Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Did I just discover a new atom smasher?  (Read 3223 times)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
Did I just discover a new atom smasher?
« on: June 07, 2012, 09:50:54 pm »

In the process of building an old school Atom smasher, I think I discovered something.
I built a 1x3 space for a drawbridge, linked it up, and retracted it.  Above was the dump zone, and I set everyone to dumping.
Now... When the bridge went up, it created a block at the end, meaning there was really only a 1x2 spot for trash to drop into the intended zone.
As it was about 60 items ALL fell atop the bridge.

I couldn't think of a way to get to it, so I thought "HEY! when you order someone to build something in a square, they tend to shovel aside all the items in said square... If I order someone to build a wall on top of the bridge block, they should shove aside all the garbage!"

Well.... I did so, and the garbage... vanished.
I deconstructed wall, and it was gone... Just.. POOF
What the flarg?
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Did I just discover a new atom smasher?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 10:07:16 pm »

Erm...huh? You can't build walls on bridges...I don't think I'm understanding you.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 10:14:21 pm »

He built the wall on the space  above the raised bridge. Items on top of closed doors and raised bridges stay where they are, despite the tile being treated as open space - and so things can be built on them. And since the items cannot be moved out of the way, the construction is suspended, or the items go poof.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 12:13:49 am »

Are the items gone from the stocks menu as well?

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 05:21:57 am »

as far as I can tell yes... I had about 4 lists of body parts, now I have less then one.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 07:15:58 am »

Intriguing ...

Now how do we weaponise it ... cage an animal, dump the cage and try to make it vanish?
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 07:21:39 am »

I think your wall now looks like this.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 07:25:31 am »

From what I can tell this is what happened.
0 = wall
*= raised bridge
-- = sace where the bridge would oocupy
r = garbage

0r    0
0*--0

Since you cannot build on top of something, al lof the trash was in "floor space" the magic space between one layer in the next.
Now I didn't build the wall 'on top" of the trash, I built it hanging over the space where the raised bridge was. The trash was on top of the raised bridge section, trash was on top of that.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 07:32:38 am »

Related to this, does frozen water atomsmash stuff inside it? I was under the impression it wouldn't.

However, I've had a hunter's corpse and his gear lying in a river for a few years now, as said river is at the bottom of a chasm, and I was waiting for my bridge-damming-river-at-flick-of-a-lever project to be done until I'd try to recover it (since it would be trivial to do so at that point).

Now, I think the river froze for the first time ever, despite the fort being several years old. Either that or I never noticed before, but this should be pretty obvious (temperature on the whole time). The biome is mostly/all warm, and it was frozen for less than a month, I think - a short time, anyway. And the source end never froze (about 40 tiles in length from map edge).

I was under the impression that the items and corpse would just get encased in ice, but apparently they either got atomsmashed (since they didn't reappear when the ice melted), or my dwarves were sneaky and stockpiled everything when I wasn't looking. Which shouldn't be possible either, since according to my understanding the items should have been encased in the ice, and I didn't dig it out. It also destroyed some other stuff lying in the river (a kobold corpse, vermin remains, etc.). So... any ideas?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 08:01:19 am »

This sounds like it might be some holdover logic from the old 2D versions - back then, it was possible for a tantrum to destroy a bridge and leave its components "floating" over the chasm or cave river, but since building a new bridge would require moving the old items out of the way (and there was no possible way to get to them), it would simply destroy them instead.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 08:51:20 am »

Related to this, does frozen water atomsmash stuff inside it? I was under the impression it wouldn't.

However, I've had a hunter's corpse and his gear lying in a river for a few years now, as said river is at the bottom of a chasm, and I was waiting for my bridge-damming-river-at-flick-of-a-lever project to be done until I'd try to recover it (since it would be trivial to do so at that point).

Now, I think the river froze for the first time ever, despite the fort being several years old. Either that or I never noticed before, but this should be pretty obvious (temperature on the whole time). The biome is mostly/all warm, and it was frozen for less than a month, I think - a short time, anyway. And the source end never froze (about 40 tiles in length from map edge).

I was under the impression that the items and corpse would just get encased in ice, but apparently they either got atomsmashed (since they didn't reappear when the ice melted), or my dwarves were sneaky and stockpiled everything when I wasn't looking. Which shouldn't be possible either, since according to my understanding the items should have been encased in the ice, and I didn't dig it out. It also destroyed some other stuff lying in the river (a kobold corpse, vermin remains, etc.). So... any ideas?
Dig out the chunk of ice that the ranger was frozen in. That'll free his skeleton and gear. (Melting the ice won't work, for some reason. Or maybe it does, but leaves the items invisible like flow sometimes does.)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 08:59:16 am »

IIRC the items are in "ice hyperspace" and can only be found by digging out the solid ice. They won't reappear when the ice melts.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 10:27:48 am »

Oh wow, the term 'Ice Hyperspace" just had me 'lol' ;D

So you can store soemthing in Ice. let it melt and it goes into 'Hyperspace'
And then when that spot becomes ice again, if you mine it out, the items are there again?

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 12:32:59 pm »

Dig out the chunk of ice that the ranger was frozen in. That'll free his skeleton and gear. (Melting the ice won't work, for some reason. Or maybe it does, but leaves the items invisible like flow sometimes does.)

That's just it, I didn't (dig them out), afraid the ice would melt at any time. And everything disappeared when the ice melted. The "any ideas" bit was more about what happened, not how to get the stuff (not that valuable, had made a memorial slab to him already).

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 12:54:37 pm »

If I remember correctly (and I am certain to be corrected if I am wrong) if water containing items freezes the items will be safe and sound if you dig them out.  If the water unfreezes on its own, however, the items are forever lost.
Pages: [1] 2