Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Dumbest dwarven death?  (Read 21080 times)

Boost One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dumbest dwarven death?
« Reply #75 on: November 04, 2011, 05:39:38 am »

One statement:
An angry mason throws a barrel at a carpenter.
How does that kill a dwarf?

Depends. Which one died? :P

JackoftheBox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2011, 06:49:31 am »

I bet they both died. The angry mason with his/her final strength, "I will take you down with me Urist McCarpenter".
This morning I found myself looking at the numberplates of the cars on my drive in to work and seeing them as tileset characters in ASCII... a silver Renault I was behind had an interesting scene of a Human wrestling a Minotaur near a bin.

Time Blossom

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:COUCH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 04, 2011, 08:03:55 am »

Don't be silly.

It was the one in the barrel.
Time Blossom cancels everything: NaNoWriMo

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 04, 2011, 09:51:20 am »

I also had a dorf die to a danger room once. that was pretty hilarious

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 04, 2011, 02:30:52 pm »

I locked myself in when I was scared of ambushes, had dwarves on the hospital, and I forgot to bring a well dowm there.
say, I was brewing booze when I saw their thirst, just to see in the hospital page that they needed water, no need to say they were my strongest fighters.
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 04, 2011, 02:38:12 pm »

I fear murky pools because my fupping military dodge into them when the fighting gets hairy near them. I have taken to smothering the landscape in a wave of magma to fill them in.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 04, 2011, 04:38:20 pm »

I built two fortresses. One above and one below ground.

The surface dwarves would fight off invaders and then there would be garbage everywhere. The cavern-dwarves would come up and retrieve it... this took a very long time so I made a large "trash shute" where they could just throw the stuff in a hole and it fell 20 Z levels down next to the atomsmasher. This way I could clean up the battlefield in no time at all and transport wood with ease. Also rotting corpses wouldn't stink up the joint and bones would be safe from the ogres.
 At one point I began building grates over it .. and was going to put a bridge and lever there. To avoid winged enemies to completely circumnavigate my elaborate defenses .. but I cancelled the idea because I wouldn't need bridges and mechanics up there I just needed doors at the bottom .. HOWEVER the surface dwarves had already put two grates in place. So I told them to remove them.

Then I watched. The dwarves went back to the grates... and instead of standing on solid ground they stood ON the grate that the other one was trying to pull away. I didn't cancel the action because I didn't think dwarves could be that stupid .. or for it to be possible to begin with. Surely they'll cancel their task because a creature is occup-

swish. They pulled them away. From under eachothers feet... and they both fell 20 Z levels into the atom smasher room. EXPLODING on impact in front of the eyes of a very traumatised dwarven child.

edit:
 Also I once had to construct a burrow, to disable the farming job, forbid every last square inch of a farm plot and everything in it and erect a RESTRICTED TRAFFIC zone around it to keep dwarves out.
 Why? Because it was on fire. The dwarves still DESPERATELY wanted to plant and harvest ... fortunately no one died but it was so ... CLOSE... Dwarven Safety is kind of like a gun in a kindergarten. every single toddler wants to play with it and they will put elaborate plans in motion to get their hands on it. A hundred tiny hands grasping for death and crawling all over you begging for it.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 04:49:34 pm by Aspgren »
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Frelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 04, 2011, 05:03:04 pm »

Dwarven Safety is kind of like a gun in a kindergarten. every single toddler wants to play with it and they will put elaborate plans in motion to get their hands on it. A hundred tiny hands grasping for death and crawling all over you begging for it.
Man, I really need to make a post in the quote-text thread....
Sadly my sig is so full at the moment, but feel symbollically sigged
greetz
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Then it's Fun and Dwarf Fortress.
My trade depot is set to flood with water at the pull of a lever.  It's deep in the tunnels with easy drainage.  I call it my "water for goods" trading policy.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 04, 2011, 05:33:01 pm »

Sadly my sig is so full at the moment, but feel symbollically sigged

I feel symbolically honored.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Zahariel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 04, 2011, 06:42:20 pm »

Oh man. I think my worst was as follows. I had built a little water feature in my dining hall, with sewers to drain it to the first cavern. A while later, one of my masons is doing... something... and decides that he just HAS to have one of the rocks left behind from digging out the sewer. So he goes down there, and of course loses his footing and gets washed out, dropping 6 levels to the floor of the first cavern, suffering broken bones everywhere and quickly drowning to death.

This is not the dumb part. After this happened I set up some vertical bars to prevent people being washed out, and forbade all the rocks in there anyway, but it's just the sort of thing you expect when playing with water features. The dumb part is this next bit. After a while the cavern started getting kind of flooded, which was annoying since the sewer outlet was basically right next to the cavern exit from my fortress. So I turned it off for a little while, and dug a shaft from where the water was flooding down to the 2nd cavern. Of course this would eventually cause major flooding in the 2nd cavern, but I didn't care because I wasn't using it for anything. I turn the water back on and it works fine. Now, some time later, I get the announcement "Urist McMason has suffocated." Just kind of out of the blue. "WTF?" says I. I go find his corpse: it's on the floor of the 2nd cavern, below where the new drainage shaft lets out. ARRGH. My guess is, he decided he just HAD to have the one rock left behind from digging the bottom end of that shaft, and goes to get it. And gets washed out, and falls 11 or 12 levels, dying almost instantly from having his upper body pretty much flattened to a pancake. Apparently, he didn't learn anything from his buddy doing the same damn thing the previous year. And neither did I.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #85 on: November 04, 2011, 06:44:44 pm »

Oh man. I think my worst was as follows. I had built a little water feature in my dining hall, with sewers to drain it to the first cavern. A while later, one of my masons is doing... something... and decides that he just HAS to have one of the rocks left behind from digging out the sewer. So he goes down there, and of course loses his footing and gets washed out, dropping 6 levels to the floor of the first cavern, suffering broken bones everywhere and quickly drowning to death.

This is not the dumb part. After this happened I set up some vertical bars to prevent people being washed out, and forbade all the rocks in there anyway, but it's just the sort of thing you expect when playing with water features. The dumb part is this next bit. After a while the cavern started getting kind of flooded, which was annoying since the sewer outlet was basically right next to the cavern exit from my fortress. So I turned it off for a little while, and dug a shaft from where the water was flooding down to the 2nd cavern. Of course this would eventually cause major flooding in the 2nd cavern, but I didn't care because I wasn't using it for anything. I turn the water back on and it works fine. Now, some time later, I get the announcement "Urist McMason has suffocated." Just kind of out of the blue. "WTF?" says I. I go find his corpse: it's on the floor of the 2nd cavern, below where the new drainage shaft lets out. ARRGH. My guess is, he decided he just HAD to have the one rock left behind from digging the bottom end of that shaft, and goes to get it. And gets washed out, and falls 11 or 12 levels, dying almost instantly from having his upper body pretty much flattened to a pancake. Apparently, he didn't learn anything from his buddy doing the same damn thing the previous year. And neither did I.

That sounds like an awesome dwarven death :p

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 04, 2011, 07:10:31 pm »

So, I simply must share this. Just happened, too.

So, I was making a huge sinkhole and would connect it to the river. so I finished chanelling one side and told the miner to channel the other side.

What does the moron do? HE JUMPS INTO THE FUCKING WATERFALL SO HE COULD GET TO THE OTHER SIDE!

The miner was on the left side, he was supposed to channel on the X. that red ramp is due to his blood.

EDIT: make that two miners.

EDIT 2: A third moron fell in, this time by going from the right side to the left by swimming in the river (and getting pulled down) in his incredibly smart path back to the wagon. It should be a crime to be so dumb. He's still allive, by the way, but will die pretty fast.

FINAL EDIT: last miner fell in, but I wasn't watching, so I didn't get to laugh at him. Out of picks now.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 07:18:50 pm by Deathsword »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Edosurist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 04, 2011, 08:39:13 pm »

One statement:
An angry mason throws a barrel at a carpenter.
How does that kill a dwarf?

Depends. Which one died? :P

Well, the carpenter died first, but the mason was later killed by a cougar since he was walking off in the woods, stark raving mad...
So now all we've got to do is to put a couple of grannies into the LHC and smash them against each other at relativistic speeds. Lather, rinse, repeat until we got results.

Kallin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 04, 2011, 08:44:45 pm »

Does "Starving to death because he's been throwing tantrums because he's hungry" count?
I'm on and off. I usually pop up for a few months then head out for a few.

You've got tentacle teeth or ribbon goblins.  Pick your poison.

Edosurist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 04, 2011, 08:46:08 pm »

indeed it does  :D
So now all we've got to do is to put a couple of grannies into the LHC and smash them against each other at relativistic speeds. Lather, rinse, repeat until we got results.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8