Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: So, Fortress-Mode Adv Mode metagaming: setting up relief stations?  (Read 4761 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: So, Fortress-Mode Adv Mode metagaming: setting up relief stations?
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2012, 11:34:56 am »

Ramps still exist people ;)

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2012, 12:59:47 pm »

Use DFhack to mark the fort as a 'lair' before abandoning. No scatter
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2012, 04:05:28 pm »

Your thirst can be forever quenched by just drinking the blood of everything you kill.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2012, 04:08:26 pm »

Huh, guess I need to play some more 'normal' adventure mode, instead of my modded super-powered fire breathing dragon-men.  :P

lame and boring

challenge, much? Oh hey I always win. I wonder if it is my skill at playing this game, luck or the fact that I modded my guy to be invincible? Nevermind I'm great!
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2012, 04:16:25 pm »

It's terribly entertaining to be a god in a sandbox environment, hence the popularity of the elder scrolls games (storming Ebonheart with your undead army using the conjure creature + soultrap bug is my favorite). There is no one right way to play a game.

Anyways, do powered pumps keep working if you abandon and visit in adventure mode?  Do exposed aquifer tiles dry up?  You could build a refilling cistern, with optional water purifier for ocean tiles.  Just give it access to an aquifer tile or refilling natural body of water, and it seems as though it should stay usable.  That and a few lead bins of booze, food, and masterwork and legendary weapons and armor would make for a very nice hideyhole.

Would setting it as a lair make it hazardous to sleep there?  Do beds stay built?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2012, 04:18:00 pm »

It's terribly entertaining to be a god in a sandbox environment, hence the popularity of the elder scrolls games (storming Ebonheart with your undead army using the conjure creature + soultrap bug is my favorite). There is no one right way to play a game.

Anyways, do powered pumps keep working if you abandon and visit in adventure mode?  Do exposed aquifer tiles dry up?  You could build a refilling cistern, with optional water purifier for ocean tiles.  Just give it access to an aquifer tile or refilling natural body of water, and it seems as though it should stay usable.  That and a few lead bins of booze, food, and masterwork and legendary weapons and armor would make for a very nice hideyhole.

Would setting it as a lair make it hazardous to sleep there?  Do beds stay built?

Everything stops, lairs are 100% safe to sleep in,  things will refill.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2012, 04:25:21 pm »

So, if you make a cistern with a diagonal depressurizer linking it to a shaft that goes up into a clean aquifer,  will the water in the cistern be stagnant in adventure mode?

And if pumps don't work, how were people crossing edge tiles with their transembark magma pipelines?  Or was that always just an unworkable idea?

Kel

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXPLODABLE][MAGMA_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2012, 04:58:01 pm »

@Garath: It's not as easy as it sounds, actually - mainly because the modded-in race is also a race that actually exists in the world (it's not adventurer-only), so fights are still tough. And as sadrice points out, high-power playing can be great fun! >:D

I believe that the transembark magma pipelines were only ever a theory, so if pumps don't work (learn something new every day!) then I don't believe there is a way to make the pipeline work. Unless it's downhill all the way. (Which could be possible for some distance, by basically building a massive hill for it to go down. Ridiculous amount of effort though! :P)
You don't need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

"I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence."

Tribes: Ascend is pretty good. Check it out here:
http://tinyurl.com/KelTribes

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2012, 10:42:03 pm »

To store animals: put them in cages (they may have to be hostile, I'm not sure), and build a lever linked to it. You can pull levers in adventure mode.

Pumps: yes, they work. The power source, if based on water, will need to be restarted, so built some lever allowing you to do just that.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Superior_Tomato

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm waiting. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2012, 01:06:40 am »

I hope you realise that you can put snow in your water skin, heat it over a fire and get water?
'Course with Dwarf Fortress, the only relevant question is, "How far away will the ASCII gibs splash on landing?"
5 squares per limb, if you raise the north orthoclase bridge before sacrificing one of them so they have a straight shot to the bottom of the chasm.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2012, 11:04:42 am »

Really? Cool.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2012, 11:44:21 am »

Pfff, in adventure mode I sake my thirst with the blood I inevitably accumulate on my body.

And eating ? Well, butcher some creature, you'll be fine for weeks.

Vanaheimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2012, 03:38:12 pm »

Pfff, in adventure mode I sake my thirst with the blood I inevitably accumulate on my body.

And eating ? Well, butcher some creature, you'll be fine for weeks.

One small group of giraffes fed my dwarf adventurer for weeks.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2012, 06:50:21 pm »

Fun tip: severed body parts leave a blood trail when thrown.  Every time they are thrown.  Infinitely.

Tear a toe off a badger or something, and store it in your pack before throwing and retrieving it to farm it for infinite delicious, delicious blood.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2012, 01:23:36 am »

OP stated: frozen wasteland.

does blood freeze?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 [2]