Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Game seems to have gotten a whole lot more difficult...  (Read 10670 times)

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
Re: Game seems to have gotten a whole lot more difficult...
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2012, 10:56:06 pm »

Alright, so Toady is in fact bringing ambush levels back to about what they were, and also fixing the glitch where some worlds caused crashes when you talk to people.
praise armok.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2012, 01:35:46 am »

it's worth mentioning that you can actually depopulate regions of bandits, which ensures random encounters are of the animal kind and thus mostly harmless. I noticed recently that it was always the same bandit group attacking me every game, and the gobbos who killed my previous dwarves no longer ambushed me. Looking into the legends export file I realised this was because all of the goblins had been killed.

Unfortunately, tough bandit camps can be nigh impossible to crack. Try making a high dodge crossbowman/bowman and recruiting bowmen from a nearby keep, and then playing ambush shenanigans until you've weeded the group down a bit. You'll probably lose a lot of heroes this way, but the camp won't repopulate so you can eventually win by attrition.

*edit*

another good tactic to defeat very tough enemies is to dance around them, throwing items at them whenever they aren't one tile away. For some reason the pain from even a small bruise from a rock seems to make enemies a thousand times easier to hit.

*double edit*

I still need to test this one further, but it appears that places you cannot fast travel to do not spawn bogeymen: beaches and mountains, specifically. I will test rivers too when I get the chance.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 02:05:28 am by Blakmane »

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2012, 02:12:57 am »

still need to test this one further, but it appears that places you cannot fast travel to do not spawn bogeymen: beaches and mountains, specifically. I will test rivers too when I get the chance.

I figured that out months ago (they won't spawn there, but they will follow you there). And I thought rivers were only uncrossable in quick-travel when you're doing the zoomed in quick travel for towns and hamlets.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2012, 03:54:27 am »

still need to test this one further, but it appears that places you cannot fast travel to do not spawn bogeymen: beaches and mountains, specifically. I will test rivers too when I get the chance.

I figured that out months ago (they won't spawn there, but they will follow you there). And I thought rivers were only uncrossable in quick-travel when you're doing the zoomed in quick travel for towns and hamlets.

That's nice.

They're uncrossable even when zoomed out, but it depends on the depth of the river. Haven't tested bogeyman spawn there yet: will do so next adventurer. The high chance of alligators make it a somewhat risky proposition, however.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2012, 04:08:48 am »

All the bitching and moaning about Adv. Mode is making me want to put away this succession fort I'm playing and try adv. Mode once or twice. :)

Going Peasant... I'm going to start slow.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2012, 04:28:18 am »

I can somewhat confirm that bogeymen also do not spawn on riverbanks, but it is difficult to test with any certainty. The bugged encounter rate means that you rarely get through an hour or so of sleep before you are attacked and killed by 30 bandits.

The three adventurers I tried this with all died from bandits, however, and were not attacked by bogeymen at any point. Interestingly enough, sleeping next to water is a great way of fending off encounters, because you can simply dip into the water and swim upstream a bit, or even tempt them in after you. They'll still get you eventually though.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]