Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Engravers are snarky?  (Read 2175 times)

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
Dwarf Engravers are snarky?
« on: July 21, 2012, 10:14:54 am »

I'm really not sure what to make of this.

Engraved on the wall is a finely-designed image of 'Boss' Cavegloves the dwarf and a king cobra man by Rigoth Nisgakmeng. 'Boss' Cavegloves is embracing the king cobra man.

The artwork relates to my long time manager/record keeper and newly appointed Baroness.

To the best of my knoledge there have never been king cobra men on the map...
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Engravers are snarky?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 10:17:59 am »

Yeah. I made a mod with a race that combines the corpse-eating-y-ness of elves with the hostility of goblins, and half the engravings in my fortress are of this race devouring random humans (which is odd because they're the exact same size)...

And I also had an instance of my mayor being surrounded by blood gnats (hateable vermin that he hated) in his office. This can't be a coincidence.
My wooden badge was delicious.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 10:26:15 am »

Usually its due to a grudge, or some other attribute of the engraver, that makes hir want to carve what will scare/annoy another dwarf.   ... usually in his bedroom/office.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 10:31:07 am »

Oh wait, I was looking at Lady Caveglove's status page. She likes "king cobra men for their charming hood."
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 10:37:09 am »

Oh wait, I was looking at Lady Caveglove's status page. She likes "king cobra men for their charming hood."
That's... somewhat disturbing, when you consider the kind of thing "hood" can be a euphemism for. Or "embracing" for that matter.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 10:38:43 am »

I like the little stories that come out of this.
I once had a mason/engraver who got beaten up pretty bad for violation of production order. The hammerer was also captain of the guard and had been militia commander before, I should have chosen a weaker dwarf. The mason spent a year in the hospital and eventually made a full recovery. Then I had him engrave a huge dining room. He started making engravings of plaster casts, which he had been wearing for a year. Then he made lots of engravings of the hammerer surrounded by lizards (which he detests) and engravings relating to his removal from the office of militia commander (but none for the appointment to other offices). Many years later he still kept doing this, although he has not listed the hammerer as a grudge.
I found that hilarious and since then I try to read all engravings, they're great.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 04:03:35 pm »

Ages ago I had a dwarf engrave an image of another dwarf embracing pixies.

walkwithoutrhythm

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Spice]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 04:16:28 pm »

My favorite engraving was of a cyclops punching and bruising the left eyelid of an elf.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 04:28:07 pm »

race devouring random humans (which is odd because they're the exact same size)...

Elves are smaller than humans and that doesn't stop the devouring. Devour doesn't mean "eat whole", it just means... "eat".

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 08:34:19 pm »

Here's a scenario I had:

Dwarfette A was the girlfriend of Dwarf A.  Dwarfette B was A's best friend.  B and the Dwarf had a grudge going on.

Dwarfette A was constantly engraving pictures of some vermin her boyfriend hated in his office.  His girlfriend did this, not the dwarf he had a grudge with.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.