Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do dresses prevent dwarves from wearing pants?  (Read 1011 times)

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
Do dresses prevent dwarves from wearing pants?
« on: June 05, 2012, 02:28:58 pm »

I have several hundred trousers and dozens of skirts lying around, many of the trousers I know are brand new.  But there's a child wearing a dress who is running around tantruming because she has no pants.

I understand that a dress doesn't count as a lower body covering, but, if I'm looking at this right, it does appear to cover the lower body (LBSTEP is MAX).  So does it actually prevent dwarves from wearing pants?
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
Re: Do dresses prevent dwarves from wearing pants?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 05:10:56 pm »

I have Dwarves wearing dresses and trousers together.  Actually, I used to do that in secondary school when it was cold out, because the dress code required girls to wear skirts.   :D
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 05:37:00 pm »

Huh.  Ok, then I guess its just normal dwarven stupidity at work.  The kid eventually went berserk and died.  Her death has officially been ruled as an acute case of being too absurdly stupid to pick up a pair of pants.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 06:48:29 pm »

Well, Urist Mcdarwin award goes to the child.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 08:09:50 pm »

See but you can't compare the rl Darwin Awards to the dwarven Darwin Awards, because dwarves are infinitely dumber.
ヽ(´ー`)┌[>゜))))彡]   Dwarf Therapist User Guide

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 08:56:35 pm »

See but you can't compare the rl Darwin Awards to the dwarven Darwin Awards, because dwarves are infinitely dumber.

Well it doesn't matter how dumb they are, as long as they're dumber than the rest of their species.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 09:13:12 pm »

Well, being too dumb to wear a pair of pants isn't exactly anything special by dwarven standards, when you think about it. More Urists have died for dumber reasons.

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 09:23:37 pm »

Yes but failure to put on pants and going insane because you don't have pants while there're pants literally a few steps away from you is... yeah.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 09:49:45 pm »

How about throwing your shirt away in a tantrum over not having trousers, and then getting even more upset because you now have no shirt?  They've been known to do that, too. :D
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 10:00:14 pm »

The only reason I could think would be that there were somehow no pants available.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 03:52:11 pm »

The only reason I could think would be that there were somehow no pants available.
Oh, there were pants.  So many pants!  Pants by the bin full.  Dwarf pants, goblin pants, little kobold pants, new pants, used pants, leather pants, silk pants, pants made from sissy elven cloth... name your pants, my fort's got 'em!  I even made a whole batch of brand new pants, just for her!

I had a clothing shortage early on in this fort, so I kinda went overboard on the pants, shirts, and shoes production.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 04:18:31 pm »

Oh, there were pants.  So many pants!  Pants by the bin full.  Dwarf pants, goblin pants, little kobold pants, new pants, used pants, leather pants, silk pants, pants made from sissy elven cloth... name your pants, my fort's got 'em!  I even made a whole batch of brand new pants, just for her!

I had a clothing shortage early on in this fort, so I kinda went overboard on the pants, shirts, and shoes production.

I've had a militairy dwarf stand patienly near the mayor to tell him he was angry about having no pants, hit some other people in the process, shout at the mayor, and go get one of the dozens of available pants. Crazy dorfs
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.