Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: pathing?  (Read 3034 times)

elipsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
pathing?
« on: December 12, 2007, 11:18:00 am »

do dwarves no longer 'sidestep' other dwarves to path faster? I'd swear i see a single line of dwarves crawling over each other...a lot more than in the old 2d version.

hapes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: pathing?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 02:15:00 pm »

I commented on this in 33a, I believe it is still an issue.  They do not sidestep nearly as much as they did in 32a.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 03:57:00 pm »

Ditto.  Even with all the open space in the world, my dwarves seem to prefer to lie down on the floor and walk all over each other than step slightly to the side.

mwoody450

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 05:12:00 pm »

Well, are we sure there's a drawback to this behavior?  Do they slow down if they all take the same path?

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 05:19:00 pm »

They slow down significantly or even stop when someone runs over the top of them. With 50 dwarves running down the same single-tile hallway, this adds up to a lot of lost labour. The sad part is there isn't much you can do currently, as the other tiles next to that path remain unused.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 05:35:00 pm »

The problem here is that you have 50 dwarves trying to squeeze up in a one tile corridor. That's not a bug, it's bad fortress planning.

But even in several tile corridors, dwarves oftentime take the same path. However, I've noticed that when dwarves meet on the same square one of them will move (or be pushed) on an adjacent square whenever possible.

I am on a hot streak... literally.

elipsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 05:55:00 pm »

That's not the problem. I have 4-6 tile wide corridors that are perpendicular to other 6 tile wide corridors. the amount of empty space is staggering but most of the dwarves move along two paths. one is the norther most wall (this is the long conga/crawl line of dwarves who have northern destinations) the other is along the southern most wall (this is the dwarves who have southern destinations) and there's 2-4 tiles between the lines that are usually empty.

Dogs compound this, moving around in waves, causing whole lines of haulers to wait for them. frequently I'll see a single dwarf who layed down at my front door while  a long line of dwarves pass over and over and over him while he doesn't get a chance to stand up.

I distinctly recall watching in the 2d version where dwarves would sidestep each other , some times moving in the center isles the entire duration of their trip. this version it seems to happen much less often. dwarves don't seem to 'spread out' in transit as much.

[ December 12, 2007: Message edited by: elipsis ]

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 08:00:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire:
<STRONG>The problem here is that you have 50 dwarves trying to squeeze up in a one tile corridor. That's not a bug, it's bad fortress planning.</STRONG>

My corridors are 3 or 5 tiles wide. The fact that the dwarves only use one tile width to walk up and down in is the problem. Hence my comment about "the other tiles next to that path remain unused". I can control how wide the corridors are but not the dwarves path in that corridor.

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 11:37:00 pm »

This never been such a problem in my fortresses. It is present, but far from what you are describing.

Did you try playing with the pathing preference? Forbiding the sides of the hallway(s) and placing the middle as the max might have an effect in pathing.

I am on a hot streak... literally.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 11:57:00 pm »

No, but I would expect that to just move the problem from the tile next to the wall to the tile in the middle of the corridor.

It only got to that extreme in one of my fortresses. I had the residential section at one end of the map and the workshops and farms at the other end, connected by the one 5-tile wide hallway. The theory was to eliminate complaints due to noise while sleeping. It was somewhat successful, but had massive traffic problems even though the corridor was wide and under-utilised. So I suppose it could be attributed to bad fortress design after all. My layout has changed since then.