Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Finding small-sized equipment  (Read 3278 times)

Tombozo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Finding small-sized equipment
« on: March 05, 2012, 07:50:12 pm »

I have recently taken an interest to playing in adventure mode, and have two goals for my adventurer:

1. I want to play as a dwarf
2. I want to be able to obtain small-sized armor, preferably with at least a chance of getting steel

I wouldn't think that this would be very hard, but fulfilling the second goal is proving to be quite elusive. I've seen several forum posts that suggest that if you can make dwarves live in cities, then they will have shops that sell dwarf-sized gear. This is false - I've changed the civilization raws to make dwarves use and prefer cities for their default sites. They make walled cities with fortresses and shops, and every single shop sells 100% large-sized, 100% non-steel gear. There is the odd piece of armor strewn about the fortress floors which is correctly small, but again there is no steel - even though I have confirmed that I can start a dwarf adventurer with a steel weapon or shield.

I've even tried building a fortress with the express purpose of filling it with armor and abandoning it, and have not been successful at finding any armor (whether in adventure mode or reclaiming the fortress to check what's there). Modding seems to be the best solution, but I'm not really sure what files affect shops ingame so I'm at a loss as to what else I can do. Does anyone know a good way to get small-sized gear readily available in adventure mode?

Hopefully this isn't an inappropriate spot to post this, I have a similar post in the modding forum and am not getting any replies so I thought a forum with more adventure-interested people might turn up some solutions.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
Re: Finding small-sized equipment
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 08:02:07 pm »

Noticed this earlier as I normally mod all races making cities in various biomes and building roads so they exist on the map (except currently have dwarves living in mountain caves, interestingly their civilization could flourish there according to legends - have yet to find them). Elven shop always sell human gear, even if they themselves have current gear. Furthermore the dungeons under elf towns are filled with humans and human gear.

Haven't been able to find a tag in the wiki at least that would affect it. I'm afraid I have the same problem as you.

However, to find small armor you can kill goblins or dwarves or visit an older fort. Things scatter on abandon, so you won't find them where you left them. This can be counteracted with the utility DFhack.
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 10:48:12 pm »

I have recently taken an interest to playing in adventure mode, and have two goals for my adventurer:

1. I want to play as a dwarf
2. I want to be able to obtain small-sized armor, preferably with at least a chance of getting steel

I wouldn't think that this would be very hard, but fulfilling the second goal is proving to be quite elusive. I've seen several forum posts that suggest that if you can make dwarves live in cities, then they will have shops that sell dwarf-sized gear. This is false - I've changed the civilization raws to make dwarves use and prefer cities for their default sites. They make walled cities with fortresses and shops, and every single shop sells 100% large-sized, 100% non-steel gear. There is the odd piece of armor strewn about the fortress floors which is correctly small, but again there is no steel - even though I have confirmed that I can start a dwarf adventurer with a steel weapon or shield.

I've even tried building a fortress with the express purpose of filling it with armor and abandoning it, and have not been successful at finding any armor (whether in adventure mode or reclaiming the fortress to check what's there). Modding seems to be the best solution, but I'm not really sure what files affect shops ingame so I'm at a loss as to what else I can do. Does anyone know a good way to get small-sized gear readily available in adventure mode?

Hopefully this isn't an inappropriate spot to post this, I have a similar post in the modding forum and am not getting any replies so I thought a forum with more adventure-interested people might turn up some solutions.

Thanks in advance for the help!

If you want to find dwarf-sized gear, ask locals about surrounding and try to locate a megabeast lair.  The equipment of the heroes that the beast has slain will be there.  If you are lucky, some dwarves will have died with armor and you will be able to pick them up. 

If the goblins in your world have access to iron, you can either wander around near a dark fortress and try to find goblins.  You can also try to locate bandit camps near goblin forts which will have goblins.  Kill them and take their gear.

Another option is to make a fort and produce armor that your adventurer can use then abandon the fort.

If you want to edit the raws, you can change creature_standard.txt so that dwarves are the same size as humans and therefore use the same size equipment.

Under the dwarf entry, change
Code: [Select]
[BODY_SIZE:12:0:60000]to
Code: [Select]
[BODY_SIZE:12:0:70000]
and dwarves can now use human-sized armor.  You will probably have to make a new world for this.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 10:50:58 pm by Berserkenstein »

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 01:03:11 am »

I've noticed that labyrinths and nests sometimes have steel armor. Beware the BC and rocs that inhibit these places though.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 01:04:50 am »

Also note that if you fast travel around in circles near Mountainhome locations, you'll trigger bandits that (IIRC) are more likely to include dwarves.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 10:49:27 am »

i found a full set of dwarf sized steel Armour in the upper levels of a fortress

Doro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 02:18:42 pm »

Some small steel equipment can be found in shrines and i suppose in some megabeast lairs aswell.
I found one small steel cap from one shrine of titan. Titan was of that useless sort (a glob of mud with TAIL) so it didnt have many kills, I think if he had killed more dwarves, he could have had more steel equipment lying around

EDIT: also kobolds and goblins wear small armors, though usually copper, if they have any at all.