times of the year where people are prone to heavy drinking. It's the same deal everywhere. You specifically stated America was somehow unique in this area, and Cheetar only stated that that was not the case. You would seem to be "moving the goal posts".
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 07:39:46 pm by Reelya »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2012, 07:33:08 pm »

I would just like to note that Alcoholics Anonymous is actually a pretty terrible organization that was originally created by a fundamentalist who wanted everyone to replace alcohol with Jesus.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2012, 07:36:23 pm »

Don't most rehab organizations tout religion to help deal with addictions? Not just AA.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2012, 07:38:05 pm »

Many substance abuse organizations adopted the 12 step program that was originally created by AA, yeah.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2012, 08:52:14 pm »

DwarfMeister: your need to throw personal insults is quite unbecoming. I argued with facts and links, not ad hominems.

btw you're STILL trying to one-up the Russians ? xD. Well you can use your anecdote of one guy who packs vodka away, and I actually cite figures. Each Russian drinks 15.76 litres of pure ethanol per year vs 9.44 in the USA. It's in a different league up there. And the USA's alcohol consumption is FAR better recorded than Russia, so that probably a low estimate on Russian consumption. I'll take researched figures over "gut logic", "me and my buddies" anecdotes any day.

Btw: Cheetar was responding to your statement "Believe it or not, we love our booze so much that we have counseling centers ". Every country has that. Except those where alcohol is illegal. Then you said there's security related to drinking because "We are Americans.". Hell, everywhere else has that too in area or times of the year where people are prone to heavy drinking. It's the same deal everywhere. You specifically stated America was somehow unique in this area, and Cheetar only stated that that was not the case. You would seem to be "moving the goal posts".

I can't use personal insults? Are you f***ing kidding me? The guy's acting like a dick. What I did was fair and square. And what's this BS about me hating Russia? You don't f***ing know me, Dude, so I suggest that you keep your mouth shut about that. If anything, I was making a joke about my own country by saying that we are so bad at handling our liquor that we NEED police protection, but the guy that was arguing with me decided that he could be a hero by telling me off. That's not cool. In fact, what I said was, in fact, a LOT nicer than the things he said. I basically said that we enjoy our booze, but we overdo it sometimes. He said that we are a bunch of pussies that can't hold our liquor. I'm not going to take that lying down. Maybe, if he apologized for what he said, I'll apologize for not doing enough research into the matter, which makes me wonder- Who would even waste their time finding out how much MORE one country drinks from another? This isn't a competition and I think it's pretty sad that people got butthurt over something HARMLESS that I said and try to shut me up with "research", "statistics", and name calling. In other words, acting like a child.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2012, 09:01:51 pm »

Lol there's only one person acting butthurt because they saw some facts they didn't like.

And i never said you "hate the russians". dammit you're even using strawman on my arguments. I said you're trying to "one-up" the russians.

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2012, 10:11:44 pm »

Guys, guys, we really don't need this on our forums. Man up and say nothing if you've nothing but flames or firewood in your words.

That, and I want to read more about this. I find the supernatural to be fascinating whether I believe it exists or not.

This guy's right. This thread was about Astral Projection. Let's agree to disagree and get back on topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]