Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Breeding dragons in worldgen  (Read 3656 times)

Rollory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Breeding dragons in worldgen
« on: March 03, 2012, 05:00:49 pm »

So I have been playing around a bit with the worldgen, trying to get a world that might enter the Age of Dragons.  What seems to work well is medium or large, very long history, very small civ #, small or medium # of sites, very high beast count and savagery.  The combination of high civ count and high site count is what really seems to drag down worldgen speed, with a moderate amount I can get to 1050 without too much trouble.  (Often what I'll do is gen a world of medium length - 250 - and if I like its looks I'll copy the worldgen parameters to my init\worldgen.txt and bump up the year limits.)  This seems to reliably produce areas of the world that are pretty populated and others that are completely deserted, which serve well as refuges for the megabeasts.

Anyway my best one so far has 18 currently living dragons, most of them on an uninhabited Australia-sized swamp continent off in one corner.  Poking through the historical figure details is interesting.  Sometimes, they'll form stable mated pairs and pop out a kid every century or so.  Other things also happen.  One of the original ("first of his kind") dragons didn't have a mate available so he's been going around making babies with the cute young daughters of each of the other original mated pairs (some of the daughters later settle down with second- or third-generation sons).  One mated pair had the male die; the female promptly made a kid with her own grandson (the son of the just-mentioned roguish charmer).  This "granny, I REALLY love you!" thing has actually happened several times.  First-degree relatedness does seem to be forbidden - parents and kids never get involved, nor do siblings.  This is probably reasonable - the populations are so small, if it was more restrictive they'd never find suitable partners at all.

I was originally trying small worlds; can reliably get 2 dragons in them, but nearly always 2 male or 2 female.  I think I've got two small worlds where there was a male/female pair that successfully started breeding - except that the longer worldgen runs, the more likely some wandering crossbowman is going to put a shaft through mommy or daddy's eye, and then the increase ends due to the first-degree-relatedness being forbidden.

Haven't decided yet if I want to try killing all the non-dragons via adventurer, or via luring them to a fortress. 
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 05:04:34 pm by Rollory »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Breeding dragons in worldgen
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 11:07:43 pm »

Australia-sized swamp continent

+

Dragons

=

What have you done

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 12:57:53 am »

I saw one dragon in legends who fathered ~20 children.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 01:03:02 am »

Random question....

Just how large *is* a <*dragon egg roast*> anyway?

Wouldn't it take boiling in magma to cook it? Dragons are rather fond of fire, iirc...

(Seems a pertinent question, given a world where dragons are so plentiful.)

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 01:07:17 am »

Anyway my best one so far has 18 currently living dragons, most of them on an uninhabited Australia-sized swamp continent off in one corner.  Poking through the historical figure details is interesting.  Sometimes, they'll form stable mated pairs and pop out a kid every century or so.  Other things also happen.  One of the original ("first of his kind") dragons didn't have a mate available so he's been going around making babies with the cute young daughters of each of the other original mated pairs (some of the daughters later settle down with second- or third-generation sons).  One mated pair had the male die; the female promptly made a kid with her own grandson (the son of the just-mentioned roguish charmer).  This "granny, I REALLY love you!" thing has actually happened several times.  First-degree relatedness does seem to be forbidden - parents and kids never get involved, nor do siblings.  This is probably reasonable - the populations are so small, if it was more restrictive they'd never find suitable partners at all.

Anyway my best one so far has 18 currently living dragons, most of them on an uninhabited Australia-sized swamp continent off in one corner..

uninhabited Australia-sized swamp continent off in one corner..

What have you done!?
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Rollory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 11:01:11 am »

What have you done!?

What?  What?  Whaaaaaat?

Isn't Australia better as a swamp anyway?

So I tried running that same world param set for, uh, a longer time.  4000 years to be precise.  Well it crashed out at 3720-something, so I re-ran it for 3000 years.  Interesting results.  The dragon population is not much bigger - just under 30, the wandering hunters seem to run into them often enough, even on the isolated continent (there's a tip that is within zone of influence of one civ) to keep them from overcrowding.  Minotaurs seem to be doing fine, I haven't checked the cyclops/ettin/giant populations in detail.  There's also three thousand years of accumulated literature in the Necromancer towers - looking at the broad sweep of intellectual currents in Legends mode is pretty fun. 

What was interesting was what happened to the dwarf civs.  There are 4 in this world.  One in the far north near goblins and humans, one in the west surrounded by swamps and goblins, two in the center - one near elves, one near humans but with access to various other places.  In my original run, the northern civ's starting dwarf king promptly became a vampire and (in cooperation with the neighbor human civ) conquered and exterminated the goblins, the swamp-surrounded dwarves got wiped out by their goblin neighbors, and the other two civs just did the usual dwarfy stuff. 

In the 3K-year-run, however, an entirely different history.  The northern civ had a succession of normal non-vampire monarchs, then a few hundred years in, a goblin became king, ruled for about a thousand years (goblins are immortal), then became a vampire, and his reign of terror across the entire north continues to this day.  The swamp dwarves, instead of getting wiped out - well, the monarch is a goblin queen, and the capital's population is ~700 dwarves and over 10000 goblins.  The elf-neighboring dwarves got beaten and eaten - their last monarch was a human queen.  And the last civ?  They had a succession of mostly ordinary monarchs, up to about 1100, when their queen became a vampire and ruled for two millennia.  Then, in 2984, she was assassinated, and a new, normal king has been crowned.  His first act as monarch: "In the early spring of 2986, Onget lifted numerous oppressive laws from The Dyes of Closing."

So out of 4 dwarf civs, one is extinct, two suffer the rule of tyrannical despots, and one has just overthrown such a despot.  A new king is crowned, justice has its champion once more.  A new age for Dwarvenkind dawns ...

Yeah, I think this is the right time and place to strike the earth.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 11:44:16 am by Rollory »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 11:10:29 am »

...astounding history there.  Also interesting with the dragon breeding.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 11:15:50 am »

I'm gonna breed dragons asap.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 11:26:43 am »

Just how large *is* a <*dragon egg roast*> anyway?

Not very large.  All eggs count as a single ingredient, no matter the size of the creature.  A stack of 1 dragon egg and a stack of 1 turkey egg both add the same amount of food to a prepared meal stack.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 11:37:57 am »

Call ThatAussieGuy and tell him his checkerboard is gonna be toppled. Yaaay! :P
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.