Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: The Life and Times of Reginald Goblinstomper, Elephant at Large.  (Read 51080 times)

Kregoth

• Bay Watcher
  • I had an army of cats once. guess what happened?
    • View Profile
Re: The Life and Times of Reginald Goblinstomper, Elephant at Large.
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2010, 12:48:55 pm »

The purple chap seems particularly fond of a single digit, which is often employed whenever the pointy-eared fellow is involved.

Sorry to express my dwarven noobyness, but what's the digit? 123456789? and what are walloons?

He is referring to the middle finger lol.

I was quite aware of the fact that walloons are sea-going fishtypes. Secondly, I'm quite certain that they usually have skin.
Not sure walloons sounds like a whale but the skeletal variety is my guess. At least thats what i think they are.
Your not playing Dwarf Fortress right if you don't see a message saying a Kitten (tame) had died in some horrible manner over and over again.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2010, 09:09:12 pm »

Bravo.  If it was possible to give animals nicknames, I would name the tame elephant hanging around my fortress's dining room Reginald.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2010, 01:45:07 am »

The previously mentioned cottage industry in engraving featuring yours truly has expanded into the realm of statuary. There have been a great deal of statues featuring elephants striking down rockclads, elephants striking down squeakers, elephants laughing at Shiny Rockclads, and so forth. The digbeards have placed them liberally around the footrest inside and out. I noticed one digbeard placing one precariously on top of a floor supported by a slender column of stone. Apparently there are a great number of these outside of the great wall.

This became particularly amusing when a small group of rockclads showed up the other day along with a shaggy individual much larger than the rest that had what could be laughingly referred to as tusks. Shagtusks must have been a bit of an art or architectural critic as he went out of his way to smash the stone column supporting the statue. Unfortunately, for him at any rate, the statue sans support promptly landed on him. I've often heard that great art can leave one breathless, but I never expected it to be a permanent situation. The rockclads promptly left after this; discretion is, of course, the better part of valor.

It was a few days later that the elephant laughing, shagtusks cringing drawings began to appear. I fear my fame begins to exceed me. These newest images were quite popular in leaf images that were attached to other leaves and clear rocks that were attached to sundry other objects. Small roundish things that held water and other drinks were often decorated in such fashion. This items were largely given to visitors in exchange for other commodities. Can you imagine? Me, a minor celebrity, whose image is deemed worthy of export without the slightest question as to any objection on my part either. No residuals either. Mark my words: this sort of thing will cause problems down the road.

And so it has. A hydra by the name of Eydri has shown up and is attempting to challenge me from just outside the gate as I speak. The creature is standing amongst the discarded remains of a walloon that attempted to hinder the great beast while enroute to the gate. There was a bit of confusion at first as each of the heads attempted to speak at once and merely succeeded in drowning each other out. A veritable cacophony that was. They seem to have just been making general noise until I appeared on the wall above them. Since then, they discussion has been much more focused. Now one of them has browbeaten the others (quite literally in this case) in speaking as a spokesheard. "ELEPHANT! COME OUT, ELEPHANT, AND FIGHT US! WE, EYDRI, CHALLENGE YOU!" I pause for a second to consider my response before calling back "NO SOLICITORS!" That ought to give him something to think about. Several long minutes pass as there is a argument over what a solicitor is before another head speaks up. "COWARD! FIGHT US!" "NO SPEAKEE LINGO!"

Another argument and another spokeshead. "BUT YOU JUST TALKED TO US!" "THAT WAS THE OTHER ELEPHANT!" Another argument, but the same head. "THERE! YOU JUST TALKED!" "I'M A THIRD ELEPHANT!" No argument, but a different head. "GET THE FIRST ELEPHANT BACK UP THERE THEN!"

I then notice the purple buffoon has begun giving me orders in his usual fashion, but with many unusual gestures. After a brief moment, I think I understand some of them. He appears to be making a symbol of tusks with his fingers and jamming them into his other hand. Goring I suppose. Then he waves his hands. Gore and then fly? Gore then beat him to death with the leaf I took from the rockclad? I really ought to dispose of this thing, but I can't bring myself to do so. It fits my trunk rather nicely. Ah, a headshake. I get that one. Don't gore the multicephalic twit? But... don't tell me that he wants me to take Eydri alive. I have no intention of trying to take him either way.

Not wanting to be rude and leave my visitor in limbo, I call back. "FINE, I'LL BE DOWN EVENTUALLY." I then begin to head down the scaffolding towards the dining hall, where I plan to take a nice nap by the fountain. I figure it will take several hours before the heads figure out what happened. The digbeards can deal with him in the meantime. Unfortunately, I happen to glance up and notice Sam soaring about overheard. Well, I shan't retreat in front of him; that eagle would never let me hear the end of it. So I change direction and head down the tunnel through the wall that leads to the gate. Eydri sees me and steps forward in their eagerness to join battle.

A short while later, a tuskstick is busy carrying Eydri's cage off towards the structure where I was educated in the ways of the rockclads. The purple dolt is in absolute ectasy over this. I can only hope that he has found a new favorite and I can wander off as I see fit. Several other digbeards have ventured out to collect the walloon bones as these are apparently quite valuable. As nonchalantly as possible, I nod to my colleague, the Giant Eagle, as I head on down to the Dining Hall. The idea of that nap seems better than ever.

Next Time: Reginald and Sarvesh Hammerthunder or The King Has Entered The Building.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2010, 06:12:58 pm »

sweeeeeeeet
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2010, 09:23:12 pm »

I sense a great disturbance in the footrest; the digbeards are all astir over something and that can never be a good thing. This den of bearded vipers is a hive of activity above and beyond what we normally see. In recent days, a stone trail was constructed to the very horizon under the careful eye of my "rival" Eydri. The twits have it in their heads that I want the level of attention inflicted on me by the digbeards and seek to usurp my position as their favorite. As such, Eydri spends a great deal of their time outside the footrest, beating walloons to death with their foreheads and eating the odd rockclad, shagtusk, and squeaker that they stumble across. As such, this made it quite easy to build a path to replace the older dirt trail.

The entire place is being scrubbed from roof to ceiling, top to bottom, from nave to narthex, and so on. I've even seen a digbeard wash off the accumulated dirt of a dozen seasons all at once. Even the purple donkey that orders me about as if I were a common lackey has gotten into the act by switching out for an entirely different set of leaves. He's still wearing what seems to be five or six layers of them, but they're clearly a different set. One greenclad even spent the better part of the evening shining my tusks and chattering away all the while. I will admit, he did a rather nice job of it, but it doesn't take much to make me presentable if I do say so myself.

There is a heavy atmosphere of excitement and energy that I have not before experienced in my time here. One purpleclad digbeard whose job seems to be to tell other digbeards what to do has especially been active; from what I understand, she usually spends most of her time in her own den and commands from there, but she had lately been running around and taking a personal hand in things. From what I've seen, this often amounts to her carefully explaining whatever it is she wants in their gobbletygook language, another digbeard listening carefully, Talky Purpleclad leaving, and the latter digbeard doing whatever it was they were doing before the purpleclad came along. The primary difference is that they now do so with angry muttering as musical accompaniment. My impression of the purpleclads seems to be much in line with that of the common digbeard.

The air is stifling. Something must happen soon or I think we shall all go insane. Rather, I shall go insane and the digbeards will continue with business as usual.

The day has arrived and I am so far unimpressed. The social "event" of the season seems to be the arrival of two purpleclad digbeards. One of them a relatively tallish, scrawny creature carrying a calf while the other is a stout little fellow who is almost square in shape. The latter is obviously in charge; when he laughs, everybody else (barring his mate, apparently, as I've yet to see any change of expression on her face) does as well. When he stops, so does everybody else. The latter is rare; the old boy laughs at everything. He laughs with delight at the statues, he laughs at Eydri's heads pummelling each other (which, I admit, endeared me to him), he even laughs at the fountains, and he even laughs at me (which somewhat nullifies the earlier endearment). Still, while seemingly a nice chap who enjoys everything, I can't see why he is so all-fired important.

There was a bit of consternation the other evening when a rockclad leaped at the laughing purpleclad out of nowhere with a sharp stick. The situation quickly resolved itself when the theoretical victim subdued the attacker by pummeling him with his own, newly detached arm until I wandered over and stepped on the rockclad to keep him from further mischief. You have to nip this sort of situation in the bud. That was probably the single longest moment I've seen Laughing Purpleclad refrain from so much as the slightest chuckle. On the other hand, it was only seconds later that the situation struck him as being amusing.

That recent incident seems to have reinvigorated the "images of me" industry, which had been trailing off as late. Eydri had begun closing the gap between us while the newcomer purpleclad had quickly shot up the ranks. That gap has widened again considerably. Eydri is apoplectic about it, but it is beneath my notice. The only reason I am aware of it is because of Eydri's moaning about it.

There has always been a steady trickle of new digbeards showing up, but Laughing Purpleclad seems to really draw them in. I usually try to come and watch them arrive as there is always something of interest in such a caravan. The latest group seems a small one and barring a straggler off in the distance seems of little interest. As I turn to go back to my customary post by the fountain, I hear a voice off in the distance. "Reggie? Is that you old boy?"

"Eustace?"

Next time: Reginald is on the case! or Ho, ho, my lad! Ho, ho, my lad!

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2010, 06:10:37 am »

I wonder if this is really the game being played.

Cant wait for what Reginald will do once he sees Eustace!

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2010, 01:29:17 pm »

I wonder if this is really the game being played.

There has to be some artistic liberties involved. It involves dwarves changing clothes, after all.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2010, 05:22:31 pm »

I am in awe of this topic.  It's delightful, hilarious, absurd and yet endearing and classy.  Keep up the good work.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2010, 08:51:16 pm »

Posting to keep this in my 'new replies' list.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2010, 03:53:49 am »

This is wonderful. Keep up the awsome work!  :D

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2010, 08:58:02 am »

Really great work so far. Very unique and excellently written.

*Thumbs up*
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2010, 03:12:11 am »

My sides. I find it difficult to speak. Oh, Koganusān above, my sides. They ache as if they are about to split asunder and yet I cannot help myself. It is sometimes difficult to breathe. A pet. I fear I might die laughing. A pet! Eustace follows that digbeard around all the while with all the airy contentment of the most vapid of dogs. The digbeard will go into a small hut, rap on a rock with a stick for a while, examine it with some degree of satisfaction, carry to a wooden box, drop it in, and resume her original industry. All the time being followed by that great, grey lump of a devoted pet, Eustace. If Uncle and Auntie could only see him now! He simply glares at me whenever we meet as I am constantly hit by a wave of merriment over his situation to the extent that I am nearly overcome with the giggles and cannot get a word or two of proper greeting out first. Laughing Digbeard seems to have developed a kinship with me because of this. He often laughs at Eustace himself; I suspect that it is because I myself do this, but it possible that he finds the situation absurd for a different reason.

The digbeard will often bid him to perform tricks whenever she seems out of sorts or saddened and he gladly does him. I should be embarrassed for him and elephants in general, but it amuses me far too much to see him rear up on his hind legs and beg with his forelegs as a common cave spider would for a scrap from some digbeard.

A pet. My sides!

By no account am I the sentimental sort, but I will admit a soft spot for calves, elephant, digbeard, or otherwise.  The other evening, I saw a rockclad pop out of nowhere and stuff a digbeard calf into a massive leaf and immediately flee with him. There are no lower scum than those who seek to harm a calf. Naturally I pursued. I could not understand how these verminous characters continued to infiltrate the footrest without activating a trap. Nor could I understand why the rockclad was fleeing away from the entrance.

The mystery was soon resolved when I saw him slip out of a small hole in the wall that faced the mountain of fire and the sea. Judging by the soil on the other side, the original wall had a square section that was removed with the intention of rebuilding it as a straight line. The twit of a designer must have issues with symmetry or some other such nonsense. For some fool reason, a digbeard had been interrupted in the process and had never gotten around to finishing the wall. No wonder the rockclads managed to keep slipping inside. Eydri alone had eaten five or six of them in the past few months.

Now was not the time to indulge in petty recriminations over architectural failings as the thieving rockclad was hustling up the mountainside. Sadly for him and fortunately for me, the calf was a heavy burden for him and slowed his escape considerably. Disturbingly close to the statues that mark the edge of the footrest's territory, I managed to overhaul the calfnapper. The fool rounded on me and attempted to defend himself while still carrying the leaf and calf. This allowed me to knock the leaf loose so that the calf would be out of harm's way. I then pressed my attack as the rockclad begin to think twice about engaging such an impressive physical specimen when his ill-gotten gains were already lost (or so I fancy; I certainly would have thought this in his position). I swung at him with the leaf I carry to this day in my trunk and the poor fool dodged it and, in so doing, fell right into a reservoir of the hot, red water that the digbeards had tunnelled into the mountain for. I know how what their purpose was and I suspect that neither did they at the time. Perhaps it's just in digbeard nature to have the stuff handy at all times. I think there was some notion of having it run down the footrest at some point, but the attempt seems to have been abandoned for now.

I doubt he suffered too much as he burned up almost instantly. Dreadful smell though; not unlike some of the food that the digbeards often prepare. They make these things out of common wheat and meat that could probably brain a grizzly bear if thrown at it's head. But I digress, a digbeard collected the calf, another sealed up the hole in the wall after we returned, and all seemed well for a while. A new image soon appeared of a burning rockclad and a laughing elephant. This was to be expected. I find a new image that seems to come from a single digbeard to be much more interesting. It is if two elephants grabbed a weasel at either end with their trunks and pulled until the wretched thing was stretched out entirely too thin. For lack of a better name, I shall call them woozles. Despite their ludicrous appearance, I find something ominous about them.

Next time: Reginald and his new Firey Friend and or The Unbearable Sweetness of Being.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2010, 04:40:59 am »

Oh Koganusan above!!!

In my opinion, the goblin should have drowned in the magma, rather than burned to death.  :P
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2010, 08:28:00 pm »

Not sure what woozle is referencing, but otherwise...

All hail Reginald.   :)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2010, 06:45:57 pm »

Not sure what woozle is referencing, but otherwise...

All hail Reginald.   :)

Most likely Heffalumps and Woozles

edit: I'd say it was a drawing of a forgotten beast or a demon of some sort (like the ones that become law givers, for example).
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 02:15:43 am by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10