Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More pointless deaths: I forgot to drink!  (Read 843 times)

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
  • My wife just died. Oh, damn nice door that one is.
    • View Profile
More pointless deaths: I forgot to drink!
« on: March 26, 2012, 01:19:30 pm »

This death is a lot more explainable than the previous one, but still...  My guy was just running around engraving walls and stuff when he died of thirst.  Checked, no doors locked, no path blocks, over 100 barrels of wine.  This guy seems to have been working so hard he just didn't want to drink.  Is there actually a reason this could happen or are my dwarves just really suicidal today?
My Steam Account

You just know you're screwed when a dwarf dies of old age.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: More pointless deaths: I forgot to drink!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 01:20:30 pm »

Either all the wine is owned, or you walled him off from the wine with a broken stair or ramp or burrow or something.  Or he went insane because he had no pants.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

AleAndSteel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 01:24:52 pm »

I have a similiar problem, though this affects half of my fortress. All seem so busy hauling away rocks to build a wall, that they won't take a break to drink. They really do work until they die, as demonstrated by my only broker who died of thirst. The half of my dwarfs will soon follow, hence why i don't really plan on continuing to play on that save. I could upload it if you want to, it also includes the farming bug, where dwarfs put up a strange behavior towards farm plots, not picking up the plants and just beeing confused in general.
http://kodblogblogkod.blogspot.co.uk/

"Urist? Urist, stop the wagon. Urist, stop now. URIST! STOP! STOP RIGHT NOW! YOUR DRIVING US INTO THE VOLCANO! URIST!!!!!!!!"

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 01:27:25 pm »

They really do work until they die,

Yes, wondering if there is a cause.  Everyone assumes I'm dumb enough to block or trap, ect.  Honestly, he had a path, and none of it could be owned as the wine barrels outnumbered my dwarves 2:1.  Also more were being made every few seconds, so I don't get it.
My Steam Account

NedeN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 01:38:09 pm »

Its not so much everyone thinks your dumb enough to do anything, yea its strange for any dwarf to die of thirst when you have ample supply of booze flowing out of the very fountains of your fort, but more than likely there is a really good explanation for half of the things that go on in df. Ive never seen a dwarf of mine work himself fully dehydrated, maybe a bad though about being thirsty but thats about it. Now you asked the question so prepare for an answer. Only thing I could think of is being blocked somehow from the booze or melancholy or maybe all your booze was carried in flasks/waterskins by the military? If all else fails we call it a feature.
I watched a zombie dwarf tear off a girls dress and hit her with it so hard it became lodged in her skull.

Ghoulz - 15 minutes could save you 15% or more on carp insurance.

Couchmonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 01:38:38 pm »

I like it :D
The pyramids got build with the blood of the slaves to hold the stones together!

This here sounds like fanatics doing that with free will :D

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 01:47:12 pm »

Fine by me if they drop dead, got too many of the useless peasants.  My legendaries better have the brains to take a drink once in a while or I will kill somebody.

Wait a minute...
My Steam Account

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 01:54:03 pm »

Do you have a military? There's sometimes weirdness where a military dwarf (I think?) will start claiming ALL THE FOOD or ALL THE WINE, and everyone else is left to starve or dehydrate.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.