Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How much harder is the newest version of DF?  (Read 2237 times)

cysten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How much harder is the newest version of DF?
« on: February 16, 2012, 12:41:56 am »

Hi I stopped playing df because I got bored. Once I got a squad of well trained axedwarves all using steel it seemed like I could counter any threat, megabeasts, goblin hordes, dragons, etc.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Before I go through all the trouble of starting a new fort, can anyone tell me how much more difficult it is? It would be nice to have a reason to build massive fortifications, sophisticated traps, ballistas, etc.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: How much harder is the newest version of DF?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 12:44:44 am »

Much, much more.

So much more that many of the veterans are already discovering the secrets by climbing the (corpse-made) stairs of knowledge trying to find out.

Also, deaths would not be reported if they died to...*Strange* circumstances, the full moon is a fear to many and...death is now all the more apparent.

Your Sheriff has a use now by the way.

Steel is now more in demand to fend off evils.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 12:48:08 am »

It is much more difficult in evil regions because you'll get swarmed by exponentially increasing zombies as soon as anything dies. Of course this makes it extremely difficult to get to the point where you can build the necessary defences to combat this.

The other areas have new challenges as well, which may be more suitable for building a lasting fortress.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 12:50:29 am »

Read this thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=100765.0 and this one: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=101011.0

And enjoy the new version of DF. I'm sure you'll like it now.

EDIT: Thread #2 got removed. Basically, it was somebody unhappy about how hard evil areas are now.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 01:01:23 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 01:13:42 am »

Haven't had a zombie attack yet on my new fortress (I think the area I settled was merely "haunted" or something--the animals so far have been mostly harmless), but I've been getting marauding fiendish dust clouds every couple of minutes that instantly kills any creature they come in contact with.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 01:21:15 am »

Hooo boy will you have fun when things reanimate.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 01:22:49 am »

Thread 2 got removed because it turned into a flame war; the gist o it was that the OP was unhappy with the really really quick undead reanimation times.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 01:32:12 am »

Basically, vampires are cool because the threat comes from within your fortress and can't be solved by brute force, werebeasts are cool because the threat doesn't stop after the werebeast dies, and necromancers are cool because they encourage proper housekeeping instead of just leaving corpses where they fall.

The new evil-region effects are cool, but it may be best to turn off randomly-generated reanimation and poison-rain effects and, optionally, mod in your own, more reasonable variants, at least until they get tweaked a bit.

Basically, fortress threats are more varied, and that's cool.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Feb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 02:00:14 am »

Thread 2's OP is just mad he made a mistake, I'm enjoying the extra challenge (and I'm a relative newb!). I'm working on multi-layer defenses now to prevent zombiecalysm from one death.  Atom Smasher, hammerers/macedorfs, early magma droptraps (forget the pumps, just channel straight down to magma when you found a good spot) and cage traps are ESSENTIALS in evil biomes now, so no one can say they are cheap cause no military, alone, can take on the zombie horde.  After dying twice to early rushes (zombie polar bear and zombie ice wolves in one, zomb alligators and badgers in the second :s) I've now devised my own way to start my fort.

1)  Immediately wall around the wagon +3 row (1 to channel down and 2 rows to build the future bridge to give access to the outside world), make EVERYONE a mason, make sure to bring enough stones.  Oh, and don't bring any animals!  (my dorfs are like Buddhist monks of the old, will eat meat, but only if it wasn't killed by/for them)
2)  Add a roof as soon as possible, even before stockpiles, the XRainsX can be very scary.

BoffoDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 02:11:48 am »

Regarding the OP's message regarding ease of play in .25, there are mods that add complexity and/or difficulty. Fortress Defense and Genesis come foremost to my mind if you have not explored either.

May your idle dwarfs never be sober.

Qwicol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 02:51:54 am »

Dear Sir, One does not simply wipe clown parade with squad of legendary axdwofs clad in steel. Or 4 squads...

One should say 'clad in steel' or clad with steel'?

twichyboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 03:03:46 am »

I embarked on one of the terrifying biomes and started building an above ground fortress, I had one of the huge swarms of mosquitos everyone was talking about

A deadly mist killed all of them and one or two of my dwarves

Then all the Mosquitos reanimated and flew over my walls and tore up my poor dwarves

I would say much much harder :C

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 03:04:43 am »

Hoo boy. What I have planned will certainly be a challenge.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 03:16:08 am »

Insanely, I can't get a fort started. Two embarks lost, second one was military embark. Undead capybara+undead storks, keep fighting, even after being dismembered.  The reclaim effort is not helped by the presence of the last embark. They seem to want brains.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 03:19:30 am »

Insanely, I can't get a fort started. Two embarks lost, second one was military embark. Undead capybara+undead storks, keep fighting, even after being dismembered.  The reclaim effort is not helped by the presence of the last embark. They seem to want brains.

Want the threat of the undead and a place to shack up?
TRY MULTIPLE BIOMES INC multibiomes!

I kid, I kid. but partial neutral partial evil can at least make it initially surviveable. Could move into the evil side from below, then seal the neutral entrance forever thus forcing migrants and merchants to brave the dark side of the map.
Pages: [1] 2