Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How much harder is the newest version of DF?  (Read 2238 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: How much harder is the newest version of DF?
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2012, 08:09:06 am »

Much, much more.

It really isn't that much harder... Unless you embark on a terrifying biome. DOEEEEETTT

Feb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2012, 03:51:50 pm »

Insanely, I can't get a fort started. Two embarks lost, second one was military embark. Undead capybara+undead storks, keep fighting, even after being dismembered.  The reclaim effort is not helped by the presence of the last embark. They seem to want brains.

Just do what I posted, wagon shack on the spot, then work from there, even mosquitoes are no match when they have to fight you underground with traps and everything waiting for them (military dorfs aside from mace/hammerer are useless)

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2012, 04:21:13 pm »

It depends where you embark, I showed up in an evil, waterless, frozen tundra and lost 6 dwarves before the first caravan. Thank god immigrants no longer get scared away after a couple of deaths.

I'd guess that everywhere outside the zombie areas would be about the same, maybe with the occasional extra fun of vampires covertly bumping off your dwarves.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2012, 04:24:39 pm »

Clowns can actually be held back by a large enough zombie mob. I had to break quarantine to do this...
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Tjolme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2012, 04:40:08 pm »

It can be pretty difficult even when not in an evil area.

I picked a fairly calm good/neutral spot to test out how things have changed. Not expecting any trouble I only had a bronze battle axe, and was slowly putting up a wall. Then in the first autumn a
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
turned up. It instantly killed the war dogs I had, and worked it's way through my legendary miners and the woodcutter with my precious only axe.

I probably should have stuck it out and seen if there was any affect from the secondary problems that this would call, but I had no clue if the caravan guards would have been able to kill it either. I feel back to my early days when I would cause floods, cave ins or starve before the first caravan arrived, and now have something to fear other than giant beserk badgers.
Pages: 1 [2]