Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Got my first evil rain  (Read 694 times)

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Got my first evil rain
« on: March 07, 2012, 09:15:38 am »

I was surprised to see that my new embark had a little patch of evil biome in the corner - no problem, I thought. Then it started raining "fetid slime" in that corner - no problem, I thought, there's no reason to go over there.  Until a badger chased my expedition leader into the slime, which he then tracked back into the fort, infecting everyone.  Nausea, followed by body-wide bruising and blistering, then death.  Scratch one fort.

So how do people survive in entirely evil embarks that get this sort of thing? Is there some sort of medical care that can help?

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Got my first evil rain
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 09:20:32 am »

Got a rain of repellent goo. Soon as I got to my embark site. Everyone blistered and giving in to pain, then death.
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 09:23:55 am »

Someone needs to mod in raincoats.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Nagassh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 10:00:58 am »

The first evil rain I found was some red slime that caused a fever, but nothing else.

The second one caused intense pain and bruising throughout the body, including internal organs, eventually death.

The current one I have to deal with causes flesh, bone, fat and muscle to rot. Hasn't resulted in a death yet, but it's not nice.

Best thing you can do is dig into the side of the mountain / down into the ground asap and never leave.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 10:54:21 am »

Wall off your fort's entrance.  Make a labyrinth aboveground that includes that evil corner.  When gobbos show up, close off the main entrance and force them to walk through the evil rain. 

I've only had a couple of evil rains.  One I didn't even have time to see what it did before zombies annihilated everyone.  On a different, much better established fort, it caused dizziness and unconsciousness.  I took full advantage of it by doing the above.  By the time a siege got inside my fort, half of them were still passed out and the other half so dizzy they couldn't fight.

The downside is that it gets tracked into the fort and once my dorfs discarded their tattered clothing, they were constantly stepping in pools of filthy muck, getting it on their feet and passing out and getting carried to the hospital.

And on the upside, I got two Legendary Diagnosticians out of it.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0