Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29

Author Topic: The Hall of Legends, 5th ed. revised  (Read 284547 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: The Hall of Legends, 5th ed. revised
« Reply #390 on: May 06, 2023, 08:21:58 am »

VPNs back up and running, so I went after some of my own favorite threads first. I'm a selfish beast.

Backed up, but not uploaded:
Fikuk Urdim, the field of towers
SeaMenace
All Spookyfort threads
Xestsuslozgo, my first community fort.
Dawnthunder! !FUN! with RAWs!

I went down the list and tried to find something that hasn't been backed up yet that wasn't already wiped by imageshack/tinypic.

Choose Your Own DF - Goblin Blight Island  seems to have no images (or just two), so it was a fast backup. Not uploaded.
Chasing the Elusive Mermaid is basically the same thing.
Same with Dwarven Language Codified.

All three backed up but not uploaded.

About to get:
Migrursut: Utopia in the Wastes - many of the images have poor quality and now a Photobucket watermark, but it's better than nothing. It's a big thread, but should be done soon.

-=-=-=-=-

Death and Glory is all broken tinypic links.
Wirejade is all broken tinypic links.

The Littlest Cheesemaker is safe here.
Likewise, Losing is Fun is safe here.

I'd also like to say that the Battlefailed PDF on DFFD is, in fact, totally fine. I read the whole thing about 2 years ago from that source. I downloaded and skimmed through for a double check.

EDIT:
Migrursut is done.

Will try to grab Elves of Amanereli tomorrow. Similar length and similar photobucket problem (but more fan art, so probably more imgur stuff)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2023, 08:56:10 am by delphonso »

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: May 06, 2023, 04:30:43 pm »

Just wanna say I really appreciate the preservation
effort everyone's making, its a real shame looking up some famous story and having all the images missing.
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: May 07, 2023, 12:35:55 am »

I'm gonna be updating the list in my other post with the links when they get finished.

Migrursut: Utopia in the Wastes - many of the images have poor quality and now a Photobucket watermark, but it's better than nothing. It's a big thread, but should be done soon.
Might want to check this one over when it's done, I've had trouble with pictures from Photobucket not saving.

Having backups along with the site probably isn't that bad a thing.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: May 07, 2023, 02:05:26 am »

Double post to say that I've finished uploading everything I've done, you can find the links HERE.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: May 07, 2023, 07:36:42 am »

Might want to check this one over when it's done, I've had trouble with pictures from Photobucket not saving.

Having backups along with the site probably isn't that bad a thing.

Everything appears okay, but that was the issue I was having before with my vpn (though, from every site, not just photobucket).
Working on the elves now, then I'll work on zipping and uploading everything.

If there's anything else in need of back up, let me know. It seems most stuff that's got a red X is from the tinypic loss, instead of at risk of imgur loss. Might be worth organizing something where a few of us come around once a year to back up whatever's been done in the last year.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2023, 07:59:43 am by delphonso »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: May 08, 2023, 04:11:27 am »

Might be worth organizing something where a few of us come around once a year to back up whatever's been done in the last year.
I'd be willing to help with that.

Also should we keep going until we've made backups of all the legends even if the pictures are gone, and backups of the ones not hosted on the forum?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: May 08, 2023, 08:10:54 am »

I'd be willing to help with that.
Also should we keep going until we've made backups of all the legends even if the pictures are gone, and backups of the ones not hosted on the forum?

Aye. I'd be happy to help out in some way. Of course, my schedule is a nightmare so who knows how useful I'd be. Maybe we can set up some sort of "Community Fort Preservation Society" or something. Shouldn't be too hard nowadays - only about 40 new forts that really get going a year.

Yeah, may as well just backup everything on the list. I've got low priorities to things already backed up a few times, but a few seem to be just dangling and can only lose more info as time passes.

Here's a slap-dash done list with everything marked green or backed up enough (or not yet uploaded) removed.

EDITS INCOMING:
Just finished backing up The Dwarven Checkerboard to find that someone already PDFed it. Bastards! https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13013
2212 z level adamantine spire is done.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2023, 09:33:21 am by delphonso »

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: May 08, 2023, 09:26:23 am »

Sparkgear Threads With Broken Images
  • Sparkgear 1 – Total image loss, all due to Tinypic.
  • Speakgear 2 – Missing images on page 1, replies #0, 2, 4; page 2 (reply 67, 84); page 6 (all but one image). Looks like most are due to Photobucket; saved the remaining ones and uploaded to DFFD.
  • Sparkgear 3 – Partial image losses. Page 1 (all images; photobucket), page 4 (all images; photobucket), page 6 (all images; photobucket), page 7 (tinypic), page 15 (reply 726, tinypic; reply 746, “epicwin.org”), page 16 (all images, tinypic).
  • Sparkgear 4 – Page 9, reply 419 (tinypic); page 10, reply 452 (photobucket); page 20, reply 974 (photobucket)
  • Sparkgear 5 – Broken image on page 5, reply 243 (Marvel.com?). Otherwise intact.
  • Sparkgear 6 – Page 3, reply 110 (tinypic); page 5, reply 214 (tinypic).
  • Sparkgear 7 – page 1, reply 15 and reply 28 (tinypic); page 2, reply 77 and 84 (tinypic); page 6, reply 288 (bb.xieke.com); page 11, reply 502 (tinypic)
  • Sparkgear 8 – Page 2, reply 86 (imageshack); page 3, reply 174 (“mydoom.krowzi”).
  • Sparkgear 9 – Page 2, reply 98 (imageshack); page 3, reply 112 (bb.xieke.com); page 4, reply 167 (imageshack).
  • Sparkgear 10 – page 2 (all images), and page 3 (one image, reply 101) missing images due to tinypic. Rest are Photobucket; saved and uploaded to DFFD.
  • Sparkgear 11  - page 2 is missing one image. Other than that, thread’s nearly all text.
  • Sparkgear 12 – No broken images.

Note that I might have missed some broken images, because some of these (basically everyone but photobucket/tinypic) don't show up outside of the "source" page of the thread on Chrome. I'll edit the backups onto here once they're uploaded.

EDIT: All the Sparkgears threads in their current state have been saved as complete .html and uploaded to DFFD - https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16683
« Last Edit: May 08, 2023, 10:01:25 am by Quantum Drop »
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: May 08, 2023, 10:32:12 pm »

Hey folks.  I'll be updating the tracker shortly.  I have restored the lost images for Here Lies Wagon, Undergrotto and Flarechannel, including the side-story of 'Catten and the eagle'.  I'll be working through my way through others tonight.

Edit:'The Littlest Cheesemaker' and 'Forgotten Beast Art Contest' are going to be a monumental pain.  FB art involves a great deal of restoration, so that's on me.  But for TLC, I suggest multiple volunteers split it between yourselves.

Edit2: props for knocking out TLC.  I'll be restoring Sparkgear and FB art as much as I can tonight.

Edit last one I promise: If anybody wants to knock out Constructivory, I would personally appreciate it- http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=152316.0  Should be mostly intact, but please let me know if you find missing images and I will try to restore.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2023, 11:25:43 pm by Immortal-D »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: May 09, 2023, 02:23:13 am »

I'd offer to help with that fort but I'm currently 730 pages into The Warrens of Oric the Awesome and it's probably gonna take a few more days to finish it.

Edit2: props for knocking out TLC.
No problem.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: May 09, 2023, 04:09:17 am »

I'll get Constructivory tonight.

Edit:
I have moved all of my pictures to the relative safety of Imgur.

EDIT:
God bless you, Bearskie...

Death and Glory is already here! https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13175

The Archive

The following is a collection of archives for various prominent threads in CG&S, many of which have lost their images due to old age. Effort has been undertaken in the post below to preserve these threads in the form of forum captures, whilst also collating other sources of compilations found elsewhere on Bay12. If an old legend you wish to read is missing its original images, perhaps take a look here. We might have something for you down in the archives.

Archived
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Found
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hail the new curator, Immortal-D!
Threads for the thread god!

This would have saved us some work.

EDIT 5? Just fucking try to stop me:
Constructivory DONE! Also it looks amazing and I can't wait to read though all of it.
Cacame's links are all terrible. Either broken or Photobucket with the watermark.
Pirates of the Fondled Waters is fully lost, it appears.
I got Legend of Ungrashzon, including the video ripped off youtube.

Fucked: Rockfalls the Depth of Volcano: tinypic
Fucked: You have found...: tinypic
Fucked: An Illustrated holiday anecdote: imageshack
Fucked: Dwarven Computer, thread saved but images missing

Saved: One Dwarf Against the World (text only - the thread is too old to even check if images are missing)
Saved: Questionable Ethics (also appears to be text only)
Saved: Sodel Udir (text)
Saved: The Most Interesting Dwarf (mostly text)
Saved: Journey to the Mountain-Banners
Saved: The Increasingly Tragic Tale of Dumplin (all text)
Saved: Kisat Dur, also backed up here: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14832
Saved: On the Nature of Dwarves
Saved: Life and Times of Reginald Goblinstomper

EDIT more:
Updated the list, the following were removed thanks to Bearskie, KZ and Immortal-D's work.
Clobbermountain
Death and Glory
Flamebanner
Lanternwebs
Forgotten Beasts Art Contest (assuming the brainmacintosh website is complete.)
Littlest Cheesemaker
Wirejade

EDIT Final:
Jesus I need to sleep.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2023, 09:31:55 am by delphonso »

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: May 09, 2023, 11:07:12 am »

Edit:
I have moved all of my pictures to the relative safety of Imgur.

:-[

Reading comprehension for the win.  Welp, consider it our penance for not doing this sooner, and a reminder to backup important Dorf stuff in the future.  At least a few of those were updated since he saved them, so not a total loss.  Also yes, Constructivory is a gem, despite not being Legendary (though I'm obviously biased).  I think we are close to done.  I'll make another pass at the checklist tonight and finish FB Art.  The next step will be updating the main HoL with links to all the backups and notes of which required restoration & the status thereof.  I do miss Bearskie.  He was half man, half bear, half Dwarf, half communist, and also wore a hat.  Thank you to everyone who has pitched in the not-inconsiderate time required for this project.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: May 09, 2023, 11:17:35 pm »

Yeah, I'll start working on uploading, then. I can grab anything else on request, I think what's left on the list is 'gone', though things like Cacame are well documented elsewhere.

I sent Bearskie a message, and they're still about. When I first started really getting into DF was around 2017, and I read some of his backups on long bus journeys.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: May 10, 2023, 03:56:26 am »

I looked at My Little Fortress. Glitterglen when we first started and I couldn't find any pictures in it, not sure if there were any or if they've been lost to time, when I found that out I decided to download something else instead.

Also I seem to have given myself a massive headache from doing this, so I will probably take a few days off after I finish The Warrens of Oric the Awesome.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: May 10, 2023, 05:42:17 am »

How much did the Reddit side of the effort get done?
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29