Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Dwarven gym - How do you train your military?  (Read 12227 times)

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven gym - How do you train your military?
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2012, 03:54:00 pm »

There's an attribute cap? So legendary + 5 to all military stats is out of the question... :p
The skill system and the stats system are separate. The stats equivalent of L+5 is 5000.

either 1) there's a cap above what a dwarf starts with. So a weakling can never get to 4k strength, say. And/or 2) stat gain is based on skill gain, and you ran out of skills to gain in.
It's the first. There's a MENT_ATT_CAP_PERC tag that controls how high a stat can go compared to its starting value, and if there's no tag it defaults to [MENT_ATT_CAP_PERC:<all>:200]. This allows for a maximum figure of either 200% of the starting value or the starting value plus the racial median, whichever is greater. There's a matching tag for the physical attributes. This is a very good reason to keep an eye on the agility of potential recruits, since the dwarven median is low. I see dwarves with ~1100 agility moderately often and dwarves with ~200 agility fairly rarely. Those in the latter group will never be significantly faster than those in the former group even if they train for a lifetime and the more agile dwarves don't train at all.

Ah, damned invisi-tags, this makes a lot more sense (and why attribute logging wouldn't detect it unless I checked them at the *perfect* moment).

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2012, 04:24:53 pm »

There's an attribute cap? So legendary + 5 to all military stats is out of the question... :p
The skill system and the stats system are separate. The stats equivalent of L+5 is 5000.

either 1) there's a cap above what a dwarf starts with. So a weakling can never get to 4k strength, say. And/or 2) stat gain is based on skill gain, and you ran out of skills to gain in.
It's the first. There's a MENT_ATT_CAP_PERC tag that controls how high a stat can go compared to its starting value, and if there's no tag it defaults to [MENT_ATT_CAP_PERC:<all>:200]. This allows for a maximum figure of either 200% of the starting value or the starting value plus the racial median, whichever is greater. There's a matching tag for the physical attributes. This is a very good reason to keep an eye on the agility of potential recruits, since the dwarven median is low. I see dwarves with ~1100 agility moderately often and dwarves with ~200 agility fairly rarely. Those in the latter group will never be significantly faster than those in the former group even if they train for a lifetime and the more agile dwarves don't train at all.
Ah I'm glad I wasn't wasting my time selecting dorfs with good starting stats in what I wanted them to be :)

Are all attributes (physical and mental) 200% or starting+median, or are there exceptions?

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2012, 11:00:31 pm »

Okay I tried out some controlled science. Sealed the starting seven in a chamber with food, booze and seven pumps. Anyway, pumping iron does indeed work. It's pretty slow. Looking specifically at the "laziness" attribute, a dwarf who started out at very quick to tire, became quick to tire at around about accomplished, and some time after becoming legendary, lost the "quick to tire" trait.

Since I'm not using Therapist at the moment (I eh, don't like it much anyway) I can't provide any harder numbers than that. But it definitely works. On the other hand, it's definitely slow as well. Sparring builds attribute MUCH faster. But I can see that if you're going to have your say marksdawrf squads work the airpumps between sieges, then after a few years they should have developed at least some buffness from it, for me personally I don't think it'd be worthwhile "losing" them as haulers/constructors, but each to their own.

edit: Here are the details of each dwarf's attributes before and after
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 11:15:46 pm by Nan »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]