Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Figuretool: The Mystery of the MASSIVE meat stockpiles  (Read 1666 times)

DoctorMonch

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Vivisectionist
    • View Profile
    • History Of Bowmined
Figuretool: The Mystery of the MASSIVE meat stockpiles
« on: April 30, 2012, 04:03:09 pm »

I'm going to keep this simple.

I embarked in a good aligned Mangrove Swamp, bordering an ocean.
I was at 100 meat 80 drink, doing fairly well and getting all of the usual workshops and preparations ready.

I looked away for a bit, letting my miners mine some rooms and my hunter hunt some water buffalo.

When I checked back with my game, I found that the only combat that had taken place was between my hunter and one of the buffalo.

... yet I had over 2000 meat in my food storage.

I was obviously confused. I looked through the supplies, and somehow I had come upon a TON of butchered orca parts.

I looked through active jobs and found someone who was butchering, and someone hauling a corpse.

Turns out there were 3 more orcas on the way to the butcher's shop to be made into food.

___

I did a quick search, and didn't find a topic on this, so... yeah.

Do orcas just swim ashore and offer themselves to Dwarven fortresses as gifts, now?
You lock MonkeyHead's right upper arm with your left hand!
Don't make me Shift-A>Enter>a>Enter>Enter.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
Re: Figuretool: The Mystery of the MASSIVE meat stockpiles
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 04:13:08 pm »

Large sea animals actually have the tag[BEACH_FREQUENCY:#] in their raws, so yes, whales can beach themselves and give you a huge pile of whalemeat to eat, just beware the bad press when you do so.

DoctorMonch

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Vivisectionist
    • View Profile
    • History Of Bowmined
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 04:20:30 pm »

Large sea animals actually have the tag[BEACH_FREQUENCY:#] in their raws, so yes, whales can beach themselves and give you a huge pile of whalemeat to eat, just beware the bad press when you do so.

Ah, that's fairly interesting...

Possibly a sign that it needs to be toned down, however, seeing as I've totaled about 5 orcas having beached themselves before summer.
You lock MonkeyHead's right upper arm with your left hand!
Don't make me Shift-A>Enter>a>Enter>Enter.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 04:30:12 pm »

Reminds me of the Orca I bought from elves one time (masterwork mod).  Set it free (FREE WILLY!).  Three seconds later, it beached itself right there in the grotto I had released it from and it air-drowned.  I was shocked.  And hurt.  And confused.  Fortunately, my dwarves were hungry.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 04:37:34 pm »

Completely random. Armok chooses to give no Whales to most, drown others in Orca fat and of the very few - send husk whales.

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 05:12:23 pm »

Do not mention the husk whales. Tempting fate is what you're doing.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 05:23:44 pm »

Whales still beach themselves even when tame?

This bodes poorly for my plans for a war whale army.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 05:26:37 pm »

Whales still beach themselves even when tame?

This bodes poorly for my plans for a war whale army.

Urist McPancake:  OK, which one of you bastards trained the sperm whale to beach itself and then "roll over"?
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart