Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rain cistern not filling up?  (Read 639 times)

Xenogenic

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you will find the magma leak eventually.
    • View Profile
Rain cistern not filling up?
« on: June 02, 2012, 07:34:50 am »

So I just completed my rain cistern, which is 10 z levels above ground to catch water safely above the goblins. It is raining, but the cistern won't fill up. Anyone else have experience with this?
Dwarven Safety is kind of like a gun in a kindergarten. every single toddler wants to play with it and they will put elaborate plans in motion to get their hands on it. A hundred tiny hands grasping for death and crawling all over you begging for it.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Rain cistern not filling up?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 07:41:03 am »

yes, rain does not produce actual water. Never did, and probably never will. You will need to fill it via pumps from the underground caverns, which always have water.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 07:42:08 am »

Murky pools will refill when it rains, but that's a quality of murky pools, not of the rain.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Xenogenic

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you will find the magma leak eventually.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 07:53:16 am »

Oh... that's bad news... any ideas on alternate uses for a 10 z level tall tower? It's supported by a single central 4x4 pillar, has a cistern on the top and has a aqueduct leading into a tower on my fortress...

Any way I could use it to help kill those damn crocodile riding archer goblins that keep harassing me?

Edit: Actually, it's not quite right: I have noticed rain fills up the cistern, but only if there is some water already in the cistern. So if my bucket squad puts 1/7 water in the cistern, and rain hits that 1/7 it will become 2/7. Only problem is my bucket squad + rain can't beat the speed of evaporation.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 07:56:25 am by Xenogenic »
Dwarven Safety is kind of like a gun in a kindergarten. every single toddler wants to play with it and they will put elaborate plans in motion to get their hands on it. A hundred tiny hands grasping for death and crawling all over you begging for it.

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 08:30:00 am »

You can try pumping water to it. Pumps are fun.
Magma is more fun. Rain, like pumps, is also fun.
Add them all up.
Pumping magma rain. Now that's just too fun.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 08:40:46 am »

have your bucket squad consider it a pond the entirety of the cistern, build more buckets, have more dwarves do it.
if there is something like 3/7 in every angle then it should fill up by itself. but once again, it will work only for one z level, for the next one, you'll have to rinse-repeat.
or use df-hack and place a river tile on the upper 1*st* z level.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.