Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Conquering the raging river  (Read 6998 times)

Zerkuron1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Conquering the raging river
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2012, 04:32:05 pm »

magma sounds like the best kind of idea

Magma is always the best and most dwarf-like idea!

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2012, 10:01:40 pm »

Build a wall over the river, above the tunnel. Drop It in.

It'll deconstruct upon impact. Nothing'll happen.

(shrug) never tried it. One of you long timers told me on a thread of mine, girlinhat or KodKod or someone, don't remember. Apparently a cave in over an unsupported floor will collapse it before the wall deconstructs.

Would work just as well if you use the dig ramps up from under a bridge under the river method.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 10:03:46 pm by rtg593 »
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

kenzosan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2012, 05:56:27 pm »

Just pissed off a bunch of elves by offering a palm bin. no worries, i got multiple draw bridges. Does anyone know if it's possible to make a geyser trap?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2012, 06:00:18 pm »

Geyser? If by weaponizing steam, not really, steam's pretty much harmless.

Major water pressure abuse on the other hand... Why yes, yes it is possible.

kenzosan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2012, 08:34:11 pm »

Geyser? If by weaponizing steam, not really, steam's pretty much harmless.

Major water pressure abuse on the other hand... Why yes, yes it is possible.
Water pressure? Abuse? please enlighten me, sensei.

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2012, 11:27:02 pm »

Pumped water will pressure-path up to the level of the highest pump.  Thus, the trick is to have a "water-tower" pump stack that pumps it up really high, then dives down as a sealed pipe into your distribution system, which can be a network of tunnels with flow controlled by lever-operated hatches or floodgates or raising bridges or what-have-you.  Opening one of those innocent-looking hatches in the floor will then send water spewing everywhere. 

This effect is, of course, even more amusing if you use magma instead.  Just make sure everything is magma-proof, or you won't be able to turn it off afterwards, which will lead to !!FUN!!. 

See also: the mechanical erupting volcano.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 11:29:24 pm by Shinziril »
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

micha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2012, 04:59:54 am »

You need a bigger drain to stop the river flow. 6-8 tiles wide is best in my opinion. Well ahead of the intended dam site.

if you double drop you can more than half

kenzosan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2012, 11:20:51 am »

ok, i've created a diversion path with the water. Used it to drown about 30 children. Can anyone give tips to prevent damage from the tantrum spiral?
Thanks!

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2012, 11:45:11 am »

De-construct all doors and add more water.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2012, 01:39:07 pm »

Dropping constructions will indeed break through floors below the impact. I often use this to connect to rivers.
Code: [Select]
Side view:
   ____
   I     
XXXX\~~~~~/XX
.......XXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXX
_ = Conctructed floor
I = Support (linked to a lever)
X = Soil or rock
. = tunnel
\/ = ramps at sides of river
~ = river water
When you pull the lever to remove the support, the right hand two floor tiles fall through the river and break through to the tunnel underneath.

You need to construct stairs to build the floor tiles on top of the support, and make sure you deconstruct them before pulling the lever, or the stairs will support the floor.

Of course, you should first build a floodgate/bridge/door in the tunnel, linked to a lever, for a master shutoff. Maybe also link it to a few strategically placed pressure plates around your fortress. So if you do make a mistake and flood your fortress, when the water hits one of the plates it will shut off the master shutoff.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2012, 01:46:19 pm »

Depends on how far away it is - if you have a volcano, you should be fine as long as you take care where you dig. If you have to bring it up from the magma sea, though, you will kill your framerate.
I realize this quote is a little late, but just a note here on how by a slight modification of your magma pumpstack design you can remove ~95% of the lag caused by magma pumpstacks. All you need to do is expand the holding chamber on each level slightly.
Code: [Select]
Normal        Modified

XXXXX          XXXXX
XX_XX          X___X
XX÷XX          XX÷XX
XX÷XX          XX÷XX
XX XX          XX XX
XXXXX          XXXXX
Then when you first start up the stack let it run until magma just starts to come out the top and then stop it for a little bit. This then lets the magma pool into the extra area on each level. At that point you can turn it on again and it should run without any significant lag (or at least not more then a water pumpstack of the same size). This is because the majority of lag caused by magma pumpstacks is due to the temperature recalculations that the game needs to do every time a block of magma is moved by a pump. Because you already have some magma on every level though, those temperature recalculations are no longer needed and it can speed the game up significantly.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 2 [3]