Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Relaxation?  (Read 4291 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Relaxation?
« on: February 07, 2012, 04:35:52 pm »

So I don't exactly deal with stress in a healthy manner, namely drinking heavily. At some point, I should probably tone that down. I have more problems than I'd ever ask you to solve. What I'm asking for are suggestions for stress relief that have worked for you.

I just don't feel a sense of accomplishment lately and DF with it's programed to explode "losing is fun" mentality just... is something I think I need about a week's break from.

Thank you for your time and consideration
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: Relaxation?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 04:59:29 pm »

Talking about things usually helps me.

And by talking I mean ranting at someone.

Failing that, punching stuff.
*Hugs*

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 05:02:56 pm »

http://www.instructables.com/

Put the booze money into supplies for starting a project that interests you.

When I had more time on my hands, papercraft was also mad relaxing, and very cheap to get started with. Actually, pretty much any sort of hand-crafting puts me into a good mood.

Learning an instrument is also a great way to bum out and relax.

I also usually find cooking to be relaxing, but I act like a moron when cooking, so it's probably more fun than if I just settled down and cooked.

I also watch anime, but tastes aren't very universal.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 05:07:11 pm »

I roll on things like a dog.  Also, +1 for watching anime, playing video games, and origami stuff.  I also write sometimes... not with any constraints on being good, bad, or on anyone's schedule, and I certainly wouldn't show it around to anyone who might know me IRL or as a person named Vector, but it's really relaxing.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 05:11:07 pm »

I don't deal with stress too well myself.  I bottle it up and try to forget about it.  I'm going to explode one day, and it won't be pretty.

That said, I think there's a lot to be said for starting a project or getting a hobby.  I tend to digitally paint in my free time.  It's relaxing unless it's frustrating.  You know how that can be, I imagine.

Writing is good too.  I love doing that, and it sort of has a lower barrier to entry than art (although make no mistake that professional writing is every bit as hard as professional artwork).  Plus you don't need expensive software or physical tools for it.

The problem with this is if you've got much time for a hobby.  If you're like me (and based on the stuff you've posted in general discussion, I assume it's a lot worse really), then you probably don't have a tremendous amount of free time.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 05:12:56 pm »

Ok, well you already ruled out alcohol.   Video games have a way of not exactly causing relaxation, depending on the game.  (Unless you have a PS3, in which case have you tried that Flower game?)

I'm just going to go for the obvious one here and suggest masturbation. 

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 05:20:36 pm »

Sports and excercise help me. I am having diffculty with the demands on my time professionally and its impact on my personal life, but playing a bit of full contact rugby (I am quite a large guy... :) ) has seriously helped with the massive stresses. Go for a run, hit a gym, anything that will release dopamine.
This is a blank sig.

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
  • B12's Department Head of Arts & Recreation
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 05:55:23 pm »

Smoke pot! :D
or
listen to http://www.freesound.org/people/reinsamba/sounds/18766/ + http://endlessvideo.com/watch?v=HMnrl0tmd3k + http://www.rainymood.com/
or
simply watch this over and over again until you just don't care anymore :) http://existenz.se/out.php?id=29576

And ofc alot of the stuff already suggested :D

P.S. Try to combine all suggestions you've gotten so far for some extreme relaxation.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 07:11:04 pm »

Listen to music.

OR

Meditate.

OR

Kill someone.

This is my list of things to do whenever I'm not feeling my most cheerful. Just start from the top, and work your down until you feel you're sufficiently calm. Most of the time, just listening to some tunes is enough to get some good vibes going.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 07:25:49 pm »

I like to just turn up my music to max volume on my headphones and just close my eyes and listen when i get over-stressed/frustrated. works pretty well, i think

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 08:24:36 pm »

I dunno, I just meditate and reflect on the things I did the past few days or months or so to relax.

Otherwise, I distract myself by doing things like playing games to remove the stress, or listening to music to calm myself down.

Also, if you know how to play an instrument, and if you like playing said instrument, you can relax and remove a lot of stress just by playing it.

And doing my hobbies helped to keep me calm at most times.

Finally, if you have someone reasonable to talk with, maybe venting out a little of your problems through sharing stories will remove your stress?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 09:23:50 pm »

Sports and excercise help me. I am having diffculty with the demands on my time professionally and its impact on my personal life, but playing a bit of full contact rugby (I am quite a large guy... :) ) has seriously helped with the massive stresses. Go for a run, hit a gym, anything that will release dopamine.

Start playing a contact sport. Then become the team goon. All your stress - GONE!
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 09:28:30 pm »

Have you tried handstands?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 09:45:03 pm »

A bath. Get the water too hot to the touch. Let it sit for a few minutes to cool down. Get in and sink down to your neck. Stay there for up to 20 minutes, eyes closed, not moving.

Combined with a couple of the other above suggestions and you can make a night out of it. But really that's the point. Set aside time for yourself, not for your job, not for your worries, not for your problems. And realize those are all separate things that don't always have to walk side-by-side in your head.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 01:42:55 am »

Learn to meditate. This helps me out a bunch when I'm strung up, and I can even teach you in a single paragraph, if you want. You can read up on it, but I've read some guides online and found them vague and unhelpful.

Other than that, there's a list:

Exercise. I recommend cardio, but strength exercises work well, too. Running a mile after a stressful day can do wonders.

Nature. Visit some natural place, like a forest, park, or beach, and enjoy it. This can be mixed with exercising.

Eat. Munch on some healthy foods - Lots of fruits, vegetables, whole grains... And then have some ice cream or something. If you're exercising, it won't be a problem.  ;D

Sleep. Get at least 8 hours of sleep every night. Get used to a schedule, and try not to sleep too much into the morning. Light doesn't work well with sleep. If you're short on sleep, don't be afraid to take naps. Avoid stimulants like caffeine after lunch, and don't drink to help yourself fall asleep. Alcohol prevents you from entering a completely rested state.

Talk. Tell someone about your problems, and then...

Listen. Get sincerely invested in other people's lives. It helps you focus less on your life and encourages empathy, which makes us humans happy.

Relax. Take a bath. Read a book. Don't try to have fun while you're doing stuff you enjoy. Just let the fun happen.

Create. Make something you can invest your emotions into. It doesn't matter what, but put your heart into it.

Meditate. Helps you focus, clears your mind, and refreshes you emotionally. It's pretty easy, too, if you take the time for it.

Bonus points if you can make a cool acronym from all that stuff.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.
Pages: [1] 2