Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 27

Author Topic: Premarital sex talk :O  (Read 69233 times)

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Premarital sex talk :O
« Reply #255 on: October 06, 2011, 04:09:00 pm »

Starting to wonder if I'm being deliberately trolled here.

Do as you will, people. You don't need my permission. Just be prepared to live with the consequences.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 06, 2011, 04:11:41 pm »

Exactly what I'm speaking about. Why would free will matter? Who is the omniscient being who could predict us?
Nothing we do matter? but if life is all we have, what we do and what we are is all that matter!
A slave to your wants and desire? When you've pushed yourself so much to achieve what you really want?

That version of materialism is stupid : it negate whole parts of the worlds while pretending superiority over philosophies that invent some. Applying my mind to purely rational though process without negating the aspects of the world that are wonderful or that I don't understand is my objective.

God doesn't necessarily have to be omniscient =)  The experience of the divine need not be Christian, you know.

And yes, that's good.  But then, how can science be better than religion/spirituality?  They walk hand in hand.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 06, 2011, 04:19:03 pm »

Starting to wonder if I'm being deliberately trolled here.

Do as you will, people. You don't need my permission. Just be prepared to live with the consequences.

Not really, you're just giving a VERY one sided approach at what would happen based on one single piece of our psyche.
Pavlov conditioning is a real thing, but it's hardly the only mechanism that make our thought process, and well,... your approach is overly simple. And when I say it's overly simple is the psychological equivalent of saying that since a processor run faster when it's clock is fast, all you need to do to have a super fast computer is to cadence it at 10GHZ in the bios.

But then, how can science be better than religion/spirituality?  They walk hand in hand.

Religion is the opposite of Science. Religion is based on faith, and faith poison Science.
In the same process science is based on rationality, and rationality destroy religion.
You can do both in the same time, but you'll always be in conflict with yourself. You'll struggle with your faith as rationality take is toll and refuse evidence because it contradict your faith.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 06, 2011, 04:25:45 pm »

Religion is the opposite of Science. Religion is based on faith, and faith poison Science.
In the same process science is based on rationality, and rationality destroy religion.

I do both at the same time, and I'm perfectly fine.

You're making strong statements here that, ironically, don't really seem to be logical. You could make a case for empiricism destroying religion, but that doesn't actually do it either.

Might be a language barrier factor.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 06, 2011, 04:29:27 pm »

Science can poison faith, too, by the way >____>  But that's irrelevant.

I enjoy lying in bed, listening to the rain, and thinking about how things are going to grow, and how wonderful that is.  There'll be little shoots of green grass coming up, as though to echo the Talmud, which writes: "Every blade of grass has an angel, which whispers to it 'Grow.'"  And thinking about water, I think about the waves, the ponds, the pools, and all of the life they support.  The magic of coming across a waterfall, when looking down one could almost think one had arrived at the end of the world.

I don't really think science will somehow be able to destroy that feeling.  "God is not scientifically verifiable" does not mean some higher power is non-extant.  Faith does not require blindness.  It means being open to what is there.

Faith is certainly not the opposite of science.  One must have faith that the scientific method will bring the correct answers, after all.

Refusing evidence because it contradicts faith sounds like a lot of bad scientists who fix results, by the way.  The edifice isn't exactly unshakeable.  It's a flawed, imperfect tool, like many others.

I think all three of us may have different native languages (I don't know if Tagalog is your first or not), but so far it seems that we're still having an argument based on ideas, not misunderstood words.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 06, 2011, 04:32:17 pm »

Faith is certainly not the opposite of science.  One must have faith that the scientific method will bring the correct answers, after all.

Oh, I'd forgotten about that. The fundamental basis of science is the idea that the questions you ask can be answered. Which my physics professor once said is basically an article of faith, without which everything would collapse.

I think all three of us may have different native languages (I don't know if Tagalog is your first or not), but so far it seems that we're still having an argument based on ideas, not misunderstood words.

It is, but I have a fair grasp of English.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 06, 2011, 04:35:23 pm »

Hehe.  As I may or may not have successfully implied, you speak naturally enough that I'd easily mistake you for a native.

Hopefully we'll be able to continue discussing pleasantly for now.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 06, 2011, 04:37:37 pm »

I don't know that I agree. I (attempt to) use scientific and empirical reasoning not because I think it'll bring me any closer to some unattainable absolute truth, but because it has a good track record for providing results. Is that circular, though, to say that I use empirical methods because it succeeds by empirical standards? Now my head hurts.

I'd say the distinction should be between claims of absolute truth/knowledge and claims of functioning yet potentially flawed systems of knowledge. There's the difference between "I have faith that this is true" and "This seems to be a valid predictive tool, judging by past experience".
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 06, 2011, 04:39:18 pm »

I don't really think science will somehow be able to destroy that feeling.  "God is not scientifically verifiable" does not mean some higher power is non-extant.  Faith does not require blindness.  It means being open to what is there.
I am seriously struggling with that definition.

Not really, especially with your previous definition of fate.  You can look at how well the scientific method has worked in providing working theories in the past, for instance.

Refusing evidence because it contradicts faith sounds like a lot of bad scientists who fix results, by the way.  The edifice isn't exactly unshakeable.  It's a flawed, imperfect tool, like many others.
This seems to be ad hominem.  The fact that some scientists do unethical things is irrelevant to the strength of science as a process.

Oh, I'd forgotten about that. The fundamental basis of science is the idea that the questions you ask can be answered. Which my physics professor once said is basically an article of faith, without which everything would collapse.
...Uh, what kind of questions would you mean by ones which can't be answered?  I mean, religion certainly doesn't tend to deal with them since they're mostly about providing answers.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 06, 2011, 04:40:58 pm »

Is that circular, though, to say that I use empirical methods because it succeeds by empirical standards?

Yes :D

Leafsnail, I'm thinking on your questions.  I'll try to get back to you eventually, but I've realized I've probably misspoken.  In any case, I didn't intend any ad hominem attacks.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 06, 2011, 04:44:52 pm »

No Faith isn't the exact opposite of Reason, or Science.

In fact, on the fundamental levels of Ontology, the two are both on the same exact end of the spectrum, which are Objectivists. They both see the universe in terms of absolutes: True/false, on/off, 0/1, and typically I'm right/you're wrong.

The opposite of both would be Subjectivism, in which reality is defined by your perspective or how you look at things. That truth cannot ever truly be known, because it's all shades of grey depending on how you approach reality.

Most people fall into varying degrees of these spectrums, and construct their worldviews according to their experiences and methodologies.

EDIT: But yes, get a bunch of religious/scientific objectivists in an online discussion and they'll pick each other to pieces for ages.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 04:46:44 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 06, 2011, 04:45:34 pm »

...Uh, what kind of questions would you mean by ones which can't be answered?  I mean, religion certainly doesn't tend to deal with them since they're mostly about providing answers.

My bad. Let me amend that to can be answered empirically. All questions can be answered.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 06, 2011, 04:52:19 pm »

Kael, the assumption both make is that truth must be univalent, eternal, and present itself in the same way to everyone, and so on.  People can experience Truth in different ways (just think about the blind men and the elephant story), all partaking of the same entity, without it being false.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 06, 2011, 04:52:40 pm »

As a side note, stuff like the Matrix wouldn't be at all compelling if empiricism didn't have holes. We can only experience the world, empirically, through our 5 senses; what's to say nothing is beyond that?

Weird tangent to go on, considering the original topic.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 06, 2011, 04:59:47 pm »

As a side note, stuff like the Matrix wouldn't be at all compelling if empiricism didn't have holes. We can only experience the world, empirically, through our 5 senses; what's to say nothing is beyond that?
Certainly not mainstream science, which is currently looking into particles that you cannot see, hear, smell, touch or taste (such as neutrinos).
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 27