Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: need to kill clowns, but how...?  (Read 3148 times)

RLPudding

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
need to kill clowns, but how...?
« on: July 25, 2012, 07:29:03 am »

Hey, so as the title sais, I have to kill some clowns. But I dont know how I should tackle this problem.
In my mind I have a design of narrow corridors with ballistas at the end + my military. Would that be enough?

And also, how to I open the candy to let them out, without sacrificing a dwarf?

Well, I could just let them party, where they are, but I kind of want the rest of the candy aswell.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: need to kill clowns, but how...?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 08:31:08 am »

look up the community fortress of swordthunders by ThatAussieGuy.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 09:31:39 am »

And also, how to I open the candy to let them out, without sacrificing a dwarf?

Have a drawbridge very close to where you will let them out. As soon as, or right before, your dwarf passes the drawbridge, assign a task to pull the lever that you attached to the drawbridge to raise it. When the dwarf gets back to a safe place, pull the lever again to let them pass. There are simpler ways, but they may be somewhat exploity.

...narrow corridors with ballistas at the end

Ballistas don't work very well. It is very rare for someone to say they have had success with them.

My approach is as follows. Since you are already prepared to fight sieges coming from outside your fortress, dig a hole outside your fortress walls down to the clown house. So when they emerge, they will be outside your fortress. I prefer not to fight them hand to hand (or whatever they have in place of hands). I use Marksdwarfs behind fortifications patrolling along my fortress walls. Since clowns can fly, you need to be able to seal off your fortress from flying creatures. Have your patrol areas covered from above. Any entrances inside your fortress walls must also be protected or they will fly over the walls and down the steps or ramps and into your fortress; I use drawbridges.

The last time I tried this, 102 clowns emerged. I killed all but 5 who wouldn't leave a magma pipe in the caverns that had a Forgotten Beast that couldn't swim at the bottom (he fell in fighting the clowns).

It helps if you have already had to deal with flying enemies. Maybe play a mod that has flying enemies to practice against first.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 11:26:19 am »

Dwarven Machine shotgun. And by that I mean, Minecarts at excessive speeds loaded with several hundred serated disks/flasks/spears/arrows, then stacked up and fired off in rapid succession.

Alternatively, dwarven drivebys. Marksmen + Minecart
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 12:10:23 pm »

I just defeated them for the first time in my last fort. Quite the disappointment, but maybe I went a bit overboard with the traps.
Details and image:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 12:13:13 pm »

Just a note here on that spike toggle thing, but if you arel unlucky enough to get some that are made of fire then their deaths will cause explosions hot enough to melt steel. While this can (and probably will) take out others near them, it can also rather easily destroy any type of spike trap nearby, so it's a good idea to at least have a back up plan.

Also on the discovering them without unleashing them what you do is carve fortifications into the rock. If there is an opening on the other side it will reveal it but not let anything through (except maybe fireballs or deadly syndrome gas, but that's short range only), and if there isn't then you can mine out the fortification and get the ore.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 05:33:44 am »

look up the community fortress of swordthunders by ThatAussieGuy.

Actually the community fort is to reclaim the place after I ran the civ into extinction.  The link to the Checkerboard thread's in my sig if you want it, RLPudding.

nopil3os

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 06:15:50 pm »

while the checkerboard method surely is more dwarfy i found it much easier to lure them somewhere for marksdwarves behind fortifications to shoot them. and after they killed 20 of the clowns you get bored and collapse a portion of the mountain above the rest of them.
I'd be shocked if dwarves didn't eat the demons they killed. After all, if they're willing to eat a poison spewing monstrosity, why not a flying dinosaur thing that hates all life?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 06:39:50 pm »

Ballistas don't work very well. It is very rare for someone to say they have had success with them.
I used exceptional/masterwork steel ballista bolts once in v0.31.25 and they worked reasonably well, though I eventually resorted to using marksdwarves through some nearby fortifications to finish them off (simply because ballista arrows have really crappy aim and most of them were hitting the walls).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 07:41:26 pm »

The trick is A. getting enough ballista bolts, B. firing them accurately, and C. preventing siege operators from fleeing partway through the process.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.