Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: What FPS is too low for you?  (Read 9371 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: What FPS is too low for you?
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2012, 10:42:59 pm »

Normally around 60, unless I get an exceptional fort I just want to really really hang on to.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2012, 10:45:48 pm »

Also having significant up/down stair ways opens up the path finding by a major factor.  Making ramps a better choice if you suffer from FPS syndrome.

I only found this out after using huge up/down designations for digging projects and seeing my frame rate drop 40 points with everything turned off.  It destroyed one of my previous forts because I had such large up/down dug complexes just killed the FPS to a point where nothing could be done.  That was in the single digit to 0 digit range.  One project at a time, from now on....

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2012, 12:15:45 am »

XD You guys are kinda snobs when it comes to fps. My normal is 50 ::)
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

Olith McHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2012, 12:33:20 am »

Around 10 or so is my absolute minimum, but by this point I've usually given dwarfs and goblins [SPEED:200] or so, so it doesn't actually feel all that slow.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2012, 02:16:39 am »

I use lots of DFhack in maximizing framerate. I autodump and destroy giant amounts of stone and items. I also clean map from blood and other things perodically, just for fps. I also use lots of traffic designations and turn temperature and weather off when I have embark where they doesen't affect much.

So I have seven-year fort with 200 dwarves.
FPS is 99.

And for my absolute minimum, it's about 30, but it depends on fortress. When doing giant pump stacks, lower is acceptable, but as "stable fps" 30 is too low.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 02:18:12 am by Matoro »

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2012, 03:27:14 am »

My current fort is chugging along at like 5-6 fps. The only reason I haven't abandoned yet is because I want to see if the invading elves find my second magma trap before the surviving, gibbering dwarves manage to kill themselves.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2012, 03:32:21 am »

Lol, nice.

Just started a new fort, major river, 2 waterfalls into it, 12 & 14 z-levels, flying lungfish (don't ask), I unpause...67 FPS. Start digging, 14 fps. It buuuurns...
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2012, 03:58:04 am »

with significant drops when stupid muck rain which I can't turn off happens outside.
It doesn't fall under the weather option in the init files?
No it's unaffected by that. Toady probably didn't think this stuff may be simply annoying rather than FUN.

Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Rollory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2012, 04:43:23 am »

You guys are all freaking weird and give up too easy.

I have one long-term fort still going that is consistently at FPS 10.  My best fort that I played the longest (so far) was a 40d 16x16 embark ocean strait fort - two peninsulas at opposite ends of the map, and a huge long tunnel carved under the strait, with the fort carved out at the halfway point.  Lived off caravans.  The roadway tunnel had deep channels to either side that tended to slowly fill with water (aquifer drainage and other reasons) so there was a whole massive complex of pumps for pulling it all out and dumping it back in the sea.  When that was all really going full blast my FPS would be down in the 6-8 range from all the water calculations.

When the fort finally died (goblins successfully killed enough caravans to induce mass starvation.  Oddly, no tantrum spiral, they held it together morale-wise until the end) I tried going back to the fort as an adventurer.  Managed about 1 frame every few minutes.  So that was the point where I gave up.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2012, 10:28:04 am »

<100
Pages: 1 2 [3]