Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: What would a trap look like?  (Read 7668 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: What would a trap look like?
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2012, 07:46:37 am »

Indiana Jones style. That is all.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2012, 08:08:44 am »

Stone traps outside.
Bah, skyhooks, obviously! :P

I've said it before: cage traps are the external framework for pocket dimensions and would likely appear as a small, floating orb made of whatever material the 'cage' is. When a creature or hostile touches it, they are sealed inside.
I give you: the cage trap.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRt0SG-hepU

As for the weapon traps, I imagine the weapons pop out from slots in the walls or, when outside, holes in the ground. Of course, they'd need to be attached to some kind of swingarms to reach the head of a standing creature.
Come to think of it, they could all work like that: metal bars with weapons attached spring up from the ground, spin around to swing the weapons, and retract.

As for how all of the traps fit in a 1x1x1 space and can still cage a dragon... It's best not to think about that too hard. The same way 999 crouching and 1 standing colossi take up the same amount of space as one standing kitten, I guess.

Anyhow, I think Order of the Stick pretty much captured the spirit of the Dwarven trap.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Malarauko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2012, 06:30:06 pm »

The weapon traps are probably hidden in the floor and walls like spears shooting from the floor kinda style.
I like to think the stone fall traps are literally a stone on top of a stick with a rope leading to a pressure plate and its so obviously a trap but invaders just blithely walk through anyway because its "traditional".
Dwarf Fortress - Losing is fun.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2012, 09:43:37 pm »

^  <- what a trap looks like

But seriously, I usually imagine weapon traps as having the weapons swing out of the walls/ceiling/floor.  Cage traps are just cages hanging in the air, waiting for something to hit the trip-line and drop the cage.  Stonefall traps are like that prank with the water bucket on the door, except with a giant boulder.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Cobaldunderpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2012, 11:02:25 pm »

I always thought the weapon traps were like some giant post that shoots out of the ground with all the weapons tapped/strapped/bolted on that just spins til everything stops moving. Activated by some pressure plate in the floor.

Cage traps I always imagined as some wooden cage suspended by rope from the ceiling that ends in a tripline. Something hits the line and the trap that happens to be perfectly sized for the occasion drops down.
"I'm sorry, so you want me to make your underpants out of cobalt or kobolds?"

"Eh, whatever"

Kaleb702 Games

• Bay Watcher
  • nearlyNonexistent
    • View Profile
    • My YYG Account
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2012, 12:51:36 am »

Cage trap:

The cage uses ROPES AND MAGIC to resize itself to fit whatever thing is below it. Or something. As for how it's held up while outside, small poles holding it up.
Spike / weapon:

Dun dun dunnnnn dun dun duuuuuun. (gear spins making the thing in the hole pop out and kill things. If it's not by a wall, the hole is on the floor.)
Rock trap:

This is obvious. Hatch holding a rock from falling. (those line things between the gears are pulleys.)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 01:03:16 am by Kaleb702 Games »
Quote from: Rose Lalonde, Seer of Light
One simple word can so easily begin a story in a very thick book.

Caprealis

• Bay Watcher
  • The Next Crusade~ Praise Armok!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2012, 11:38:17 pm »

I like where this is going,
More pictures or drawings?

And I agree with a lot of what people said..

So maybe there rifts of time/space and items launched from miles away?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 11:47:05 pm by Caprealis »
Hello, My name is irrelevant, And I represent no one.
And there is no place like 127.0.0.1
Pages: 1 2 [3]