Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Relaxation?  (Read 4288 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Relaxation?
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 07:12:33 am »

Turn shower on, sit under it and think.
'Course, this mightn't be so nice and relaxing in a colder climate... :-\
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

dragginmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 08:00:15 am »

-go out in the garage, crank up the tunes and tinker with my mopar.

-clean the guns

-play a war game online

-whine about my problems to someone

-play with the puppies

several different options, depending on weather, time of day, reason I am stressed.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 08:12:22 am »

Turn shower on, sit under it and think.
'Course, this mightn't be so nice and relaxing in a colder climate... :-\

I can one-up this.

Turn shower on, put plug in bathtub hole, and listen to Classical FM/Classical-music radio.

- But I don't like Classical music!
Tough shit. The sound of emotionally-charged music tops to the jibber-jabbering of other news stations, that being the DJ or the actual songs. Relate your past histories with the emotions that classical music presents to you.

- But I don't have a bath tub! It's just a shower corner!
Turn the shower on hot and sit down against the wall, then. Same effect. I had to do this when I moved to Essex, whereas there was no tub, whenever I needed to relax.

Whenever I have too much on my mind that even continues to drive me crazy whilst trying to play a game or watch TV, the above works like a charm.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 09:52:47 am »

I like to just turn up my music to max volume on my headphones and just close my eyes and listen when i get over-stressed/frustrated. works pretty well, i think

I strongly disapprove of this.  Noise-induced hearing loss is not relaxing. 

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2012, 10:26:26 am »

While not exactly /relaxing/ I always found sport and light competition to be a wonderful destressor. Something about pushing yourself, only really having to think about the moment, moving around physically active, it's just been good for me.

Also, bath:

Fill a bath with very hot water.
Use a space heater/light a fire/light a bunch of candles to make the bathroom itself really hot or at least hold the heat from the tub.
Salts in the tub.
Get a big bucket of ice water, a soup spoon, and a facecloth or two.
Put on some slow, relaxing music - not something you'd ever really want to listen to, just some light background noise. White noise isn't that much worse if you're okay with it, just want to block out the outside sounds.
Bring a large cup of prepared tea.
A pillow for your head doesn't hurt, especially if you have a water proof one.

Turn off bathroom lights (if you have candles, light one even if you're going the space heater route), lay in tub, occassionally putting the cold facecloth on your forehead, chest, or the back of your neck. Every couple minutes, run some cold water down your head with the spoon. Sip tea occasionally.

Don't think about anything - that's the hardest part. Just focus on the hot, and the cold, and the difference between them. Focus on your breathing. Close your eyes, and let yourself drift away. The splashes of cold water should help keep you awake, and insure the bath is restful and invigorating rather than leaving you groggy.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2012, 02:53:03 pm »

I dunno. I saw a chart that described relaxation as a mental state in which you are doing an unchallenging task at which you are highly skilled at accomplishing. (Boredom, or tedium is something unchallenging in which you are only moderately skilled. Apathy involves unchallenging tasks with which you have little skill at accomplishing.)

For me, I always place "drinking beer" in that first catagory. DF is probably none of the above, so I can understand OP's sentiment.

I also don't associate relaxation with any sort of comatose-like activity, like watching TV or meditating or whatever. Spectating or vegetating involves zero skill and zero challenge, thus it's beyond apathy for me. If I want to stop thinking I'll go take a nap.

That's just me, though, I think.

I'd say to go read a book or magazine or better yet, something online (since that's free). Dragging my eyes across text and pondering it's meaning is something I'm good at and it's not very challenging, unless it's in some foriegn launguage I don't understand.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2012, 03:47:20 pm »

Somewhat off topic here, but you might want to see a doctor about how much you should cut down on your drinking. If you've been a heavy drinker, chances are, you developed a dependence to drinking, and cutting out drinking can be unhealthy, or even deadly.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2012, 05:31:21 pm »

And by talking I mean ranting at someone.

+1

Also, eating bread.

Or

Read a book

Or

Take a bath

Or

Punch a wall (or suitable substitute).
Pages: 1 [2]