Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: The Universes of Destiny - succession world  (Read 5871 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Universes of Destiny - succession world
« on: June 02, 2023, 09:50:50 pm »

Behold, The Universes of Destiny:

A series of weakened dwarven civilizations cling to life in this patchwork land of ocean and forest, mountain and swamp.  Of the Twenty Eight dwarven civs seeded by the gods, only four remain in any true capacity, the rest represented by a handful of nomadic bands.

The Merchant of Walls
The Eternal Fortification
The Corridors of Cooperation
The Gloved Work

Some survived through treaties with goblins, others let necromancers into their ranks, and some were beaten into submission and now live through the sheer benevolence of their captors. 

All have dreams of a return to the time of the Dwarven Kings, when the magma churned in our forges, and the raw mineral of the underground was wrought into massive hordes, worthy of dragon's envy. Will you seek to return one (or more!) of these remaining civilizations to its former glory?

=== The Rules ===

If you wish to take a turn, simply post in this thread and I will add you to the list of players.

Each turn, you have one week irl to build a fortress. Any whim can be followed, any goal pursued, however impossible. You can spend as many years as you wish on this fortress, but once it falls you must pass on the turn. Obviously we cannot prevent save scumming but - do so at your own risk. Armok is always watching.

You are encouraged to post an image journal as you play, or a summary after your turn, or even not post anything at all and simply contribute a mysterious fortress to this Universes of Destiny.

Utilities for UI and cleaning or fixing bugs are allowed of course!

Finally, two mods are applied for ease of access:

-See through smoothing designation mod
-interface tweaks 1.3

let me know and I can help you find the correct mods.

My intention is to update this map with fortress locations and other interesting things.

=== The List ===

1. Salmeuk | post1 | post2 | post3 + save
2. Delphonso | post1 | post2 | post3 + save | post 4 AAR
3. AvolitionBrit | post1 | post2 + save
4. Maloy | post1 | post2 + save
5. Delphonso | post1 | post2 | post3 | post4 |
post5 + save
6. Salmeuk
7. Bralbaard

(updated 08/05/2023)

=== The Histories ===

An Abridged History of the Various Royal lineages of The Merchant of Walls
The Abbreviated History of the Many and Varied Governing Entities of The Eternal Fortification

So inspired by the brilliant World of Bones, and at the insistence of Delphonso, let us begin this tale.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2023, 05:15:10 am by Salmeuk »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Universes of Destiny - succession world
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2023, 12:34:11 am »

An Abridged History of the Various Royal lineages of The Merchant of Walls
As written in year 800 of The Universes of Destiny

Settled in the southern flank of a blue-grey mountain range overlooking a vast swamp are The Merchant of Walls. A dwarven holdout cvilization, led by the esteemed king Litast Inkedlulled [707-], who has now ruled for 65 years. The previous king Kogan Craftyearling [577 - 735] died without producing any heirs to the throne - though not without trying:

Many suspect Kogan was infertile.

Kogan's parentage was as follows: Udil Fountainbent the militia commander and, more importantly, Queen Onul Constructtalked [445 - 616], who herself ascended to the throne after the death of her father Rith Tomesduty [384 - 547].

It was here, when one questioned various sources on Rith's mother, queen Cog Flewcanyons[268 - 445], that the story becomes murky, for queen Cog had no real claim to the throne. Her parentage was of no real importance beyond a certain proximity to the throne, with her mother being Rimtar Arrowdipped the High Butler, and her father a mere outpost liasion.

The full story is revealed when looking at the record for the previous ruler's name: Inod Brasssoaks [234 - 604]. You read that correctly, folks - Inod lived for almost 400 years. So something occurred after Inod became king, but before his death in 604. Something involving some dark magic, a few lustful nights, and a great big flambé at the end. Let us now examine the life of Inod.

== The Life of Inod Brasssoaks, Dragonslain Necromancer and The Once-King of Dwarves ===

Inod Brasssoaks, before his strangely disturbed middle years, was born a fairly normal dwarf with no royal lineage to speak of. He worked as a plain fisherman, then a woodcutter, and later as a ranger.

However, in year 311 Inod was granted the title of King through random lottery, as the previous king Kogsak Rarebell [155 - 310] was murdered by elvish assassins, and Kogsak (similar to the later king Kadol), had managed to outlive all three of his offspring.

On that morbid note, and most curiously, Cog Swordropes the eldest son of king Kogsak was brutally slain by Yare Bigdeer the Geared Meadow, Wolf Man [93 - 394] - that same year as his father! Only one season separated their deaths. This stood out to many dwarves as suspicious, but none dared to suggest a connection between this death and conspiracy. Some talked of Yare Bigdeer, saying that this wolf man worked for the infamous Kadol Brushedboulders.

The death of Kogsak represents the first dead end of the dwarven royal lineage, as traced from first king Ilral.

Just who is this Kadol Brushedboulders? We will examine that particular character in a later entry. For now, lets just say she is one of the big baddies of this world, in fact one of the biggest baddiest ones, and has been striving to build a network of corruption and an army of demonic creations for over 750 years. The fact one of her many minions happened to off one of the king's sons could easily be coincidence.

Inod became obsessed with his own mortality and sought to extend his life by any means in 362. 13 years later, he had become student to the necromancer Pilat Innpages [347 - 451], who passed on the worst (and thus best) of his magic to Inod.

Inod began calling himself "The Time of Merchants" and soon fled the throne, leaving The Merchant of Walls in disarray. Cog Flewcanyons [268 - 445] would pick up the title of queen at this point in time, but Inod's story was far from over.

Inod began worshipping the dwarf deity Vucar, and traveled across the land searching for stray corpses to practice upon. During this time he wrote a number of books: a vain description of his assumption of the title "The Time of Merchants", a woeful account of his divorce, and a guidebook to the tower of Cherishdeaths.

In year 411 two corpses were raised, but put to no real use by Inod. He must have read his own guidebook or something, because he ended up settling in that same Cherishdeaths. This was a tower of ill repute um uh "owned" by The Lobsters of Ownership (a confusing and unexplored civilization led by elf necromancers, who I suspect are also outward followers of certain objectivist philosophies).

Inod raised further corpses, and wrote further books, but never really broke past his original three subjects of choice, and often chose to stupidly write books about his own books, further confusing the issue of whether he was actually an author or just trolling everyone.

Inod spent 178 years like this.

In year 589, Inod's life changed in an unforseen and dramatic way.

Inod fell hopelessly for a fellow necromancer, Vutok Glovenames [136 - ], a real beauty, full of life er death, with the simple dream of ruling the world. Now, Vutok might be worthy of a post of her own, but lets put it like this: Vutok Glovenames is the undead daughter of Ilral, the first king of The Merchant of Walls.

Fortunately for Inod, he is not descended from the Ilral lineage otherwise this would have quickly become some kind of fetishist's wet dream.

That same year, perhaps to impress himself upon the far more experienced and powerful Vutok, Inod took up monster slaying. His first target? A dragon.

No, not really. But after five years of moderate success, Inod came face to face with Zedan Taxedwealths the Torrid Fires [-243 - ]the Dragon and quickly died a hot, hot death. Roasted, toasted, and crisped.

So ends the tale of Inod Brasssoaks, whose name ended up being rather appropriate if you know what I mean. *ahem* the guy charged a 900 year old dragon, right? That takes some gusto.

=== Some Historical Tidbits ===

The remaining non-necromantic royalty, as traced back to the earliest records:

Litast Inkedlulled, [707 - ], the newest and most boring king. Given the throne in year 735 after winning the lottery.
Kogan Craftyearling [577 - 735], son of Onul, king from 616 to 735. Died of old age, with no offspring. This marks the second time the royal line died out.
Onul Constructtalked [445 - 616], daughter of Rith, and queen from 547 to 616. Once survived a bronze colossus attack. Died of old age.
Rith Tomesduty [384 - 547], son of queen Cog, and a fervent worshipper of Deler, the peregrine falcon deity. Died of old age.
Cog Flewcanyons [268 - 445], after the abdication of Inod, she was given the title queen and ruled from 377 to year 427, when she died of old age. Her corpse was stolen and brought back to life by the as-yet-unintroduced necromancer Etur Beakbridged, who interrogated Cog's ghoulish form for state secrets, then sent her to mindlessly attack the nearby goblin spires where she was (once again) struck down in 445.
Inod Brasssoaks [234 - 603], became king through lottery in year 311. Abdicated in year 376 after seeking eternal life and all that jazz. Later died after challenging a dragon lol
Kogsak Rarebell [155 - 310], son of general Mosus, was king from 209 to 310. He was once offered Clovenreign, the artifact steel spear of legend, as a gift, but later misplaced it in a ruin. Died from elf attack, with no surviving offspring, marking the first dead end of the royal lineage.
Mosus Shaftshot [102 - 208], son of the first king Ilral, father of later king Kogsak Rarebell. Served as general from years 168 to 208 but never as king. He once tamed a cave crocodile. Died of ? ? ?
Shorast Spikecrafts [87 - 208], "the shortest reign", son of queen Tosid, king from 206-208, also well known for independently discovering the construction and use of the blast furnace in 194. Died of ? ? ?
Tosid Paddleblameless [40 - 206], "the first queen", mother of king Shorast and queen from years 166 to 206, survived a fight with a troll and avoided multiple corrupting agents. Died of old age.
Ilral Ironheather [7 - 166], "the first king", father of Tosid and king from year 26 to 166. Known for hosting hundreds of throwing contests and, occasionally, winning against his legendary competitors. Died of old age.

More to come, including the legends files for those interested.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2023, 05:18:28 am by Salmeuk »

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2023, 10:00:20 am »

Love this idea, sign me up
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2023, 03:28:12 pm »

I'm interested in signing up
Schedule is kind of crazy so if it is acceptable I'd like to sign up with maybe the possibility of having to be moved further down the list

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2023, 07:19:50 pm »

Can't think of a better way to prepare a world for adventure mode. The four weak civilizations certainly is an interesting scenario.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2023, 09:26:07 pm »

Added. And we're always flexible Maloy. I'll throw you on the list, and if you have some sudden free time, post as such and hopefully we can re-arrange or make space.

We'll see how interesting this world proves - I'm waiting to see if we get anything more than two migrant waves (having embarked as The Merchant of Walls, supposedly the largest remaining civ)

===

It was king Litast who encouraged us to strike out and found a new holding. "Travel west. You will find a towering waterfall, and here you shall build a new bastion against the necromancers and titans."

===

The group of miners was led by Astesh, practicing broker and accomplished empath, who suggested they name themselves after the new moon witnessed shortly after leaving the mountain halls.

===

The party had arrived:

Above:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Below:

With six miners at hand, Astesh saw no reason to hold back, and drafted blueprints at a grand scale:

===

Moments after striking the earth, tragedy:

An unfortunate reality but the first crafted good produced at this fortress must, in fact, be a coffin:

Time will tell how the other six recall this event.

===

A ramp is dug to the valley floor, allowing easy access for gatherers and woodcutters:

Eastern expansion in late spring:

The bustling fortress entrance:

Astesh and Lorbam have sour moods... not great:

Migrants:

More digging:

Rooms:

The stone here is a pink rock salt, and within the innards of this hillside we have struck many minerals including precious chalcedony and limonite:

Outside, a bridge is constructed to the far western cliffs, providing a chokepoint should someone unsavory take notice:

A central room, finally:

The jeweler goes nuts,

then produces something simply beautiful:

A great first artifact! Huzzah! That chunk of jade must have been gigantic!!!!

Another circular temple, this time in the shape of either a crescent moon or a cat, depending on how drunk you are:

===

The year is 802. Work continues with no sign of further migrants, or invaders of any kind.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2023, 02:07:21 am »

A section of the cavern has collapsed!

Damn dwarves always digging so carelessly despite all work-safety protocols!

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2023, 06:43:34 pm »

Post To Watch.

Wow, somebody already died?  Well, as long as the cat is okay.
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2023, 02:17:24 am »

PTW

You know it's gonna be a good fort when someone dies right as the mining starts.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2023, 07:20:34 am »

Another circular temple, this time in the shape of either a crescent moon or a cat, depending on how drunk you are:

This was a particularly clever line. Kudos.

Man I'm excited for my turn. Looking forward to making a violent and shortlived fort somewhere wild. Whispermine is not only a great name, but a beauty to behold as well!

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2023, 07:26:04 am »

This was a particularly clever line. Kudos.

Missed that when reading. Haha, excellent one there.

Donnerino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2023, 10:17:18 am »

Put me in the line-up. I've been itching to do a succession game since I got the Steam version.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2023, 04:01:02 pm »

That autumn, Whispermine became a barony:

Astesh was the obvious choice, being expedition leader and all that.

With all the new faces around, it was decided to form a militia (despite a curiously peaceful existence thus far):

Soon, over 20 dwarves were training with axes and shields, in the retrofitted circular room:

===

I'm feeling the time crunch, haven't had as much time to play as I wanted. gonna try to sink some hours in tonight.

list updated!! thanks for the interest, all.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2023, 03:37:08 pm »

Artifacts:

Expansion:

Then, Werellama!!!!

The first casualty, a stonecutter:

Tulon arrives on the scene:

Followed by the other fighters:

Crisis averted.

===

With the birth of the first child at Whispermines in year 803, there is new hope brought to the Merchant of Walls. The dwarves will remain even as I leave, surviving and thriving next to the great waterfall.

Save here: https://dffd.bay12games.com/submit.php?action=message&fid=16741

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2023, 11:23:11 pm »

>:(  I hate were beasts.  They cause so much more trouble than vampires.
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6