Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: weird river name - Stpdjw th scrching fr  (Read 4183 times)

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: weird river name - Stpdjw th scrching fr
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2012, 09:19:23 am »

It appears to be abbreviating the name - although I have no idea what would cause that.

Also, this might not be correct, because why would a river be named "Stupidjaw the Scorching Fire"?

Maybe it's not StupidJAW.

Perhaps it's an anti-Semitic river. ;)
A river of fire that hate jews makes more sense, actually.

I was hoping that me taking a class on WWII would be an excuse for thinking that, but I see some people think of it normally...

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2012, 07:45:41 pm »

This is a good feature, like captchas that insult or amuse you. A cookie to anyone that manages to get anything abreviated to something funny, sick, dirty or including the word boobs.
Given that vowels seem to be discarded in the abbreviated sentences, it would be unlikely that anyone gets "boobs" at all.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2012, 07:47:47 pm »

It appears to be abbreviating the name - although I have no idea what would cause that.

Also, this might not be correct, because why would a river be named "Stupidjaw the Scorching Fire"?

Maybe it's not StupidJAW.

Perhaps it's an anti-Semitic river. ;)
A river of fire that hate jews makes more sense, actually.

I was hoping that me taking a class on WWII would be an excuse for thinking that, but I see some people think of it normally...

I think their hell is a lake of fire, but close enough.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2012, 09:18:22 pm »

This kind of name shortening has been around since before I started playing (0.31.08).  Try pressing F11 to see it in TTF mode to see if it displays the entire thing.  TTF uses about half the space, typically, so the entire name tends to show up that way (but has, or had, a display bug so its annoying sometimes).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"
Pages: 1 [2]