Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sleep in barracks at need, at will or sleep in bed at will..... what?  (Read 876 times)

Xenogenic

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you will find the magma leak eventually.
    • View Profile

Pretty much what the topic says. I can't seem to find the difference between the options. I noticed in my save (which was ported from 34.07 to 34.11), my marksdwarves don't seem to use archery targets if set to sleep in barracks at need, but they would when barracks at will was set.

Okay, so sleep in bed is kind of obvious, but what is the difference between "at need" and "at will?"

Thanks in advance for any help.

Xeno
Dwarven Safety is kind of like a gun in a kindergarten. every single toddler wants to play with it and they will put elaborate plans in motion to get their hands on it. A hundred tiny hands grasping for death and crawling all over you begging for it.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My guess is-

At will, if they get tired they will sleep. I.E after eating and drinking.

At need, only if they get drowsy. I.E they will eat and drink, but not sleep.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile

The choice Sleep in Barracks at Need I use.  Why?  It provides for a stronger defense.
At will is saying sleep anytime, modified by soul ratings.  Normal sleep patterns.
At need is saying sleep anytime its needed, modified by soul ratings.  Abnormal patterns.  They will sleep less often in order to complete the order.  Barracks, can be placed closer to choke points saving footfalls.  Off duty militia still sleep in their rooms, so I try and never fill my orders up to 10 soldiers at a time, so some can relax, and store their personal items, in their bedroom. 

Not sure how this effects mating and offspring.  Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.