Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ideal Dwarf Fortress computer  (Read 1185 times)

TheCruzmeister

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Ideal Dwarf Fortress computer
« on: March 25, 2012, 12:52:37 am »

what would be the best computer setup to run DF? Single-Core or Dual-Core? I'm done with FPS death, so im going to make a new computer just for DF.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Ideal Dwarf Fortress computer
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 12:58:14 am »

Lurk more, there's threads like this all over the place.

In general though, one quick CPU will work better than multi-core, and the speed of your RAM will play a significant roll as well.  The quicker DF can access your RAM, the faster everything goes.  So as well as a good CPU, keep your memory in mind as well.

Multi-core may help for delegating though.  Dump DF on its own core and run Windows on the other?  I don't know how to do this, but I know it's possible.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 01:51:39 am »

I have a nice multicore i7. What I do is shut down all but 3 cores and overclock those cores tremendously. With only half the cores to generate heat, I can push the core speed to almost 3 ghz each. That plus some really quick OC'd ram makes for a nice experience. I only ever need to use that whole setup once my macbook's FPS drops too low, which is only when I try to do huge megabuilds that will eat FPS.

tl;dr Expensiveness doesn't really matter. Jury-rig a nice cooling system and get down and dirty into overclocking for the best experience. The expensive processors and RAM have exactly what you don't need for a DF computer.

heh. I just realized my tl;dr was about 2/3 the size of the actual post.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Echo51

• Bay Watcher
  • The amazing random pony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 03:15:04 am »

I assume DF excercises the 2D part of a GPU, which would mean that my old Geforce 8400GS is just as fast as my Radeon HD5670 according to a 2D benchmark. So i'd say GPU, get a lower-end one, only need a better one if you wanna play something else.

As for CPU, i'm assuming due to DF singlethreading, dualcore, so you have a loose thread for anything but DF would be optimal, and then go for the highest clock(ghz) possible. I don't know how well the i3's overclock, but i know some Core 2 Duo's go well into the 4ghz's.
Fire is awesome in this game. I should start another one.
No one with appropriate skills, so a bunch of jewelers are being promoted to Doctors. Hey, don't look at me like that. They know plenty about chiseling things off.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 03:19:32 am »

do they even make single core cpus for pc's anymore? :o
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 03:37:07 am »

Damnit, I thought this would be a thread about the pros and cons of the various logic disciplines.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

banned4trolling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 05:01:30 am »

Damnit, I thought this would be a thread about the pros and cons of the various logic disciplines.

Turing-complete is the way to go.

As for the CPU I'm pretty sure that modern multi-core CPUs are still more powerful per-core than the best stock single-core CPUs. Especially since you can shut down the useless cores and overclock just the 2, like acetech said.

That and high-end RAM. DF goes over a lot of data.