Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Against the Storm inspired challenge  (Read 4704 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Against the Storm inspired challenge
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2023, 02:12:12 pm »

She'll pile up several positive thoughts and then, bam, "Oh no, I walked by a dead kea man once a year ago. I got rained on a couple times a while back. The world is ending." And then she pulls shit like in that picture above. Annoyed sleeping in the dirt? Annoyed sleeping in the dirt?! DON'T SLEEP IN THE DIRT THEN, MORON! YOU HAVE A BEDROOM! AND YOU WERE LIKE 3 STEPS AWAY FROM IT!!! And don't try to claim I was overworking you girl because you were on free time when you chose to sleep there. You are literally sleeping in the booze stockpile. Ugh.

.... lol. some dwarves are extremely relate-able in this regard. Life is good, yet they still complain...

it used to be you would only have one aquifer at the top of the layers, but now you can find them pretty much at any depth.

breeding grizzlies? honestly, that's awesome. you would be surprised how rare a 'breeding pair' of animals can be. CHERISH THEM. oh no one died  :'(  :'(

hmmm. so it seems like, overall, the fortress is fairly comfortable? you aren't all that pressed for time, just the fact that finding 50 semi-precious gems is kind of a long shot or impossible depending on geology. .

perhaps more difficulty is needed. if I wasn't so busy with my IRL tabletop games i would work more on the design here but alas.

Happiness (really, Zas, the red dwarf) is very slowly turning around.

I'm thinking this 'Zas' is really the Queen in disguise. and her constant state of unhappiness is due to hearing all the rabble complaining about her demands  :D

BlueTrillium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2023, 10:50:25 pm »

Heh xD Well the cut gems one is impossible because I don't have a Jeweler workshop to cut them (unless I dive for caverns and get a lucky extra workshop draw!) If they were rough, it would be tough but doable (I might even have enough rough semi-precious jewels in storage already). It's probably good to have some not-doable goals from time to time though, so we feel some impatience-stress. xD Even with this, the goals this time have so many impatience rewards that even with a failed goal I'll still have negative impatience at the end of next year!

So, yep, it's fairly comfortable... as long as nobody pulls the wrong jenga stick lol. For instance, if a megabeast or titan or siege came, I would be absolute toast barring some crazy luck. I'd say I've been both fairly lucky, and also playing it pretty safe.

oh crud. OHHHHHHH, crud. I jinxed myself.

I have a possessed dwarf mood.

and they want BONES

I'm in BIG trouble now. Maybe I can use some tricks and hold the failure off until the fall caravan and hope for a lucky workshop... *all fingers, eyes, and toes crossed* (right now I think waiting for the fall caravan -- I'm in mid-summer -- will be faster than trying to find the caverns. Though I might work towards that too.)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2023, 04:06:40 am »

perhaps more difficulty is needed.
I'll just say as someone who can't fortress this challenge looks incredibly difficult as it stands right now, but it will be interesting when it comes to adding military related challenges to the list.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

BlueTrillium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2023, 12:58:24 am »

The next caravan has arrived and Year 5 is complete!

A farmer went into a secretive mood and decided our civilization's first Queen deserved immortalization as an artifact hand-held figurine. Of brimstone!
Spoiler: Artifact Figurine (click to show/hide)

For whatever reason, an elf diplomat just appeared (no warning, just suddenly bam there they were in the middle of my fort) on DAY 1 of Spring. They 'gave us a warning' about disrespecting the trees in this area (but did not give us a tree-cutting quota) and left. Well, okay then.

The regular elf caravan arrived about 2 weeks later at the usual time and with the usual alert. And... they had grizzlies!! They were super expensive but I happily scrounged up enough to buy two female grizzlies, who were promptly pastured with the wounded male grizzly, and trained for war. Here's hoping for cubs next year. Then I was very intrigued to see snapping turtles and alligator snapping turtles and I thought... hey. Shells for moods someday? So I bought a pair of each and stuffed them in with my peacock, pig, and pet chicken. I managed to catch an alligator snapping turtle laying eggs in a nest box, and forbid the eggs, so hopefully we'll have some of them hatching eventually too. With the trade goods I had left I bought all the clothes I could. I've definitely seen quite a few warning thoughts about worn and missing clothes so hopefully this will help.

As the elves were leaving, I got a HUGE wave of migrants. Yep, 15. Filled us allll the way back up to the new popcap, and I most definitely don't have beds set up to accommodate them, lol. But... I don't understand. FIVE of them are children. As per the challenge rules, I DO have the child/baby cap solidly set at 10%. I already had one child in the fort (Endok) so I shouldn't have been able to get more than 2 or 3 more at most. So getting 5 (for a new total of 6 children in a 35-dwarf fort) has me totally baffled (and also pretty annoyed). They're mostly younger children, too. The oldest two are 14, the rest are all under age 8. Ugh. Well, whatever.

Here's the list of migrants (nobody with notable skills unfortunately):

iton is the only single, and he brought along his pet bunny.
Dodok and Kivish are married but childless.
Tobul and Solon are married, Logem is their daughter, and they brought Solon's pet kitten.
Datan and Kib are married, and Cog, Catten, and Kivish are their children.
Tosid is kinda another single, in that he came alone, but he does have a wife and 7 kids that he left behind (he brought his pet chicken)
Dobar and Litast are married and Adil is their son (they left 2 other children behind)
Three non-pet animals also arrived with the migrants - another kitten, a goat, and a llama.

Time passed pretty smoothly gathering up the items for the next tribute. The shields were taking the most time, and more wood had to be cut for them (sorry not sorry, elf dudes. You didn't give me a quota so...). The human caravan came and went, nothing special.

But maybe getting those snapping turtles was a mistake because...

HE WANTS BONES (or maybe shells).
Either way it doesn't matter because I don't have a butcher to obtain them!

There's a bunch of reasons why I don't want this guy to go crazy. There's the impatience penalty. There's the point of pride that throughout three forts since I've started playing, I've never failed a single mood. And there's the fact that this workshop (like most of my workshops currently) can't be closed off from the rest of my fort. If he goes berserk or something I will likely have even more impatience penalties if other dwarves die too (and he's a miner, so he has a pick...it could be a slaughter). Plus this guy has what I think are some pretty nice stats that I'd rather not lose.

So I look for options.

Per the wiki, "sometimes" if you fight a butcherable animal and knock a limb off, when it rots it may turn into useable bone without a butcher. I've never seen that happen, but can't hurt to try. So I checked my map and there were some wild turkeys running about. I sent my wrestler squad after them, and somehow one managed to knock off a wing (I think kinda chopped it off with their shield, lol). So I gathered that in to see if it'd turn to bone.

If that didn't work (and it didn't look like it was going to -- all the other bits turned to skeletons eventually, but the wing stayed a wing) my only option seems to be to get a Butcher. Which means hoping to draw one as a reward from the Fall caravan, or going for the caverns and hoping for a workshop draw as a bonus tribute. It was already mid-summer, so I decided to wait for the caravan.

I know the trick of 're-setting' the madness timer on the mood by forbidding one of the items he grabbed (though I've never had to resort to that trick before), so I kept doing that to keep the dwarf going. It wouldn't last forever though, and he was getting very unhappy being unable to attend to his other wants (though fortunately, not hungry or thirsty yet).

Finally the fall caravan came. We were elevated to a county! (great, lol, her rooms aren't even good enough for a Baroness yet). We turned in 59 walnut logs (base + bonus), 48 bars of billon (base + bonus), 30 bars of lead (base + bonus), and 48 highwood shields (base + bonus). The fifth goal (cut gems) we were unable to do because we don't have a Jeweler.

The bonus rewards netted -6 impatience and 1 bonus workshop. Rolling the bonus workshop gets me

Well it's not a Butcher, but I'll take that Loom! We can at last make cloth (and take the next step towards clothing and bags).

For the 4 base rewards... I'm truly desperate for a Butcher now, so I will take 3 workshop draws and +1 rep. So here go the workshops...

First -
Jeweler. Now we can handle cut-gem goals if need be.

Second -
Got all those already. Rerolling -
Clothier. Now we can make clothes! Nice but... still no Butcher. I'm kinda sweating bullets now after not just taking all 4 workshop draws...

Third -
WHEW. Gosh. Okay, obviously, I am taking Butcher.

Now time to roll goals for next year:
Spoiler: Tribute rolls (click to show/hide)
Well... that's a mix all right. Hm. There are certainly five+ do-ables, though I definitely won't be able to do all the bonuses I think.

Goals for next year:
  • 77 prepared meals -- -1 imp for biscuits.
  • 18 rough semi-precious gems -- +5 popcap if I can get the right kind.
  • 21 pedestals -- +5 popcap if I make them all out of metal. Eesh.
  • 20 short swords -- +5 popcap for 2x.
  • 16 metal bars -- -2 imp for 2x.

Final Status for Year 5:
  • Impatience = -5 (was -2, +3 for failing a goal, but -6 for bonus rewards, so nets out to -5 final)
  • Reputation = 15
  • Population = 35 (cap 35)
  • Available workshops =
    Spoiler: Workshop List (click to show/hide)

The caravan hasn't left yet. Once it does I'll check my exports and see if I get any more reputation from that. I traded them quite a lot in order to buy out their clothes and fuel stones, plus they had some steel gear I really wanted to grab, and a couple instruments I plan to put in my dining hall/tavern. I also bought a couple more peacock hens since my one from embark is getting kinda elderly. Bought some gypsum plaster for the future hospital, some food ingredients (esp since I have food for tribute again), wood, the usual.

So, I'm not out of the woods yet with mood-guy, but at least I have a way forward now, when I next continue.

*edit* While waiting for the caravan to leave, I built the Butcher. They immediately grabbed the old turkey skeletons and chopped them up into bones! I didn't think they'd do that with old skeletons, but this is awesome because I didn't have to slaughter anything and waste the hide since I don't have a Tanner yet. And yes, the moody guy accepted the turkey bones and started working away.

He finished before the caravan left:

Two more historical nobles from my civilization. I must have a fort of history buffs.

And also (I assume because we're a county now) we gained a couple more holdings:

Once the caravan finally left, I was able to check how much I've exported (not counting tribute) to the Mountainhome, and we're up to 48k! That gives me +2 more rep.

And I realized also that I'm supposed to earn rep for creating artifacts! Counting this latest one, we have created four artifacts so far: the mug, two figurines, and the coffer. So that's +4 more rep. I've edited the 'Final status of Year 5' info above to reflect this. 15 total rep! I'm halfway to beating the challenge!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 04:21:00 pm by BlueTrillium »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2023, 11:53:33 am »

damn. honestly, it seems like your fortress is destined for victory. well done.

As the elves were leaving, I got a HUGE wave of migrants. Yep, 15. Filled us allll the way back up to the new popcap, and I most definitely don't have beds set up to accommodate them, lol. But... I don't understand. FIVE of them are children. As per the challenge rules, I DO have the child/baby cap solidly set at 10%. I already had one child in the fort (Endok) so I shouldn't have been able to get more than 2 or 3 more at most. So getting 5 (for a new total of 6 children in a 35-dwarf fort) has me totally baffled (and also pretty annoyed).

yeahhhh children are generally useless lol. I think migrating parents will sometimes bring children regardless of the cap but I am not certain, because I have seen similar things..

that's a brilliant idea to sever a limb and let it rot.. though really a Hail Mary shot when it comes to securing a useable bone hahah

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

BlueTrillium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2023, 11:32:26 pm »

Oh killing stuff and letting it rot for bones was definitely a Hail Mary! It didn't work quite how I hoped it would, but it ended up being helpful anyway.

I bet you're right about the kids. Probably the 10% cap prevents new kids from being born if existing kids are already at or above that % of the fort, but doesn't do anything about migrations (up to the regular pop-cap). I'm still learning what applies to births and what applies to migrants but... the way it's shaking out it seems like the only thing that migrants care about is that main popcap and everything else is just limiting births, heh.

(side note, I really wish I could figure out how to get dwarves to marry. Nothing to do with this challenge or anything, I just would really like more pairs in my fort so I could -do- something about the 'be with family' wants. I know, I know, they're not a significant source of unhappiness. But clearing wants makes *me* happy, lol. I've tried locking them in various rooms together etc. Maybe I just need to do it more frequently.)

It does seem like my attempt is going well! I still feel like I'm on a bit of a knife-edge since I know certain things could destroy my fort super-easily if they happen, but I don't feel any danger from the monarch's impatience now that I've pretty much gotten the workshops I needed. I do think that I was also super lucky for the most part with goals and rewards, despite the stress of stuff like the extended lack of clothes or the need for bones.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2023, 11:28:49 pm »

(side note, I really wish I could figure out how to get dwarves to marry. Nothing to do with this challenge or anything, I just would really like more pairs in my fort so I could -do- something about the 'be with family' wants. I know, I know, they're not a significant source of unhappiness. But clearing wants makes *me* happy, lol. I've tried locking them in various rooms together etc. Maybe I just need to do it more frequently.)

hmm. there is a fair amount of people with success generating marriages. Brewer Bob managed to encourage marriage in Waterlures with your described technique. It does take a fair amount of time spent together, and not all pairs are sexually compatible (creatures in DF have basic sexual orientations). You can 'fix' this incompatibility with DFhack if, for instance, you have a particular dwarf you want to marry off. At the very least, you can examine dwarves with DFhack to make sure you aren't wasting your time as overseer.

I'm curious, so as a new player have you tried any mods from the workshop? if so, are there perhaps any that have helped you learn the game? 

BlueTrillium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2023, 12:23:16 am »

Re: Marriages -- Hm. It must just take a lot more instances of locking them in, I suppose. I started out with a pair of dwarves that were already lovers, figuring that would be easier (and assuming that if they were already lovers they must be compatible preference-wise), but I have to admit I can't seem to pin them down into the same place at the same time all that often. I've resorted to sticking two unattached levers in their rooms and creating a lever-pulling custom labor that only they do. Then when they come in (I totally fill both levers' queues so they hopefully -stay- in there long enough for the other to arrive) I lock the door for awhile until I see at least one interaction in their recent memories. Usually I try for two thoughts - one for something like 'tenderness talking to a lover' and one for 'having an intellectual discussion with a lover' or similar. Then I let them get back to work until I decide to try again heh.

Re: Mods and the workshop -- I haven't used any at all from the workshop, nor do I use DFHack yet. Though I've written two 'mods' myself... both of which edited the main files directly, unfortunately, because I haven't figured out how to do it properly in a separate mod file yet. (and I know I need to - both because I want to do things properly, and because I assume my 'mods' will be overwritten whenever the next update comes)
- The first one was a simple edit to fix the bismuth bronze armor sprites so that they actually show up in-game. That one worked just fine, even in an existing world - I assume because it was visual-only.
- The second one was an attempt to give elves and humans the ability to do trade agreements (because it really really annoyed me that as soon as I got the monarch to move in I could no longer request stuff from caravans). That one only half-succeeded. The elves do give me trade agreements but the humans do not, so I think I've done theirs incorrectly. I do know humans randomly generate their 'roles' but that's my difficulty, since there's no pre-existing role in the main files (that I saw anyway) to add the role to, and I didn't feel confident generating a whole role out of thin air and have it work correctly. The elves change technically works but they behave a little weird so I'm not entirely sure I haven't screwed that one up somehow too. They haven't given me a tree quota yet since I made that change (and I created a new world too), and the envoy sometimes arrives at weird times in spring (separate from the caravan) and sometimes comes more than once in the same spring (I had an elf show up on day 1 of spring with a vague threat about abusing the trees - but no quota - and then they showed up again with the trade caravan in spring and give me a trade agreement but no tree commentary).

I probably will cave and use DFHack and other mods eventually, but I like to thoroughly learn the vanilla game first (bugs and all) before messing with it too much. xD Then I usually start (as above) with writing my own initially (sometimes downloading other people's mods to use for reference) before actually installing other mods more fully. I'm also not really familiar with using Steam for modding. I typically have used mods from NexusMods and similar places for other games in the past, where I can download the mods and dissect them separately before deciding if I want to actually install them in my game. Steam seems like it tries to control the whole process for you, which I think will annoy me (though I could be wrong on that, having not actually tried yet)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2023, 01:39:41 am »

I'm also not really familiar with using Steam for modding.
I've used Steam workshop for mods before and basically you click subscribe on the mod page, it downloads, and that's it the mod is installed.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

BlueTrillium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2023, 08:21:30 am »

I'm also not really familiar with using Steam for modding.
I've used Steam workshop for mods before and basically you click subscribe on the mod page, it downloads, and that's it the mod is installed.
That's the problem for me, kinda. I like to have a bit more control over things, so that when stuff goes wrong I can troubleshoot and fix it without some 'mod manager' that thinks it knows better overwriting/undoing all my fixes, heh. Though perhaps Steam isn't as overbearing as all that, we'll see.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2023, 12:21:05 pm »

ah , you should not be afraid. unlike Bethesda's atrocious modding sphere (usually involving the installation of a mod manager, followed by hours of selection and compatibility checks), DF now has access to mod activation on a per-world basis. So you just install the mod from the workshop and, when generating the world, select the appropriate combination of things to activate.

but I like to thoroughly learn the vanilla game first (bugs and all) before messing with it too much.

this, however, is a very fair point

Steam seems like it tries to control the whole process for you, which I think will annoy me (though I could be wrong on that, having not actually tried yet)

Steam does affect the modding. I am not familiar with the process sadly, but it sounds as though you are forced to write your mods within certain guidelines for compatibility reasons, but overall there are no additional limits to what you can create. . again, I could be wrong here

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2023, 02:51:35 am »

I never noticed Steam to be overbearing when it came to modding.

BlueTrillium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2023, 11:10:03 pm »

Ohh, installed mods are activated on a per-world basis? Intriguing. At least it means that if I choose to grab something from the steam workshop I'm not necessarily forced to immediately include it in all my current/future saves. That's a cool feature that other games I've modded haven't had.

Anyway! Got through another year and finally got enough together to post!

For some reason some months later after the other holdings joined me (I assumed due to the promotion to County)... another holding joined.

I suppose I could be checking these holdings periodically for useful dwarves to ask to join, but I figure that's kinda against the spirit of the popcap. Not sure it would even work because of the popcap. They'd maybe just... never come? Eh no matter. I don't want to tempt myself so I don't bother looking.

Another strange mood struck --

Had to build a Jeweler for her (now that I can, xD) because that's apparently her highest moodable skill. All she grabbed was a rock crystal. Large perfect gem, maybe...?

Nope. Didn't know you could get those from a jeweler mood, but ok. The image of tigers on the bracelet sounds pretty cool.

Spring invaded, and the elven caravan came. Nothing special, bought all the clothes I could of course. Though I am kinda concerned that I've still gotten no grizzly cubs from the ones I bought last year. I've also had peacocks, snapping turtles, alligator snapping turtles, AND a regular hen sitting all on nest boxes with 'forbidden' eggs, and absolutely nothing's hatched. Very strange. I'm wondering if I screwed something up somehow, or if I'm just insanely unlucky with unfertilized eggs? And perhaps gay bears? xDD Idk. Nothing I can do about it, so we'll see what happens by this time next year I guess.

Cruising through summer, got nearly everything ready for the next tribute. Humans, came, again nothing special/standout. With tribute basically finished, I've turned my attention to trying to finally get the hospital up and going, which involves making more bedrooms so the dwarves can move out of the hospital rooms where they have been staying, lol. Progress is slow (mostly because I'm indecisive on where I want to try and cram the bedrooms in). I did undertake to try and create a waterfall across the corridor that has the entrance to the hospital area. I've heard it's good for washing away contaminants. Not that I've had any issues with that in this fort. Mostly I just wanted to do it and see how it worked. It worked all right, despite the slowness of the bucket brigade adding water into the waterfall loop from my very-distant aquifer-reservoir.

Another mood --

Imagine creating a super-fancy coffin, claiming it for yourself as an 'heirloom' (how many times do they expect a coffin to be used anyway)... and decorating it with someone else achieving a masterpiece. Mostly this just serves to remind me that I also don't have any kind of cemetery/tombs set up, since nobody except Tosid has died (or gone 'missing'). Eh, it's on the list, but pretty far down. Still got lots of bedrooms to do.

Autumn came and we are elevated to a duchy! And I'd just gotten the Countess's rooms up to snuff, lol.

Requested the usual from them for next year (coal) and some flux (maybe I can make a few bits of steel?). In turn they hope for us to sell them cloth next year. Eh, unlikely, I've only just gotten my clothing industry barely started. But good to know.

First I delivered all tribute - due to a relative abundance of galena, I gave them lead pedestals and bars of lead for those two goals & bonuses. The swords were some silver (also from the galena) and some obsidian swords. Interestingly, I discovered that if you specify the wood to be used in the obsidian sword job... it becomes described as that wood's sword. So many of mine for example, were specified to be made of obsidian with a highwood hilt, and came out as "highwood swords". And they definitely looked wooden. The ones where I didn't specify were called obsidian short swords and definitely looked black. When delivering them for tribute, the ones labeled "highwood swords" were also near-worthless, maybe 30 coins or so compared to the "obsidian swords" which were usually worth about 120. I imagine because of this the highwood swords, if I were to use them in a fight, would also use wooden stats instead of obsidian stats. Bug? Anyway, they were delivered, along with a buttload of biscuits, and some semi-precious gems.

The only thing I could not get the bonus for was the gems. I had enough semi-precious to cover the demand, but have not seen a single one of the types specified for bonus. Still, that's 5 base rewards + 4 bonuses. Pretty darn good I feel.

The 4 bonuses come out to -3 impatience and +10 popcap.

For the 5 base rewards, I decided I still wanted to try and get a Leatherworker. A magma smelter would also be awesome, so I could start saving coal for future steel (if I ever get enough flux for it, or find some). So I went with 2 workshop draws. Then I decided I might as well take +5 popcap to bring the new popcap up to an even 50 (and allow a mayor, I guess xD Hopefully they elect my Duchess so I don't need another set of fancy rooms). Then the last two base rewards just went to +2 rep.

So, rolling the workshop rewards... It's getting tough now, I keep getting rolls that are all three workshops I already have. I'll just show the ones that finally showed something I didn't have yet.
- darn, gotta take the useless Fishery.
- and forced to take the regular Glass Furnace as well. Also completely useless since I already have the magma version. I guess I could use the regular one to gather sand for me if I wanted to do the gathering somewhere further away from the magma furnaces.

Well, that was a waste. I guess it removes them from the pool though so maybe next time...

And now to roll the tribute for next year...
Spoiler: Tribute rolls (click to show/hide)
Dang. I knew I'd been lucking out on these goals in the years thus far... and these are still achievable (I think), but I'm not sure I'll be able to get any of those bonuses. Let's see...

Goals for next year:
  • 51 blocks -- -2 imp for quartzite if I can find some. It is metamorphic, so maybe.
  • 68 stone boulders -- +5 popcap for rock salt or satinspar, neither of which I've seen. And they're sedimentary so... unlikely.
  • 27 rough ornamental gems -- -1 imp for the requested kinds, which I've not seen so probably not.
  • 25 hoods -- +5 popcap for plant cloth. Probably the most doable bonus here... if I start growing pigtail.
  • 23 tunics -- -1 imp for leather, so that's not going to happen without a leatherworks.

Seems like the Monarch wants my dwarves to continue having a clothing shortage. xD Maybe I can buy a bunch of plant cloth from the caravan before it leaves and make the hoods from that, and use my own yarn/wool for new clothes for my actual residents.

Final Status for Year 5:
  • Impatience = -8 (was -5; -3 from bonus rewards)
  • Reputation = 19 (was 15;+2 from artifacts, +2 from base rewards)
  • Population = 35 (cap 50, awaiting migrants)
  • Available workshops =
    Spoiler: Workshop List (click to show/hide)

As usual, I'll wait for the caravan to leave to check if my non-tribute exports gain me any more rep. Interestingly, at least so far I haven't seen any more holdings pop up yet for being elevated to a Duchy. I'm also growing increasingly worried about the world outside my fort. Nobody's come bothering me (thankfully -- I don't count the kea-people, or the occasional kobold, they're just nuisances) but based on the 'news and rumors' the traders deliver, there's LOTS of goblin kidnapping and siege/takeovers occurring. Mostly targeting elves, but definitely some dwarven and human settlements have fallen victim as well. Maybe once the new migrants come in I can/should focus on the military more. Even if I have to stick to iron weaponry instead of steel. I did manage to buy some steel bits and bobs off the caravan.

BlueTrillium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2023, 12:20:02 pm »

A sneak peek for next year's update (hopefully posted either tonight or within the next couple of days) :

- There doesn't seem to be much of a limit on the size of migrant waves. Or at least I haven't found it yet. Dangit.
- My civ doesn't know how to make tunics. Shirts, fine. Tunics, nooooooooo. -facepalm-
- The goblins have found us! Or more precisely, they've found our children!
- I may or may not have started a war. With a militia of four dwarfs clad half in bone. I'm sure this is fine and there will be no repercussions whatsoever.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2023, 01:39:55 am »

Surviving AND thriving! You are only 11 points away from the requisite 30 for a "win".

There doesn't seem to be much of a limit on the size of migrant waves.

you mean the waves are overwhelming? I've had waves of 30+ dwarves.. this can cause issues.

My civ doesn't know how to make tunics. Shirts, fine. Tunics, nooooooooo. -facepalm-

Hyrule, this is not.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5