Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Finding Sand  (Read 6072 times)

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Finding Sand
« on: April 05, 2012, 01:16:48 pm »

Is there any way to get an embark with sand without starting in a treeless desert or a beach? I want to try out a glass industry, but aquifers annoy me and I like having a plentiful supply of charcoal.  Are certain soil types biomedical-specific?

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Finding Sand
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 01:25:16 pm »

dfhack prospect from the embark screen. Sand exists all over the map. Not sure what "biomedical-specific" means.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 01:27:02 pm »

Is there any way to get an embark with sand without starting in a treeless desert or a beach? I want to try out a glass industry, but aquifers annoy me and I like having a plentiful supply of charcoal.  Are certain soil types biomedical-specific?

I find sand in all sorts of biomes. If you want to guarantee sand you could try  consider picking an embark sport that sits on the intersection of two regions, one of which is a sand desert.

You may end up having to bite the bullet and embarking in a region with an aquifer, though.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 01:44:44 pm »

I think it's luck of the draw. Try regions nearer to rivers or brooks - that might (might) increase your chances - I've had plenty of forts with lots of sand that were far from any water source. Rocky areas are obviously a no-go. You'll need to look for places with deeper soil.

You may end up having to bite the bullet and embarking in a region with an aquifer, though.

I'm pretty sure that doesn't raise the chances any.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 02:16:01 pm »

dfhack prospect from the embark screen. Sand exists all over the map. Not sure what "biomedical-specific" means.

It's autocorrectese for biome-specific! :-)

kenpoaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 02:19:18 pm »

I have best luck avoiding aquifers farther inland, on the borders of mountains and forests/grasslands.
Quoting the Wiki:
"There are five different colors of sand – yellow sand, white sand, black sand, red sand, and tan sand – but their only difference is their appearance on the ground, as there is no difference between them for purposes of glassmaking."
Only those sands will work for glassmaking. You may also be interested in finding an area with Fire Clay for making stoneware.

In general look for very deep soil for sand layers, and clay of any depth for clay. You could also mod out aquifers altogether in the raws. In your DF folder they are located in ->raw\objects\inorganic_stone_soil.txt
Simply delete any of the [AQUIFER] tags.
This forum is a bunch of nutters, and you couldn't point to anything to contradict it.

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 02:23:13 pm »

I think it's luck of the draw. Try regions nearer to rivers or brooks - that might (might) increase your chances - I've had plenty of forts with lots of sand that were far from any water source. Rocky areas are obviously a no-go. You'll need to look for places with deeper soil.

I'm pretty sure that doesn't raise the chances any.

He's referring to beaches. Those always have sand, but I'm pretty sure they always have aquifers as well.

I'm any case, thank you all for the help! I'll give things a try tonight.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 04:13:55 pm »

Try cutting some trees in the caverns, IIRC they'll choose an random soil type to replace them.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 04:20:26 pm »

Try cutting some trees in the caverns, IIRC they'll choose an random soil type to replace them.
I think it's always the bottommost soil layer from that biome's type. This can mean an effectively-random type, or at least an unviewable type, if you do it below a biome that doesn't have soil, though. It's usually no more useful than caving in a soil block down to the caverns; that process also always somehow morphs the dropped soil into the bottom soil layer's type.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 04:32:30 pm »

The easy solution is to situate your embark with just an edge over a desert or beach. Most of your map can have trees, but you're guaranteed sand as well.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 05:40:13 pm »

personally i just modded the game so that all the [SANDY_LOAM] etc. soil types count as sand for glassmaking purposes, by adding [SAND] to their entries.

Because glassmaking is fun, and genning 100 worlds is not fun.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.