Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Dwarven gym - How do you train your military?  (Read 12216 times)

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven gym - How do you train your military?
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2012, 06:45:42 am »

I just realized one of my top hammerdwarfs, with double-barrelled name and eight notable kills and everything is merely competent with the hammer. And attached to her masterful silver war hammer.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

roughedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2012, 06:51:13 am »

Training is done simply by making dwarves guard at the caves slaying tons of troglodytes and voracious crawlers. I also use the pump stack and while I used training danger rooms in the past they somehow for a reason always claim lives... which is good! That oughta teach you to put that helmet on kid. Also I now use a small kennell overcrowded with dogs, don't know if that gives anything but sure seem fun training amidst wounded war dogs.

Btw, how do we use dwarves with only 0 hands? They keep wanting to claim their stuff on the surface which they lost during a tragic limb cutting accident.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2012, 07:59:41 am »

We send the to doctor werecapybara now. Or send them to watch bedrooms.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

roughedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2012, 08:50:14 am »

so where do I find a Dr WereCapybara!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2012, 09:15:05 am »

Btw, how do we use dwarves with only 0 hands? They keep wanting to claim their stuff on the surface which they lost during a tragic limb cutting accident.
You put them in the weaponless, shieldless Cannon Fodder squad and send them out first to eat all the arrows.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2012, 09:19:38 am »

He'll pay you a visit someday. However doctor Werecapybara is very diffident so make sure you have some cage-traps at your entrance for he is likely to reconsider his intentions right when he gets to the door. After he steps on your nice green welcome mat you kindly but insistently persuade him to see your patient. Then you place his comfortable cage in a room with stationed patient and link it to the trigger. They eye each other for some time until during the next full moon doctor will finally come up with treatment at which point you pull the lever. You may wish however to delay releasing of the doctor a while to make sure he won't have much time to overdo treatment. After that you may let the doctor to leave wherever his dream leads him.
Congratulations, your fine warrior now can fight again, furthermore, he now has a strong immunity against amputations and some other unhealthy effects. However, now there are several days a month in his calendar, during which he becomes rather irritable and aggressive and is better to be left for himself.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2012, 10:16:02 am »

However, now there are several days a month in his calendar, during which he becomes rather irritable and aggressive and is better to be left for himself.

So he performs sex-change operations? :D
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2012, 10:36:41 am »

Im with King; Barracks, career-soldiers, cage-trap-prizoner training and/then live-exercise training (sieges). And the quailty and materials of equipment mean a LOT to your Millitia's success.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2012, 02:26:54 pm »

I find that agility is the most useful attribute for military dwarves, and since pumps don't train it and there's an attribute cap based on all attributes combined I purposely stay away from pump training. Food for thought if you're picky about things like that.
Where did you get that? There's maximum per each stat in raws but not the sum.

There's a maximum per stat and sum, I found out when tracking some very experienced dwarves using runesmith. They gained attributes through traditional training and killing goblins up to a certain point before they stopped. These are the attributes of 2 dwarves who are capped:

Stodir:

Strength- 3832/5000
Agility- 1565/5000
Toughness- 4376/5000
Endurance- 2174/5000

Vabôk:

Strength- 2385/5000
Agility- 1253/5000
Toughness- 1724/5000
Endurance- 2514/5000

5000 being the highest possible attribute level, they along with a lot of other dwarves maxed their attributes after decades of fighting and wouldn't gain any more even though they continued honing their skills for 10+ years. These 2 dwarves were polar opposites as far as genetics go, so Stodir was able to attain far higher attributes overall (it's worth noting that Vabôk has 15 years more experience than Stodir).
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 02:33:45 pm by BloodBeard »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2012, 02:35:48 pm »

Give them equipment.

Make them train in barracks.

Order them to kill invaders/annoying animals.

Any who don't die while fighting off their first siege are considered successfully trained soldiers.

This, mostly.  I haven't bothered with danger rooms, because I'm too lazy and it feels too easy.

This fort though, I am experimenting with using pumps to beef up my soldiers.  The results have been meager so far, but I'm not experienced with this method yet.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2012, 02:46:40 pm »

There's a maximum per stat and sum, I found out when tracking some very experienced dwarves using runesmith. They gained attributes through traditional training and killing goblins up to a certain point before they stopped. These are the attributes of 2 dwarves who are capped:
Your conclusion is not supported by the data. That data may indicate either 1) there's a cap above what a dwarf starts with. So a weakling can never get to 4k strength, say. And/or 2) stat gain is based on skill gain, and you ran out of skills to gain in. You didn't mention if you cross trained or only did military stuff, were they legendary in *everything* affecting those stats? Or just military?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2012, 02:52:48 pm »

You put them in the weaponless, shieldless Cannon Fodder squad and send them out first to eat all the arrows.

They still got their mouth? Tell them to grab a weapon, and I believe they will wield it with their mouth, since it has the grasp tag (if this hasn't been changed in the new version)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2012, 03:09:48 pm »

Naw, they just say they can't grab the item.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2012, 03:19:36 pm »

The mouth hasn't grasped for as long as I've played (.18) but dwarves will still bite and latch, which counts as a sort of wrestling so they can appear to be grasping.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2012, 03:34:47 pm »

There's an attribute cap? So legendary + 5 to all military stats is out of the question... :p
The skill system and the stats system are separate. The stats equivalent of L+5 is 5000.

either 1) there's a cap above what a dwarf starts with. So a weakling can never get to 4k strength, say. And/or 2) stat gain is based on skill gain, and you ran out of skills to gain in.
It's the first. There's a MENT_ATT_CAP_PERC tag that controls how high a stat can go compared to its starting value, and if there's no tag it defaults to [MENT_ATT_CAP_PERC:<all>:200]. This allows for a maximum figure of either 200% of the starting value or the starting value plus the racial median, whichever is greater. There's a matching tag for the physical attributes. This is a very good reason to keep an eye on the agility of potential recruits, since the dwarven median is low. I see dwarves with ~1100 agility moderately often and dwarves with ~200 agility fairly rarely. Those in the latter group will never be significantly faster than those in the former group even if they train for a lifetime and the more agile dwarves don't train at all.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4