Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My fort is on the brink of death  (Read 2608 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
My fort is on the brink of death
« on: May 24, 2012, 06:12:22 pm »

Begone, foul spirit! Avaunt! This is no place for the weak of heart, searching through the ages to find the source of me. Begone, I say! BEGONE!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 10:21:17 am by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Just Some Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My fort is on the brink of death
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 06:19:31 pm »

Dig deep until you find cotton candy. Mine all of it in more than 2x2 sections. Wall in your fort's entrance and engrave every single wall.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 06:42:54 pm »

So far what I have been assigning everyone to haul and clean, but the temper tantrums are building so this may not be the best option. My main concern is the miasma and the potential ghosts. as to looking for "cotton candy", i think i will just try to patch my fort up to its previous strengh, and then look for Fun
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Just Some Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 07:08:17 pm »

Get every dwarf outside, wall up any entrances and flood the place with magma. That should solve your hygiene problem.

As for the ghosts, build some workshops and make a several z-story labyrinth with a slab in the middle to memorialize the fallen out of soap.

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 07:29:25 pm »

If the tantrums spiral out of hand, grab the happiest dwarves and burrow them in a remote area, along with some seeds, a few logs and a pickaxe. Build anew.
If it is still possible, try to burrow every other unhappy or near-tantrum dwarf in another area and seal it tight. You can also try atom smashing the misbehaving dwarves when noone is looking...
(a>b) ? false : true

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 07:42:55 pm »

If the tantrums spiral out of hand, grab the happiest dwarves and burrow them in a remote area, along with some seeds, a few logs and a pickaxe. Build anew.
If it is still possible, try to burrow every other unhappy or near-tantrum dwarf in another area and seal it tight. You can also try atom smashing the misbehaving dwarves when noone is looking...
lol yes I think that would work...however, I have a soft spot for the dwarves, wee drink guzzling pets that they are, so I was hoping for a solution which would save as many as possible...plus, on a completely unrelated matter, a lot of them have good skills :P

Edit: I just had a look and one of the dwarves is ecstatic..wth? he is practically wading in his brethrens entrails and he is ecstatic...id better nip that one in the bud :D
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 07:49:54 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 07:49:26 pm »

lol yes I think that would work...however, I have a soft spot for the dwarves, wee drink guzzling pets that they are, so I was hoping for a solution which would save as many as possible...plus, on a completely unrelated matter, a lot of them have good skills :P
Quarantining the dwarves is the way to save the most, I assure you. Have the dwarves set up ~40 seperate chambers. Have them stocked with substaintial food, and booze, and a bed. These should dieally be located in what were once the houses of your former fort. Wait a good while in these chamber, eventually the dwarves will have calmed down. Let them out as their moods stabalize, and make sure to assign them the best possible rooms. (AKA one at a time, giving them the best rooms. If a dwarf has managed to sustain a good mood through out all of this, he can stay outside of the chambers.)
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 08:02:13 pm »

i'm sure the burrows are a good method, but what about the corpses? the ghosts? i may get a happyish work force when they leave, but if they start wading through bodies again im sure that wont help....
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 09:52:02 pm »

i'm sure the burrows are a good method, but what about the corpses? the ghosts? i may get a happyish work force when they leave, but if they start wading through bodies again im sure that wont help....
I suggest you memorilize before you lock them up.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 10:18:18 pm »

I'm pretty sure once they've got confirmation that a dwarf is dead rather than missing, they'll know they're forced to endure the decaying of a friend whether or not they go see the body again.  Dwarves are stupid but not Fox News stupid, you can't just tell 'em everything's okay and have 'em believe it as long as you don't wave corpses in their faces.

Don't try to do too much at once.  Look at cleaning up, exorcism, improving morale, and improving security as separate jobs, and handle them separately, in whichever order seems most appropriate to you.  You have a severely diminished workforce, and tantrums, insanity, or lack of booze will slow them down even more.  Don't slow things down even further by working in multiple directions with no focus.  You might think you're making progress getting a little done on every task, but what you're actually doing is stretching out the time in which NONE of these jobs is completed.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 12:10:41 pm »

oh dear lord, im finally repairing the damage, the halls are being swept clean and i had ten new migrants. then the damn goblins ambush...literally only survived previous attack, but now i have absolutely no military compared to my previous 40 well trained, though badly equipped ones. I cannot catch a break....

Edit: well.....seems a group of 30 vengeful newly created soldiers still had a bit of blood lust in them :P it was like watching a massacre, though it was the goblins turn this time :D
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 12:22:58 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 01:07:09 pm »

oh dear lord, im finally repairing the damage, the halls are being swept clean and i had ten new migrants. then the damn goblins ambush...literally only survived previous attack, but now i have absolutely no military compared to my previous 40 well trained, though badly equipped ones. I cannot catch a break....

Edit: well.....seems a group of 30 vengeful newly created soldiers still had a bit of blood lust in them :P it was like watching a massacre, though it was the goblins turn this time :D
How did you do it?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2012, 06:00:11 pm »

How did you do it?

I sent all the happier dwarves underground into my cavern fort, which had a few beds and food. i then set the unhappy ones to cleaning the place up. when all miasma causing things were gone, i brought them back up and conscripted a lot of masons and made coffins and memorial stones. Still, i have only managed to make a few fine, the rest are unhappy or miserable, but it is gradually improving and i think the tantrum spiral has been broken out of...I hope anyway :/
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2012, 03:15:03 am »

Build a simple waterfall! Every bit of happy thought counts.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Waterfall#Design_example

And dont forget to wall off the cavern again, unless you want to have a FB to join in on your fun.
(a>b) ? false : true