Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Of what measure is "evil", anyway...?  (Read 947 times)

Draegur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Of what measure is "evil", anyway...?
« on: July 15, 2012, 01:58:35 am »

The most powerful faction in my world by far is The Banded Confederations, and in the beginning of time, a gopher devil named Xosun Goldenjudges the Sport of Spurting (yummy, no?) convinced the people of The Banded Confederations that he was in fact a God, named Celo Juicevomit the Pulpy Gut.

Despite even his pseudonym being a symbol of decadence unto rot, Celo became very popular among the faction, and created the leadership position of Master through a wave of popular support, and then graciously accepted that position himself. For 1050 years, Celo has led The Banded Confederations to greatness, winning battles, conquering settlements, and writing books--so many books!

And most of these books?

Patriotic overtures to The Banded Confederations! Amazingly, there are many tales with wicked humor and delightful wit that bespeak glowing praise of his faction of choice. Celo has even gone so far as to have written himself an autobiography, wherein he plainly discloses that he was, in fact, a mere gopher devil who tricked his way to godhood. It certainly makes it seem like perfectly accepted common knowledge.

I feel incredibly moved. For it seems, to me, that although Xosun Goldenjudges may have infiltrated with cruel ulterior motives, he seems to have earnestly pursued ensuring the greater prosperity of his people ever since. Even in meeting him, he was quite charming. He was humble and demure and gracious.

He declared himself unfit to brave danger with me himself, but also "I am loath to send you on a hopeless quest to best foes beyond your ability and comprehension, although I admire all you have done. Perhaps one of my subjects has need of your skills." And then openly offered for me to bring one of his soldiers with me.

My imagination is spinning a culture for the nation of my Human's allegiance:
A people who chuckle coyly to one another knowingly about their beloved leader, understanding that beings can change, and are capable of doing grandly virtuous things if only they are given the chance. A people who jovially raise a toast to their favorite Gopher Devil every night.

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
Re: Of what measure is "evil", anyway...?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 10:10:23 am »

Do an adventure story of you serving the gofer dudes cause!
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

Frontestro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Of what measure is "evil", anyway...?
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 10:16:33 am »

My god... I never thought of it that way... damn it dwarf fortress you touch upon our deepest fears and hopes and dreams yet again.