Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Conquering the raging river  (Read 6990 times)

kenzosan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Conquering the raging river
« on: May 04, 2012, 11:02:36 pm »

I need a bit of help on some on water building, specifically on a river. I want to be able to dam it up, so i can build flood gates and control it. However, unlike my last map, the water doesn't freeze over in the winter, so I can't count on the luxury of ice digging. I have already attempted to cause a wall collapse ontop of it in hopes to block it off, to no avail. the river meets three map edges. Anybody know how I can at least stifle the flow of water in order to build my floodgates?
Any tips, even speculation would be appreciated.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Conquering the raging river
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 11:03:14 pm »

Pumps. Lots of pumps.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 11:06:36 pm »

Yep. Either pump out a couple of rows of water (this is what we call the Red Sea effect) or pump some magma onto the river, and carefully dig out the obsdian.
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

kenzosan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 11:08:57 pm »

Yep. Either pump out a couple of rows of water (this is what we call the Red Sea effect) or pump some magma onto the river, and carefully dig out the obsdian.
magma sounds like the best kind of idea

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 11:10:39 pm »

Depends on how far away it is - if you have a volcano, you should be fine as long as you take care where you dig. If you have to bring it up from the magma sea, though, you will kill your framerate.
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 11:27:45 pm »

Or dig out a tunnel beneath it to the map edge, place a line of floodgates in it.

Carve fortifications in said map edge.

Build a wall over the river, above the tunnel. Drop It in.

It'll break the riverbed, rerouting the river out the map edge. Once its sufficiently drained, place floodgates aboveground.

Close belowground gates.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

kenzosan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 11:27:58 pm »

Depends on how far away it is - if you have a volcano, you should be fine as long as you take care where you dig. If you have to bring it up from the magma sea, though, you will kill your framerate.
yeah, i was wondering about that. I haven't struck magma yet, though i've found a cavern. How deep would you usually go to get to magma?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 11:28:34 pm »

yeah, i was wondering about that. I haven't struck magma yet, though i've found a cavern. How deep would you usually go to get to magma?

Underneath the third cavern.
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

kenzosan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 11:30:06 pm »

Or dig out a tunnel beneath it to the map edge, place a line of floodgates in it.

Carve fortifications in said map edge.

Build a wall over the river, above the tunnel. Drop It in.

It'll break the riverbed, rerouting the river out the map edge. Once its sufficiently drained, place floodgates aboveground.

Close belowground gates.
interesting, and quite ingenious. Since i don't have ready access to lava i'll try this first. Thanks!

kenzosan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 11:31:35 pm »

Ho damn, there's that much more?
This is the first time i've really dug that far. Nubbly me.
do caverns always have forgotten beasts? i'm sorta afraid to venture in just yet.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 11:32:38 pm »

do caverns always have forgotten beasts? i'm sorta afraid to venture in just yet.

Since civs never hunt FBs, yes. Beware, some may be cuddly, like a fluffy wambler made of sugar. Or a Lion humanoid beast made of pure-steel that shoots brain-rotting blood.

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 11:34:15 pm »

Well, they generally don't have forgotten beasts immediately.  But they will eventually.
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 11:35:23 pm »

Since civs never hunt FBs, yes. Beware, some may be cuddly, like a fluffy wambler made of sugar. Or a Lion humanoid beast made of pure-steel that shoots brain-rotting blood.

Oh, and when the miners are praised for discovering the holy metal, be sure to dig up as much as you can before it's too late... ;)
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 11:47:35 pm »

magma sounds like the best kind of idea

...And this is what I like to call the !!Red Sea!! effect.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 03:56:11 am »

The under-the-riverbed idea is my most favourite now, but I have more experience with damming the rivers using pumps. If the river is narrow, 4-5 tiles, then one pump over the water is enough, close to the middle of the river. I build a pumpstack powered by windmills in the form of a water tower. The water taken can be used to fill firefighting systems (aqueducts with mechanised hatches over sensitive areas), water cannons or just be destroyed. You don't even need a big repeating smasher for it, a medium to small one is enough. Like 5x5 for 4-5 wide river, you probably want more or bigger ones for wider rivers, double or triple repeating smashers are better than big one if you use levers.
The idea is that the pumps empty the river and fill the tower. The tower acts as a buffer in case lever pulling dwarf goes to loo, then before next one arrives the tower takes the water. Repeater destroys water faster than the pumps can fill the tower.

There is one thing which is good to remember if you want your water clean: a bug with river changing to stagnant still exists. It is preventable if you use pump, but in other methods it is likely that all you river downstream, and several tiles upstream will turn into stagnant, if you try to channel water out. Of course the water taken can be purified with a pump, but the river and all water sources over it remain stagnant.
Pages: [1] 2 3