Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Astral projection!!! O.O  (Read 6481 times)

Tabbyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Astral projection!!! O.O
« on: July 22, 2012, 05:21:05 am »

So has anybody gone into that at all?

Any active practitioners?

For those who are unfamiliar with this strange thing... It's a phenomenon you can intentionally experience with practice and knowledge which is said to involve the ejection of the "astral body" or spirit body out of the physical body and into the astral plane of existence. More or less... People claim to explore the universe this way, including realms not of ordinary existence.

An alternative explanation held by rationalists is that it's a special kind of dream called a wake-induced lucid dream (WILD), where instead of realizing you're dreaming mid-dream (as in a typical lucid dream), you go into the dream state from the waking state directly without losing conscious awareness, going straight into REM aware that you're dreaming.

Some say the two are different things and both occur legitimately. I don't intend to pick a camp 'cause I really can't be sure, true to my agnostic mentality.

Whether it's astral projection or a WILD, it most often occurs after waking up with sleep paralysis, the sensation where you can't move and can't feel your body (as opposed to just laying back in the middle of the day to shoot off into space, as you don't tend to start your sleep cycle in REM... though I've heard it's possible somehow). Personally, I wouldn't bother checking to see if I can move, incase I ruin that sensation of sensory deprivation. It's popular to experience a powerful vibration, a loud increasing humming sound, or a hallucination from some other sense. For me it was a loud humming that increased in pitch and volume till I could hardly bear it..

Suddenly it stopped and I could hear TV like voices in my room, where I never had my TV turned on. I knew I wasn't in ordinary reality. :P I was either in my head or outside of normal reality.

I went to get off my bed and found myself almost as light as a feather, yet due to the awkward weight I smacked face first into the floor and involuntarily rolled into a sleeping position and woke up again in bed.

Miraculously I went right back in almost immediately, eager to try again. So I got off my bed in this dream world, or astral plane or whatever, and proceeded to try to turn on my lamp. Click... nothing... click... nothing. It's plugged in yes. Click-click-clickity-click-click-click. So my lamp doesn't work in this realm of existence. :P I was told to expect such things to happen.

I saw a strange purple slab which seemed to have some sort of congratulatory phrase (like "congratulations" for example) carved/pressed into it, on my desk, apparently there to congratulate me for achieving this state. Whatever it was.

Then I go try to fly out the ceiling and explore the neighbourhood and I wake up after thinking "gee, I'm not sure what I should be seeing between the ceiling and the roof, or where I'll come out..." Worrying about silly details. Sheesh. Should have gone out the window, or better yet, the bloody DOOR. Just because you've got the supernatural ability to go through walls, doesn't mean it's the best thing to do as soon as you get a chance...

So yeah, astral projection anybody? :P
Urist McHallucinate cancels operate pump: flying through the stars in the stomach of a giant fish.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Astral projection!!! O.O
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 05:28:51 am »

Both scientific and spiritual ramifications of astral projection makes me question such an event. I mean, I have had "In my bed and walking around the house" dreams as well but I never attributed to such.

Though lets see what conclusions I can draw by taking this seriously

So my lamp doesn't work in this realm of existence.

The interesting aspect is that the lamp was fully interactable but did not function. Meaning the the lamp was an approximation suggesting that either it didn't either truely function or there was no electricity.

If there was no electricity then it means there was a limited space.

Suddenly it stopped and I could hear TV like voices in my room, where I never had my TV turned on. I knew I wasn't in ordinary reality. I was either in my head or outside of normal reality

Either forced free associative thinking or it represents a cognitive reality created by thought rather then sense.

It may be less Astral Projection and more psychic projection.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 05:31:30 am »

I used to live with some cousins that fought battles to protect the universe and store capture what-evers into glass balls they stored around their room. And did so while astral projecting.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 05:35:18 am »

I read 'Anal Protection'.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tabbyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 05:41:18 am »

Suddenly it stopped and I could hear TV like voices in my room, where I never had my TV turned on. I knew I wasn't in ordinary reality. I was either in my head or outside of normal reality

Either forced free associative thinking or it represents a cognitive reality created by thought rather then sense.

It may be less Astral Projection and more psychic projection.

I always just thought of it as an auditory hallucination, but that's a simplifying assumption.

What's psychic projection, or forced free associative thinking for that matter? I'd be happy to hear some of your lore on this and relevant phenomena.
Urist McHallucinate cancels operate pump: flying through the stars in the stomach of a giant fish.

Tabbyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 05:45:51 am »

I read 'Anal Protection'.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Haha... Asssssstral Protection...

Well... You can as for protection in an astral projection. :P But it's not the same kind of protection... (Unless you can ask for astral contraceptives before going to meet a special astral friend of yours...)

Tabbyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 05:47:35 am »

I used to live with some cousins that fought battles to protect the universe and store capture what-evers into glass balls they stored around their room. And did so while astral projecting.

That is wicked... I kind of envy the ability to frequently experience such things.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 05:50:20 am »

What's psychic projection, or forced free associative thinking for that matter? I'd be happy to hear some of your lore on this and relevant phenomena.

Well I am using the incorrect terms but Forced Free Associative Thinking is like your mind if being forced to think constantly. It is a very specific type of halucination and one I had to ask about before (and keep forgetting the name of).

It tends to happen during semi-sleep however.

As for Psychic projection... just forget that >_> it is similar but it has more to do with less physical/metaphysical locations and more with mental locations. Like entering your own mind or a collection of minds.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 05:52:29 am by Neonivek »

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 06:18:21 am »

Only while under the influence of particularly strong entheogens.  I've never quite been able to figure out if it's purely a brain trick or something a little more meaningful.  It's probably best just to take the awesomeness without questioning it too much :D
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Tabbyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 06:23:28 am »

Well I am using the incorrect terms but Forced Free Associative Thinking is like your mind if being forced to think constantly. It is a very specific type of halucination and one I had to ask about before (and keep forgetting the name of).

It tends to happen during semi-sleep however.

As for Psychic projection... just forget that >_> it is similar but it has more to do with less physical/metaphysical locations and more with mental locations. Like entering your own mind or a collection of minds.

Intense!! I refuse to forget that. :P It's something I can definitely relate to. The congratulatory slab seemed to be representative of some internal message to my ego. A pat on the back from my subconscious.

As for constant thinking, that would suit me. I can't shut my head up and am constantly compelled to fill the void even with nonsense. I occasionally like to close my eyes, relax, and let indistinct visuals arrange themselves and dance behind my eyelids. Hypnogogia or something, hypnogogic imagery, I can't remember what they call that.

Those auditory hallucinations though, they were much cleaner and more distinct than those fuzzy patterns I can semi-spontaneously see pre-sleep. Especially the humming buzzing sound, which was exactly the same as a sound described by Terence McKenna, except he wasn't having a dream... Though he did relate the experience to dreaming in its similarities, and the same substance he used is found in our bodies in higher quantities than normal during dreaming.

(The sound he describes is found around 3:35 of this video, pretty close to what I felt going into the projection/dream/whatever)

Tabbyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 06:26:09 am »

Only while under the influence of particularly strong entheogens.  I've never quite been able to figure out if it's purely a brain trick or something a little more meaningful.  It's probably best just to take the awesomeness without questioning it too much :D

Hehe. Never been shot out of my body on entheogens... (YET...)

In my previous reply to Neonivek I mentioned a sound experienced by Terence McKenna on a STRONG entheogen. :P This leads me to believe dreams are the product of a strong entheogen. Does that qualify as a brain trick?

Either way, yeah, it's usually good enough to just stand in awe... or lay back in awe if you can't stand. lol

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2012, 06:26:47 am »

I used to read up on this kind of stuff (along with "How to communicate with the dead/angels/demons". Sadly, my religion doesn't allow me to dabble in that kind of thing. :( Good luck though. ;)

Tabbyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2012, 07:29:09 am »

I used to read up on this kind of stuff (along with "How to communicate with the dead/angels/demons". Sadly, my religion doesn't allow me to dabble in that kind of thing. :( Good luck though. ;)

Thanks. ;) I may try again some day... But I'll have to go to great lengths to achieve the dream recall, attention and awareness that I had at the time when the projection or whatever it was occurred. It seems that mental fitness I had is a requirement or at least catalyst. All sorts of mental exercises and stuff... Never did replicate that mode successfully again.

Too bad about the restriction though! Are you sure they wouldn't like you to at least fly your soul around a bit to add experiential support to the idea that the soul is eternal and not dependent on the body? :P Okay I'm just thinking wishfully, I really don't think a lot of religions would be very gung ho about astral projection no matter how it's put.

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2012, 07:47:12 am »

Thanks. ;) I may try again some day... But I'll have to go to great lengths to achieve the dream recall, attention and awareness that I had at the time when the projection or whatever it was occurred. It seems that mental fitness I had is a requirement or at least catalyst. All sorts of mental exercises and stuff... Never did replicate that mode successfully again.

Too bad about the restriction though! Are you sure they wouldn't like you to at least fly your soul around a bit to add experiential support to the idea that the soul is eternal and not dependent on the body? :P Okay I'm just thinking wishfully, I really don't think a lot of religions would be very gung ho about astral projection no matter how it's put.

I think it has more to do with, "If you leave, the demons can take over your body.". I am allowed to interpret my dreams, but I just can't do any mumbo jumbo type of stuff. And yes- The restriction kind of sucks, but I have to live with it. At least until I lose faith...

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2012, 10:05:38 am »

Simple test - astral project to my room @ 44.348441 : 17.251529 and tell me what brand of beer I am drinking right now.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4