Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Safe from Bogeymen  (Read 4353 times)

Hylas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Safe from Bogeymen
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2012, 04:00:09 pm »

I find hiding under the covers works pretty well, or have your mom check under the bed.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2012, 05:19:15 pm »

Having one follower will prevent bogeymen, and if you do not use the fast travel system at night then they won't spawn either (IIRC).
Confirming that no fast travel = no boogeymen. Just lost all my companions to a goblin ambush, and spent the whole night walking the hard way back to town.

I've had them attack me while walking at night though and even without fast travel; it seems more related to the environment in question. Savage biomes seem to less likely to spawn them than calm ones as well; of course, even when they do spawn there you can always lead them towards a herd of the local wildlife and slip away in the confusion. A few versions ago, I created an adventurer with the explicit purpose of getting a full set of adamantine armor and wreaking vengeance on boogeymen, who wouldn't show up in the local savage swamp region no matter how many nights I spent walking around.

I went out into a calm savannah and had waves of them come at me.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2012, 05:53:13 pm »

I've had them attack me while walking at night though and even without fast travel; it seems more related to the environment in question.
Indeed. It's the very reason I went on my first mountain pilgrimage in the first place, to avoid becoming night creature gobble. That said, I underestimated the size of the mountain range, and after many dozens of giant eagles when my adventurer finally reached the other side, he was hunting bogeymen.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2012, 12:16:56 am »

Yes, eventually bogeymen lose their fear factor.  Then they become what they truly are...  Delicious delicious walking experience that appears rather reliably.

On a side note, when you have multiple legendary skills, peasants start saying, 'Only a legend like you can travel at night, I'd get torn apart by the bogeymen.' Oh.  Well, I'm going to go hunting bogeymen.  I don't even need a quest now...
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2012, 02:40:47 am »

Yes, eventually bogeymen lose their fear factor.  Then they become what they truly are...  Delicious delicious walking experience that appears rather reliably

You should just start calling them what I do

Magic Kung-fu Babies

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2012, 03:27:42 am »

Certain biomes may prevent bogeymen, but you can still get creatures of the night. Just got slaughtered in the mountains by a Woman something... that was male:p
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Hammerstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2012, 11:30:50 am »

Certain biomes may prevent bogeymen, but you can still get creatures of the night. Just got slaughtered in the mountains by a Woman something... that was male:p
So, then the reason I met no boogeymen that night was because I was running through a haunted desert?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2012, 11:25:45 pm »

:o That would be an interesting turn of events.

Merchant: Well, there's no bogeymen around here beca-
Adventurer: Sweet, I'm setting up camp in the woods tonight.
*Adventurer leaves*
Merchant: Because of the Giant Badger and Giant Dingo Husks...
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

azrael300

• Bay Watcher
  • WERE GOING TO LIVE :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2012, 12:07:47 am »

How can I be sure I'm safe from bogeymen when I'm not in towns?  From reading around on the wiki, I know that being in a lair works, but can you sleep in the lair, or do you need to wait until dawn? 

I'm trying to do some longer distance traveling with a character who is starting to be decent, and I'm not sure how I'm supposed to make the trips which are more than one day between hamlets, or where I don't know what I'm looking for, i.e. just roughing it in the wilderness. Waiting in lairs is fine, but obviously you get drowsy pretty easily.

Any tips or guides that I may have overlooked?
get a gun and a sign saying (boogeymen beware of crazy man with a gun)and bring doctor who with you and another sign saying(and a crazy man with a blue box)the doctor who part should make them get heart attacks.
Edit. Oh Jesus Christ, Necro would be proud. The second horse in the caravan came in and immediately caught on fire. I looked into his inventory and found a burning pig tail fiber bag. Curious, I looked inside.
quote above is by yuriruler90
Pages: 1 [2]