Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: The true nature of Dwarf Fortress' universe (‼Science‼ included!)  (Read 16626 times)

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
  • B12's Department Head of Arts & Recreation
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
Re: The true nature of Dwarf Fortress' universe (‼Science‼ included!)
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2012, 05:16:47 pm »

I don't know why but this thread makes me laugh :D, hope it never dies ;)

And can you explain why a 10x10bridge occupies 10 tiles when raised and not the logical 100? Is it foldable? 4D with some 3d characteristics? :P

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2012, 07:36:24 pm »

What would the semi-molten rock be?

SMR is interesting, as it a 3D substance that exhibits properties of both waves and particles. When the SMR is particle-like, it can be interacted with by 3D objects or manifestations (such as dwarves and picks). When it's wave-like, it imparts extreme levels of energy to any object that touches it, instantly converting that object to plasma and dispersing it.

It's common knowledge that it is possible to dig into SMR as long as has not yet been discovered. This follows the Copenhagen interpretation, which holds that the state of SMR cannot be objectively determined until it is observed, causing it to assume one of these possible states (for some reason, this is always the wave-like state). Until observed, SMR can be thought of as simultaneously a wave and a particle.

Dwarves are able to dig undiscovered SMR because they're only interested in the particle-like properties. Somehow, this seems to work for them.

I don't know why but this thread makes me laugh :D, hope it never dies ;)

Yay :D

And can you explain why a 10x10bridge occupies 10 tiles when raised and not the logical 100? Is it foldable? 4D with some 3d characteristics? :P

Actually, this one's already been solved:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned drawbridges, which in 3d take up one z-level height and only one tile of thickness when raised no matter how many tiles they stretched across when lowered. Clearly the longer the drawbridge the more it raises into 4d, whereas only a drawbridge that is one tile long when lowered raises only into 3d.
[Signature]

[NO_THOUGHT]

• Bay Watcher
  • *cricket*
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2012, 01:52:22 pm »

This also explains DF frame rates as more migrants arrive at the fortress. Because their 4D mass is so great in comparison to the 3D world they are inhabiting, the gravitational stress is causing time to slow - in order with Einstein's theory of relativity. Because we are not actually in the world, we view the world as slowing down, but in fact it's just that the world's timeline is experiencing gravitational time dilation, and we are not.

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2012, 02:27:34 pm »

Oops, sry. :P

Ok when I dropped my nobles house in a volcano the statues were left hanging midair and since you cant walk through them they should be regular 3D objects?
Also a dwarf can walk on a designated but unbuilt floortile how?
 :D

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2012, 03:42:57 pm »

Ok when I dropped my nobles house in a volcano the statues were left hanging midair and since you cant walk through them they should be regular 3D objects?

Nope, that'd be a 4D object, as a 4D being would be able to step around a 3D obstruction (via the 4th dimension).

Didn't know they could.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2012, 03:46:58 pm »

Didn't know they could.

Since when?

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2012, 04:28:37 pm »

Didn't know they could.

Since when?

I'm wrong? What!?

XXxxxxxX
XxxxxxxX
xxxxxxxX
xxxxxxxX

If X is built floor tile and x is a designated floor tile I belive I've seen dwarves build like this but I guess they had an alternate route or something then :/

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2012, 05:04:20 pm »

I think they just build them starting from the outer edge and moving inward. Additional inner unconstructed tiles become accessible due to the completion of the outer ones.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2012, 06:12:56 pm »

Oops, sry. :P

That's just a glitch.

Obviously :P
[Signature]

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2012, 06:34:03 pm »

Explain beards. ;D
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2012, 08:31:10 pm »

Explain beards. ;D

4-dimensional, yet able to assume a wide range of forms by moving in and out of 3D space, hence their ability to smooth and engrave stone, slaughter animals, and filter booze.
[Signature]

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2012, 04:56:39 am »

Combat is kind of ritualized for these 4d beings. They aren't allowed to teleport around, but they are allowed to fudge the rules a little bit (like with teeth). However, dwarves are 2d, while their body parts are 4d. You can't stab a heart without breaking the skin. This also explains why it's sometimes so easy to stab a certain body part in adventure mode. In your 4d sparring, you accidentally let your head drop into the 3d plane occupied by the spear, making it more vulnerable. When enemies pass out they flop down into fully 3d space, explaining why its trivial to stab someone in a specific tooth while standing in a different tile.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2012, 08:26:34 am »

World gen combat.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2012, 12:46:34 am »

World gen combat.

People discovered that the rules for combat in 3D space broke down when thousands of 4D beings faced off (hundreds of creatures in one tile, that sort of thing), so they decided to just cut out the middleman and have a ritualistic board game with everyone represented as an in game piece.  Captured pieces are executed in reality.  Important officials are given overpowered game pieces because, hey, we wouldn't want those guys dying now would we?  The rules are still so complicated that there can be arguments as to whether a given creature should have died and if no decision can be reached they compromise by removing a single limb at random from said creature.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]