Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Did I just discover a new atom smasher?  (Read 3225 times)

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Did I just discover a new atom smasher?
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 01:12:51 pm »

So semi-useful  for atom-smashing purposes. Sounds pretty dwarfy to dump all those goblin corpses in the river... "the winter will take care of it".

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2012, 02:01:34 pm »

Dig out the chunk of ice that the ranger was frozen in. That'll free his skeleton and gear. (Melting the ice won't work, for some reason. Or maybe it does, but leaves the items invisible like flow sometimes does.)

That's just it, I didn't (dig them out), afraid the ice would melt at any time. And everything disappeared when the ice melted. The "any ideas" bit was more about what happened, not how to get the stuff (not that valuable, had made a memorial slab to him already).
I guess what you do is turn temperature off while the water is frozen.  Then you have plenty of time to recover the body and stuff.  Not that I would have thought of it at the time, either.   :)
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2012, 07:25:13 am »

Slight Necro.

Came back to this "experiment" with some more tests.
Apparently if you dump things into a quantum stockpile, and then build a wall on top POOF GONE!

Same function as a atom smasher, but no need to link up a bridge and such!
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2012, 08:52:23 am »

Slight Necro.

Came back to this "experiment" with some more tests.
Apparently if you dump things into a quantum stockpile, and then build a wall on top POOF GONE!

Same function as a atom smasher, but no need to link up a bridge and such!

Erm... at least when I try to build constructions on tiles with items in them, is suspends the construction due to item blocking site error. At least with buildings it moves the items out of the way on it's own. If the items are forbidden, as would be expected if you made the quantum stockpile by dumping, then they don't move them, and I get item blocking site error. That's how it should work, and how I've observed it. Are you sure your dwarves didn't either move the items away (if you've unforbidden them), or that they didn't teleport somewhere else, due to this bug?

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2012, 09:46:48 am »

AH ok, it seems this ONLY works when the items are tossed on top of a bridge that is already raised.
The birdge in the UP position makes a spot like a single columne that trash lands on.  When you build over that spot, it treats it as floating.

I guess if the trash is just on "ground" it doesn't work.
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?
Pages: 1 [2]