Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Against the Storm inspired challenge  (Read 4890 times)

BlueTrillium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Against the Storm inspired challenge
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2023, 06:32:39 pm »

you mean the waves are overwhelming? I've had waves of 30+ dwarves.. this can cause issues.
    Yeah, I raised my popcap by 20 this last round (15 as shown from rewards above, and then 5 more from something that will occur in this post xD) and ALL 20 of them came at once. I was hoping for less, so that I'd finally get some breathing room between the actual pop and the limit, but nope I guess not.

Anyway! Year 6 recap!

Firstly, last year's caravan left, so I could check the exports -- 68k, up from 48k previous. That gets me +2 rep (now 21 rep).

As expected from becoming a Duchy, we got yet more settlements linking to us econonmically... but something is a bit strange here...
    So I investigate. Apparently the Whisper-Mirrors of Confusion is just the site government for the Acecaves hillocks that joined me. Very weird that I got all those notifications for Acecaves though and I've never seen that for any other holding before or since, yet. Maybe I should've looked into Shorast instead, but that'll be some other time.

Spoiler: A child has a mood... (click to show/hide)

Now to get to work on those tribute goals. I checked, and nope my civilization can not make tunics. It's not an option at the clothier. So that's one failed tribute goal right there. I know, I could probably just pick a different goal but.. eh I don't like the other goal options either. I'll take the fail. I can afford it. xD

I'm hoping to find quartzite for that one bonus goal. It's metamorphic, so there's a pretty good chance... I think. So I went to the stairs way off in the corner by my water reservoir and start digging down... Good news! I found some quartzite eventually (at level -40....) Bad(?) news! I hit the roof of an immensely tall cavern to do it. Immediately sealed off, of course. The only (living) thing I've seen down there is cave swallows and a Giant Mole (which actually looked pretty cool). But this means I need to roll an extra Cavern Tribute.

The fortunate thing is that these goals are not affected by what year I'm in. So they're as 'easy' as Year-1 goals. I decide to take the chairs/thrones goal. 26 should be easy enough for the bonus. I hit the cavern on 5th Obsidian (Late-Winter), so I have until Late-Spring to deliver. And now I can start mining quartzite boulders for the tribute!

As a bonus, along the way to the quartzite I found some marble! So I also have flux now! Slowly I should be able to get some steel going.

Seriously though. This first cavern layer is SO tall. I'm not certain I can even see the bottom of this layer yet. But for sure it stretches from level -14 down to level -55. Most of it is just open air. I have seen some first-cavern trees on some ledges though, and first-cavern moss is now growing on the dirt areas in my fort so... I didn't actually hit two caverns at once or anything. It's all just one really tall layer.

Spoiler: Another mood... (click to show/hide)

By the time the elves came I was ready to atom-smash the thrones for that Cavern Tribute, so I did. Doing so got me a base reward (+1 rep, rep now 22) and a bonus +5 popcap (popcap now 55). Yeah I probably should've taken a workshop reward but I didn't think of it, oh well.

From the elves I bought a few more grizzlies, since I haven't had any cubs yet from my existing ones. Maybe these will be more compatible.

After the elves left, bam, migrant wave. Twenty(!) migrants, bringing me all the way back up to my full popcap. There were so many I didn't even screencap all the arrivals, so no pics, sorry. The fort is now up to 15 children total. At least some of these new kids are a -little- older, like 15.

So now that I'm over 50 pop, I got a mayor... fortunately they elected the Duchess. So I don't have to worry about 2 sets of rooms, heh.

Spoiler: Another mood... (click to show/hide)

And then, disaster struck.

WHAT. Goblins have never come to my fort. And how did they get her? Only 2 snatchers showed up and I killed one almost immediately, while the other one disappeared almost immediately. Neither one got anywhere near the fort. So it must've been the one that disappeared.... it was way up in the corner of the map near my reservoir. Endok might've been doing a hauling job up there. Ugh.
    Spoiler: Endok's Overview (click to show/hide)
    Awww dangit this makes me feel really sad (on top of kinda freaking out, because I've never had a kid snatched before). Endok is the only child that has been born in the fort, all the others migrated here. Her mother is one of the militia. Her father is our weaver. (and I really don't understand the 'freed' thought, because she was most definitely not freed...)

Now I may grouse and whine about the number of kids in the fort, yes, but once they're here, they are MINE. Ain't no gobbos taking my people! Especially one that was born here! So now I have to figure out how to get her back... with a militia of four dwarves total, decently trained but substandardly armored (half their stuff is bone, lol). Another mystery is how the gobbos found out about me. They were 'no contact' before this. All their lairs are basically on the other side of the world (admittedly, a small world, but still).

By the time all this was resolved, it's early autumn. The humans had come and gone. And I realized, I had effed up majorly. All this time I had been thinking I needed the quartzite for the 68 boulders goal. No. I need the quartzite for the 51 blocks goal. And I haven't cut a single block out of quartzite. So I quickly set up a big block-cutting job and prioritize it. Hopefully it will finish before the dwarves come. And now I need 68 boulders of something else. So I start digging some more.

The dwarves have come! But the quartzite blocks aren't quite ready yet. Should be good before they leave though. Except... NO! I didn't specify what kind of blocks to cut! -facedesk- So while I do have some quartzite blocks now, it's not going to nearly be enough. I requeue the job properly, going specifically for quartzite blocks this time. I should still be able to make it in time.

While they worked, I delivered the rest of the tribute. Boulders were no problem, since I couldn't do the bonus I was able to deliver a mix of boulders that added up to 68 just fine. 25 plant-cloth hoods (mostly pig tail, some rope reed) were delivered for a bonus, and 27 random rough ornamental gems were also delivered (no bonus). Finally the quartzite blocks finished, so 51 quartzite blocks were delivered for a bonus.

So that comes out to 1 failed tribute (the tunics, +3 impatience), 4 successful tributes for base rewards, and 2 bonuses that total out to -2 impatience and +5 popcap. For the base rewards, since I still lack a tanner, leatherworker, and magma smelter, I'll go for 2 workshop draws, and +2 rep.

Workshop draws:

Leatherworker! YAY!

Blast it, I have to take the regular kiln, since I don't have it yet. So that's a waste, but at least I got leatherworks.

Tribute Roll for next year:
    Spoiler: Tribute Roll (click to show/hide)
    Some of those numbers are getting dang high! But a relatively 'easy' roll I think...

Goals for next year:
    • 40 metal bars -- I don't think I'll go for this bonus.
    • 90 blocks -- +5 popcap bonus for 2x. Doable.
    • 80 meals -- +5 popcap for biscuits. Easy-peasy.
    • 49 coffins -- Won't go for this bonus.
    • 34 maces -- Won't go for this bonus either. It's doable but not worth it.
    This time I waited until the caravan left, so I could check the exports for rep right away -- we're up to 84k exports (from 68k previous), so +2 rep there.

Final Status for Year 6:
    • Impatience = -7 (was -8; +3 from failing a tribute, -2 from bonus reward)
    • Reputation = 30 (was 22 after last year exports and Cavern Tribute; +4 from artifacts, +2 from base rewards, +2 this year exports)
    • Population = 55 (cap 60 after bonus reward)
    • Available workshops =
      Spoiler: Workshops (click to show/hide)

Now technically, the theft of a child cost me +3 impatience. But.. since I got them back very quickly -- even before the caravan arrived -- I figured that recovering them would nix or balance out the loss? What do you think? I'm okay with it if I still need to deduct impatience, just let me know.

But wait! 30 rep means... I've completed the challenge!! Huzzah! It was pretty fun. xD (and probably ended just in time, before the gobbos could come attack my fort lol).

Bonus Reel!

Finally got some grizzly cubs while the dwarven caravan was there!

Awww <3
    Note that it was the untrained bears that had cubs. Does becoming a war grizzly maybe prevent (or slow down) having cubs somehow? Hm.

And bonus 2....

My efforts to turn the Duchess's lover into a spouse have failed miserably, haha!![/list]
    « Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 06:52:55 pm by BlueTrillium »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #46 on: June 22, 2023, 11:30:06 pm »

awesome update. feels weird to see someone else complete this random challenge I thought up but also very satisfying. . perhaps in the future these kinds of challenges will be incorporated into the base game through modding or scripts. they seem to make for good tutorials.

Well, since I can't make things any worse (can't I? heh), I send out the raid again. This time I alter the options to ONLY recover citizens of my civilization. And... success!! Stealth was achieved, nobody was hurt or killed, and Endok is returned to her family. Her mother on the militia was touchingly happy to be reunited with a loved one.

wow. I've never done that.. I would also say that earns you back the impatience, absolutely haha. brave soldiers indeed to assault the goblins as such.

what's next, a different fortress? continue onward with this one?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #47 on: June 23, 2023, 03:38:56 am »

Now technically, the theft of a child cost me +3 impatience. But.. since I got them back very quickly -- even before the caravan arrived -- I figured that recovering them would nix or balance out the loss? What do you think? I'm okay with it if I still need to deduct impatience, just let me know.
    I'd think that if you recovered the child the impatience you got for losing it would be undone when the child was recovered.
    The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
    Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
    but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
    Quote from: Leodanny
    Can I have the sword when you’re done?

BlueTrillium

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #48 on: June 23, 2023, 03:01:10 pm »

Thanks, all! xD

I'm definitely considering whether to just... continue running this fort (tributes and all) as if the challenge was still going, just to see if the goblins really do take me out when they start attacking. Maybe if I pre-emptively take back that human hamlet that's near my fort, that might discourage them... The population there is only 10~. With my grizzlies perhaps I could do it.

Though perhaps I might remove the popcap just to see how big my migrant waves can actually get. xDD Well, probably not yet. Not until I have bedrooms enough comfortably for what I've got (plus I don't want a monarch just yet).

And if the goblins don't obliterate me, then... well most likely I'll try starting out another fort again in a couple (game) years and see what else I can learn about. I've been kinda feeling the urge to attempt building a town-like above-ground fort. xD Maybe something oceanside? I haven't played with ocean yet, either. *ponders*

At any rate, I'll probably keep yearly-updating this thread as long as I keep playing this fort. *thumbs up*

BlueTrillium

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #49 on: June 24, 2023, 09:28:44 pm »

Year 7 recap!

I played on through the end of autumn and all the way to late-winter... and then the game crashed, so I lost all of winter. This was both good and bad, as some things I was able to prep for better... but were perhaps a bit less fun since they weren't a surprise. xD At any rate, info below is of course from the second attempt at winter.

By the beginning of winter I was able to raze that goblin-held human settlement. It took three 'raze' actions to destroy the hamlet (the first one killed all the goblins, the second two did nothing, but after the last one, the hamlet was finally razed).

Just as I'd finished that, a wave of enemies attacked! First, three kobolds appeared and were taken care of, no problem. Then my first goblin 'vile force of darkness' showed up. Six goblins, half crossbows and half bows. Then, while I was fighting them, three goblin snatchers appeared. As you might guess, I have a bit of a major grudge against snatchers. They went down hard. xD One war dog was the only casualty on my side.

A lone dwarf was sent to demand tribute of the other dwarf civilization - tribute was declined, but they know my existence now and will hopefully send trade.

Spoiler: A child had a mood... (click to show/hide)
    That's two artifact mugs my fort has now!

The Duchess demanded a black-bronze cabinet in her dining room. Fortunately I had no problem fulfilling that one.

I've built a 'vault room' to hold most of my artifacts thus far. Every artifact is in there now except for the two mugs, which in a fit of recklessness I am allowing the dwarves to actually use to drink from, lol!

Kea-people attacked... somehow they got inside my fort. There seems to be some kind of hole in the defenses somewhere around the covered pasture. This is at least the third time they've appeared in the pasture. I'm not sure where the hole is and I've tried several times to patch various spots that I thought might be the problem, but to no avail. I have one more idea to try... but I won't know if it's successful unless/until the kea people break in again. The attack from the kea-people injured a couple farmers, triggering the use of my hospital for the first time. Everything seemed to work well! Also, no dwarves died in the attack, but one kea-person escaped with a green glass toy hammer.

We hit the new year, and a cat and my only pig died of old age. :'( The cat had been a pet to my original miner/now militia commander, but was somehow un-pet-ified when the militia commander came back from the last raze mission. I don't know why, but I suppose it saved that dwarf a depressed thought over the loss. I'm still kinda depressed though. (I am very much a cat person.)

The elves came, and I bought a Giant Dingo to help guard the reservoir entrance (my dogs are getting... very thinly spread. As in I only had like 2 dogs left, one at the reservoir and one at the entrance to the fort). Other than that, just the usual elf stuff - clothes, wood.

Migrants came, bringing me back up to the popcap of 60, along with their pet goose and pet turkey (both male).

A petition was made for a farmer's guild! They call themselves the Guild of Buds, haha. Petition was accepted and fulfilled with no trouble.

My first forgotten beast appeared in the caverns!!

Made of MOONSTONE? And a webber? Yeah I'm glad I have the caverns sealed off. They actually sound like they'd be a really pretty monster though.

Early summer, another vile force of darkness briefly appeared and then disappeared again, apparently on their way elsewhere. I have no idea where they'd be going since we live on an isolated peninsula and passing us would be out of the way to... literally anywhere, but ok. However the snatchers that followed on the force of darkness's tail did not pass by. They tried to take on my Giant Dingo and a child. They lost, with some rather epic moves from the dingo (e.g. biting them on various areas and effectively shaking them to pieces). The child was slightly injured but healed up quickly in the hospital.

Human caravan arrived... and so did a strange mood. Unfortunately this mood wanted leather, and the humans weren't selling any (nor did I have any in stock). And I don't have a tanner to make my own. So the only thing for it was... Dive for a second cavern! Which I did. I dug and dug and dug.... and finally hit the roof of the third cavern, evidently bypassing the second cavern altogether. Purple fungus and bloodthorn everywhere! So I rolled for the extra cavern tribute...

Of course I'll take the wood on that. No bonus, but 35 logs are easy enough to smash. I did so, and rolled for a workshop...

YES, the Tanner! (and Dangit, there's the Magma Smelter I want, too... but I need the Tanner right now).

A lone mitten... into the vault with you.

We were scrambling to finish the coffins and blocks for the tribute. Not because of lack of materials, but because the dwarfs just wouldn't do it! I ended up building an extra Stoneworker workshop to help out, but we weren't quite done when the dwarves from the Monarch arrived. Still, we had time. And it took forever to haul everything to the trade depot, too. xD Mid-hauling, the caravan from the other dwarven civ also showed up! So I hauled even more, in hopes of having enough to grab all the goodies after delivering tribute.

While that was going on,
    Spoiler: Yet another mood (click to show/hide)
    Another one for the vault.

The stranger-dwarven caravan sent a liaison which gave us news, but did not open up a trade agreement for next year, so I couldn't ask them for anything. Maybe next year? But the Monarch's caravan wants these:

Managed to deliver all the tribute except a few straggling blocks to the Monarch's caravan before they packed up. I smashed the rest of the blocks. So I got 5 base goals succeeded, and 2 bonuses that totaled to +10 popcap. I waited for the caravan to get off the map and then checked -- my exports are 100k, up from 84k previously, so that's +2 more rep.

For base rewards, I still want that magma smelter so I'll try 1 workshop draw. The rest will be +4 rep.

Drat, got stuck with Bowyer.

Spoiler: Tribute Roll (click to show/hide)
    I'll take...
    Goals for Next Year
    • 36 windows (will do green glass) -- 72 for -2 imp
    • 97 stone (will try for mica, I know I have some) -- if all mica, -1 imp
    • 26 shields (will... try for silver) -- if all silver (or all leather, but I don't plan to try that), -2 imp
    • 93 rings -- workshop draw if all shell (I have turtle shells now... dunno about that many but we'll see xD)
    • 115 amulets -- workshop draw if all wool cloth (dunno if I can do that either but we'll try)

And then I found out I have a bug in my random generator -- you can't make shields (or any armor) out of silver. Only weapons. The generator bug is fixed now so it won't happen again, but for the shields goal above I'll have to try for leather.

Final Status for Year 7:
    • Impatience = -7 (was -7; no change)
    • Reputation = 39 (was 30; +3 from artifacts, +4 from base rewards, +2 this year exports)
    • Population = 60 (cap 70 after bonus rewards)
    • Available workshops =
    « Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 09:55:17 pm by BlueTrillium »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #50 on: June 25, 2023, 06:32:30 pm »

And it took forever to haul everything to the trade depot, too. xD Mid-hauling, the caravan from the other dwarven civ also showed up!

I found this to be the most obnoxious part. you can generally attain the tributes, but the process of actually bringing them to the caravan took up equal amounts of time..

Kea-people attacked... somehow they got inside my fort. There seems to be some kind of hole in the defenses somewhere around the covered pasture. This is at least the third time they've appeared in the pasture. I'm not sure where the hole is and I've tried several times to patch various spots that I thought might be the problem, but to no avail. I have one more idea to try... but I won't know if it's successful unless/until the kea people break in again. The attack from the kea-people injured a couple farmers, triggering the use of my hospital for the first time. Everything seemed to work well! Also, no dwarves died in the attack, but one kea-person escaped with a green glass toy hammer.

keas.... my green nemesis. lock your doors tightly.

Made of MOONSTONE? And a webber? Yeah I'm glad I have the caverns sealed off. They actually sound like they'd be a really pretty monster though.

very beautiful indeed, until they paralyze and kill every member of your military and slowly pick off your citizens one-by-one as they carelessly trail into the caverns to pick up a sock,  or whatever . .

stability ai's take on the prompt "a moonstone shaped like a dinosaur" :

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

BlueTrillium

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #51 on: June 25, 2023, 09:57:49 pm »

stability ai's take on the prompt "a moonstone shaped like a dinosaur" :

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
    That is abjectly terrifying xDD Even knowing AI's issues with features like hands and such, I just... can't help but wonder if the big ballooned out part is the head or the tail... except the other end definitely looks like a tail... except the 'feet' are pointing that way, so... xD

BlueTrillium

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #52 on: July 20, 2023, 10:51:44 pm »

Finally finished Year 8!

Winter brought us another siege with the same old pattern - 3 kobolds, then a siege of about 10 gobbos (mostly shooters) and 3 snatchers. They killed my giant dingo. :c But the dingo earned a name for itself before it went! Otherwise, no issues/casualties on my side.

When the elves arrived in spring, I hoped to replace the giant dingo. Unfortunately they didn't have any... but they DID have several giant cougars. So of course I got those!

Another forgotten beast arrived in the cavern, no big deal...

But THIS guy shows up on the surface!

I was worried because of her history of kills - at least 8 dwarfs had fallen to this guy elsewhere, among other creatures. But I needn't have worried. My squad took her down without a scratch. They took out her knees and legs until she fell over, then chopped her head off.

Spoiler: Another kid mood (click to show/hide)

Migrant wave arrived and brought us back to the popcap with 6 adults and 4 children -- though 2 of the children were 18 years old already apparently.

The summer invasion arrived and was taken care of no problem. Another forgotten beast arrived, but I feel like it might get taken out soon by the other one that came earlier, because that one has been taking out elk birds and crundles and gorlaks and plump helmet men left and right. But so far they haven't run into each other (at least not where I get an alert for it).

At this point I gave up on the shell-rings tribute goal. It only gives you one ring per shell when you are making rings specifically and there's just no way I was going to breed, butcher, and carve 90-some turtles in time. Maybe I might've gotten more rings if I took the chance on random crafts where you can get up to 3 per shell, but... nah. So I'm going to take an impatience hit, but I'm negative so it's nothing to even worry about.

Spoiler: Fey mood (click to show/hide)

The female Giant Cougars had cubs! I feel like both 'entrances' to the fort are pretty well-guarded now. Got about 6 giant cougars at each.

Four children total (over this year) grew into adults.

And I've got a grizzy-splosion on my hands. xDD Gonna have to link some more grizzlies up to my military and start sending them out against more sites, maybe hold back the goblin horde a little. Maybe next year.

And at last, the fall dwarf caravans arrived. Still no trade agreements with the other dwarf civ, but my own civ is requesting these for next year:

Delivered tribute first - the windows (72 green glass), stones (97 mica), shields (26 leather), and 115 amulets (all animal wool). So four tributes succeeded (all with bonus), and one tribute failed. After the home-civ caravan left the map, I checked exports - 134k, up from 100k last year.

So now for rewards... I have 4 base rewards, 4 bonus rewards that total out to -5 imp and a workshop draw, a failed tribute (+3 imp), and +3 rep from the export value.
    Rolling for the bonus workshop draw (come on, magma smelter)...

YES! Magma Smelter!

All right so then for the base rewards I'll... honestly I'm not sure how much longer I'll play this fort. The hankering for trying out some new things grows stronger lol. But hm. Eh, let's do +10 popcap and +2 rep.

So now, the final recap!

Goals for Next Year
    • 102 meals (stupidly easy) -- biscuits for +5 popcap
    • 16 plant thread (note to self, turn off auto-weaving to cloth) -- if all pigtail, -2 imp
    • 24 wool thread (as above) -- if all alpaca or sheep, -1 imp
    • 72 meals (lol) -- biscuits for -1 imp
    • 26 soap (eh just something different) -- 3x fulfillment for -1 imp

Final Status for Year 8:
    • Impatience = -9 (was -7; -5 from bonus awards, +3 from failed tribute)
    • Reputation = 46 (was 39; +2 from artifacts, +2 from base rewards, +3 this year exports)
    • Population = 70 (cap 80 after base rewards)
    • Available workshops =

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #53 on: July 21, 2023, 10:14:41 am »

brilliant! the fortress chugs along nicely.
    I was worried because of her history of kills - at least 8 dwarfs had fallen to this guy elsewhere, among other creatures. But I needn't have worried. My squad took her down without a scratch. They took out her knees and legs until she fell over, then chopped her head off.

Minotaurs suffer from what I will now deem "squishy body syndrome". Despite their strength and size they feel pain like any dwarf. Weapons are OP against such creatures, who often fall paralyzed in fear after the first wound, and are subsequently finished off like a butcher slicing up a ham roast. .  oof.

any further thoughts on the challenge design or difficulty? now that you've transcended the most challenging early days, I wonder what kind of 'random events' might occur, maybe some additional challenges or production needs. something to delay your all-too-smooth progression towards regal recognition.

BlueTrillium

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #54 on: July 21, 2023, 02:26:17 pm »

The hard part, I think, is figuring out a way to trigger additional events while still letting them be random. AND preferably not adding *too* much additional overhead on the player's part xD (I just now realized that I think I was supposed to get some kinda rep or imp reward for repelling all those sieges haha xD nbd though)

We could of course simply set times (e.g. each turn of the seasons perhaps) and then have another random generator with a (preferably large and varied) list of events that could occur at that time, possibly including 'nothing happens' as one or more of the options in there.

Or another trigger that prompts us to roll a new event might be 'whenever a new forgotten beast, titan, or (semi)megabeast, (or werecreature, or a siege? kobolds, snatchers?) appears'. That would be less structured than the turn of the seasons, take it a bit more out of our hands. Could be other things too -- every time an artifact is created, or every time migrants arrive, or every time a child grows into an adult or something.

Then the events themselves might be things like....
    - nothing happens, no event this time
    - an extra surprise tribute demand (similar to when we hit the caverns)
    - a demand for us to raid (or even raze entirely?) the closest enemy site within x months
    - a demand for us to 'acquire' the closest known artifact not held by our own/ally civilization within x months
    - a demand or even a sudden unexplainable urge akin to a 'strange mood' to do a certain thing, like...
    --- build something open to the public (tavern, guild, temple, library) and lure x amount of visitors
    --- some other mini (but potentially useless/annoying) building project like... make a pump stack x pumps tall. It can be for whatever you like, or even for nothing, just make that pump stack. Add x cells to your jail/dungeon (or if you don't have one yet, make one with that # of cells). Make a beautiful room of x size and x materials... and then seal it off so no dwarf can use it. Idk. xD
    --- purposely fail to deliver a tribute goal?
    --- you *must* find the next cavern/magma sea by x months
    --- send out x raids within the next y months
    --- cut down x trees (and/or if you have an agreement with the elves, deliberately break it)
    --- sacrifice/butcher x number of animals within y months. Even if you don't want the meat and/or had better use for those animals. And if you don't have a butcher shop yet... well better get creative and find another way xDD
    --- find seeds for a crop you aren't currently growing, and grow x of it within the next year (and if all your crop space is full, well I guess you'll just have to sacrifice some of your usual crops to grow this!)
    --- have at least x dwarves using a certain weapon in your militia, or alternatively, remove all dwarves using a certain weapon from your militia (switch them to a different weapon)
    --- or create a full squad with x type of armor/weapons (e.g. a bone squad, a bismuth bronze squad, a leather/wood squad)
    - something detrimental but without gameplay like (a rival spreads vile rumors about you in the monarch's ear, lose x rep)
    - something positive without gameplay like (the monarch is unexpectedly fond of something in your last tribute, gain x rep)

Huh, well that's all that came to mind at the moment as I started typing, but actually that's more than I thought I'd come up with! xD I'll keep thinking on it though.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #55 on: July 22, 2023, 04:00:24 am »

I'm liking the sound of some of those events you've come up with.
    The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
    Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

BlueTrillium

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #56 on: July 22, 2023, 08:12:20 pm »

Thanks! If you had any event ideas you particularly liked (or particularly disliked) and you wanted to share why, I'd be happy to hear! Might inspire more ideas.

-----

Meanwhile, completed year 9! This one went really fast, mostly due to a series of funky events...

Winter came, and with it the annual winter siege. This year, the snatchers appeared right on top of a child. Even with giant cougars around and the army nearby on its way, I couldn't stop them from snatching Fath.

Having learned from last time, I immediately sent off a raid against the goblin settlement where the child was rumored to be held, with the goal of only returning missing citizens of my civ. The first raid was a success, but did not return the child. The second one (sent immediately after the first one returned) was also a success, and this time the child was retrieved. Fath was returned in less than a month.

Spoiler: Fey Mood (click to show/hide)

Then I noticed something odd. There was a large pile of forbidden goods near my trading post. Looking at the items I see some of them were pieces of the tribute I had sent to the monarch and others were goods I hadn't bought from the caravan. But -- there was no wagon wood. So a wagon did not die. No idea why one wagon would've dumped its gear and then kept going with the rest of the caravan but... I guess it's mine now. I smashed the items that were part of my tribute and dealt with the rest.

And after that... something even odder. It's winter, there's a snowstorm going on and piles of snow around... except some snowpiles are the wrong color. I hover over them and they say 'pile of sand' instead! This is totally new to me. It seems like the sand spreads based on traffic levels in the area, but yeah I'm seeing sand piles just about all over my map. Will be interested to see if they disappear once warm weather comes. Maybe this 'sand pile' behavior is something new added in that latest update?

Then out of the blue one of the giant cougars died. There was no fight going on, no logs other than the cougar's, which seemed to indicate it had fallen or been thrown somehow. But this was on the surface in a wide open space, in an uncrowded pasture. My best guess is something (maybe the past winter siege?) had startled it up into a tree and now for some reason it fell down (the tree was not chopped) and, essentially, broke its neck and suffocated to death.

The elves came and went (got some more giant dingoes to add to my giant cougars). No tree demands. Migrants came but stopped one short of meeting the popcap. Population is now 79. And surprisingly, all the migrants were adults! The usual crop of low and useless skills, a 'talented optics engineer' (what's that lol), and a skilled speardwarf that is destined to start my next squad as I expand the military to start using up bears.

Then came summer -- and a siege. But this time, they wanted to parley. They demanded an artifact -- probably the cheapest one in my fort, a gabbro toy axe -- to go away peacefully. I considered it, but there were only like 10 gobbos there. So I decided to experiment with the exploit that lets you strip parleying forces naked lol. xD (At the same time, I got a petition to build a craftsdwarf guildhall, which I accepted to get it out of the way.) Except the gobbos kept coming... and coming... until there were 39 of them! But my mayor/duchess had gotten thirsty waiting for me to say yay or nay and left to get a drink. So I couldn't change my mind now. I frantically kept stripping the new gobbos as they came and making sure my military was nearby. The mayor/duchess finished her drink.... and got re-elected. I'm not certain the re-election is what triggered it, but suddenly the (mostly-but-not-fully-stripped) gobbos were attacking. So I attacked back. And we won! But one dwarf (a new member of the militia) got surrounded and killed. Two more dwarves were injured enough to go to the hospital, but recovered. The dead dwarf's two grizzlies hung out around the site of his death -- one of them also grievously injured, but slowly recovering. Until it, too, died (of infection -- without that, I think the bear would've recovered). It was pretty sad.

I got the dwarf buried and checked out his memorial engravings -- apparently Kol had led a rather interesting life before joining my fort. He'd gotten divorced, got apprenticed (to a goblin!), and written at least a couple papers/books. Then the poor soul came here, joined the militia, befriended two grizzlies, and... had every single tooth knocked out of his head and both ears cut off before he died (seriously his coffin contains 10 teeth, 2 ears, and the rest of his corpse). His bear was given a slab next to him.

And... there was no human caravan this year. I assume the siege kept them away, but there was no notice of it at all.

Also, the sand piles did not disappear with warm weather. They are still all over, and spreading. It doesn't seem to matter what kind of ground is underneath the sand pile - I've got sand on top of rock and grass, as well as exposed sandy loam. No idea. xD I could probably pave over it, but... eh.

Spoiler: Another mood (click to show/hide)

A lone migrant arrived, replacing the dead Kol and bringing the population back up to 79 (why not the cap of 80, I have no idea).

I sent out a raid to the nearest settlement (a dwarf settlement the gobbos had taken over) at the end of summer. Per the report, my tactics were superior, but for some reason the defenders still had positional advantage. We fought, killed some gobbos, no losses, etc, but came back with no spoils either.

So now it's autumn. Both dwarf caravans arrive, along with one last lone migrant, finally bringing us up to 80 pop. For next year my civ wants:

I delivered all the tribute - 26 soap, 16 plant thread, 24 wool yarn, and 174 biscuits. So five base goals filled, no bonus for the soap or thread/yarn, but the bonus for the biscuits comes out to -1 imp and +5 popcap. I lost a dwarf, but it was to a siege so I don't think I'm penalized for that one. Once the caravans left, exports to my civ were at 152k, up from 134k last year, for +2 rep. For the 5 base rewards I will... hm. I guess +5 more popcap to make it an even 90, and the rest goes to +4 rep.

Not so easy this year haha.

Goals for Next Year
    • 81 meat -- 2x for +5 popcap
    • 114 stone -- all microcline for +5 popcap
    • 27 ropes/chains -- all metal for -1 imp
    • 38 crossbows -- all iron or all bone for -2 imp
    • 46 maces -- all copper or all bismuth bronze for -2 imp

Final Status for Year 9:
    • Impatience = -10 (was -9; -1 from bonus awards)
    • Reputation = 54 (was 46; +2 from artifacts, +4 from base rewards, +2 this year exports)
    • Population = 80 (cap 90 after base and bonus rewards)
    • Available workshops =

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #57 on: July 24, 2023, 05:16:11 am »

Thanks! If you had any event ideas you particularly liked (or particularly disliked) and you wanted to share why, I'd be happy to hear! Might inspire more ideas.
    I probably should have mentioned the ones I liked when I posted that, anyway these are the ones.
    - a demand for us to raid (or even raze entirely?) the closest enemy site within x months
    - a demand for us to 'acquire' the closest known artifact not held by our own/ally civilization within x months
    - a demand or even a sudden unexplainable urge akin to a 'strange mood' to do a certain thing, like...
    --- build something open to the public (tavern, guild, temple, library) and lure x amount of visitors
    --- some other mini (but potentially useless/annoying) building project like... make a pump stack x pumps tall. It can be for whatever you like, or even for nothing, just make that pump stack. Add x cells to your jail/dungeon (or if you don't have one yet, make one with that # of cells). Make a beautiful room of x size and x materials... and then seal it off so no dwarf can use it. Idk. xD
    - something detrimental but without gameplay like (a rival spreads vile rumors about you in the monarch's ear, lose x rep)
    - something positive without gameplay like (the monarch is unexpectedly fond of something in your last tribute, gain x rep)
    I quite like the first two as they tie into parts of the game that the challenge hasn't dealt with so far and allows for interesting stories to emerge. The third reminds me of the some of the strange things nobles would demand to be built for no other reason than to show off to other nobles and it feels like it would fit in with the challenge of keeping the nobility happy. And the last remind me of the bickering between the nobles because they had nothing better to do and while their bickering didn't really hurt each other it could cause harm to those below them.

Also if seems like you should get some kind of penalty for a artifact getting stolen, since they otherwise don't really tie into the challenge other than gaining impatiens for the moody dwarf dying.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #58 on: July 27, 2023, 08:57:30 pm »

- nothing happens, no event this time
    - an extra surprise tribute demand (similar to when we hit the caverns)
    --- purposely fail to deliver a tribute goal?
    --- you *must* find the next cavern/magma sea by x months
    --- send out x raids within the next y months
    --- cut down x trees (and/or if you have an agreement with the elves, deliberately break it)
    --- sacrifice/butcher x number of animals within y months. Even if you don't want the meat and/or had better use for those animals. And if you don't have a butcher shop yet... well better get creative and find another way xDD
    --- find seeds for a crop you aren't currently growing, and grow x of it within the next year (and if all your crop space is full, well I guess you'll just have to sacrifice some of your usual crops to grow this!)
    --- have at least x dwarves using a certain weapon in your militia, or alternatively, remove all dwarves using a certain weapon from your militia (switch them to a different weapon)
    --- or create a full squad with x type of armor/weapons (e.g. a bone squad, a bismuth bronze squad, a leather/wood squad)

there are a lot of good ideas here. but how would we define the balance for these requests?

we could limit the rate of these requests to a certain number a year. one every season. or one request every full moon. or some arbitrary IRL timeframe even, like every hour of gameplay

taking that rate of requests, we could make it variable and affix it to some other aspect of gameplay. such as population - every ten dwarves you control, the rate of requests increases by %10. this seems like it might be unclear for the players, however

taking a step back, we could set the rate limit to once every season, but then balance the size of the requests as per the current version of this challenge, with similar logic as described above. This is the fun option because you might get insane, specific or wacky requests, which goes along with the whole, "appeasing the mad queen" narrative.

one might want to smooth each request into a balanced package, but over-balancing here would ruin the texture and work against that narrative. You would want each request to be a sort of reward-in-itself, something that triggers the imagination as to how one might actually fullfill it.... you know, when I was playing this challenge myself I couldn't help but feel bored by some of the requests. "Ah, yes, more wood for the wood god..."

Avoiding this boredom would involve tailoring the requests either by hand, or rephrasing the current generation system.

The third reminds me of the some of the strange things nobles would demand to be built for no other reason than to show off to other nobles and it feels like it would fit in with the challenge of keeping the nobility happy. And the last remind me of the bickering between the nobles because they had nothing better to do and while their bickering didn't really hurt each other it could cause harm to those below them.

yeah this is spot on. we cannot dilute the feeling of the "nobility being nobility" trope .

a real sadist would start generating requests for specific combinations of studded materials, like metals or gems. that would drive any player insane... ahahah

BlueTrillium

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #59 on: July 28, 2023, 12:44:37 pm »

a real sadist would start generating requests for specific combinations of studded materials, like metals or gems. that would drive any player insane... ahahah

Heh heh... well I mean, most of the framework (lists of materials and such) is already there in the current generator. I could probably come up with something... -ponders-
    Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5