Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 552 553 [554] 555 556 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944800 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #8296 on: December 12, 2014, 12:33:32 pm »

Blank post?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8297 on: December 12, 2014, 12:35:01 pm »

Small companies should be knowledgeable enough about everyone's work that they can all give a 5 minute elevator speech on their game. Professional PR people don't have time to play games. Small companies do not get a ride. They should all be able to push their game without resorting to bs office inside jokes or simple knee jerk public stuff. Every day is not April 1st. Following trends found only in their own little circle of friends/acquaintances is a terrible way to make decisions and publicize.

BUT, I'm still surprised this is half the conversation AGAIN for this thread.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8298 on: December 12, 2014, 12:37:42 pm »

It was resurrected for a relevant reason. Cue people coming back to complain about Chucklefish. Cue "OMG no stahp you're not allowed to complain about indie devs being assholes" people coming back to complain about complaining. It's like a perpetual motion machine driven by anger and lack of self control.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8299 on: December 12, 2014, 12:37:54 pm »

Blank post?
Hotlink protection, it looks like.  I suppose we should just be glad that Bulbapedia just blocks external links instead of substituting shock images.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #8300 on: December 12, 2014, 12:39:07 pm »

There is actually a mod for customisable ships, though it's mostly just making the ship area one big empty box and allowing you to destroy your starting ship, but it's still cool.

There's also a massive music mod, as well as a Bee mod and a few other things.
"Just"

That mod was responsible for something like 85% of my playtime in Starbound after I got bored with the annoying, repetitive grind and lack of updates.

Or would that be space plantdicks? Floral no undersssstand.

Maaaaaaaaan. That picture has got me really itching to play again. I suppose I could just load up with mods and enjoy until the next release...

As though I didn't already have too many games to play and not enough time to play them.......

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #8301 on: December 12, 2014, 01:22:07 pm »

I can't decide, mods and stable, or try the nightly >.<

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8302 on: December 12, 2014, 01:53:56 pm »

Wow. It has been a long time if I'm calling them Florals.  :-[

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8303 on: December 12, 2014, 07:10:01 pm »

I am actually pretty happy that people are starting to talk about what is so good about Starbound in measurements other then Time.

Time is a perfectly fine measurement.  I got 96 hours of entertainment out of 20 dollars.  Most games I play don't come near that.  I'm not saying its the only thing that is important, but I have a hard time taking people seriously when they complain about a game sucking when they have hundreds of hours in it.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8304 on: December 12, 2014, 07:12:51 pm »

I am actually pretty happy that people are starting to talk about what is so good about Starbound in measurements other then Time.

Time is a perfectly fine measurement.  I got 96 hours of entertainment out of 20 dollars.  Most games I play don't come near that.  I'm not saying its the only thing that is important, but I have a hard time taking people seriously when they complain about a game sucking when they have hundreds of hours in it.

It isn't anything special today. Games that use up a lot of time and don't give much in return are extremely common.

In fact it is the entire gimmick around Freemium gaming is to give someone a barely fun or almost fun game and stretch them on for hours, weeks, and months.

These incredibly large play times are no longer rare.

It is why time alone is not sufficient in describing the quality of a game. No more then graphics or story would be (unless the game is only about the graphics or story)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 07:18:53 pm by Neonivek »

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8305 on: December 12, 2014, 07:38:29 pm »

...The thing is, though, Neo, those things you were talking about, not being in measure of time?

They took a whole bunch of time. It's time spent enjoying the game, not grinding. I've spent probably close to 100 hours in skyrim now, and none of it was grindy. Time enjoyed is totally a valid measure of worth.

Andux

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:semicolons]
    • View Profile
    • Andux's DFWiki page
« Reply #8306 on: December 12, 2014, 07:58:26 pm »

I miss all the crazy shit I had on Tylui's (?) server, like the bird-murderizing spacescraper (it rained pixels and meat) and the giant-martini-glass hellevator. :P
(Do not sign anything.) -- Fell, Planescape: Torment

MADMAN · Save Tools · WTF Tools · Generated Raws Extractor · Tweak for 0.31–34.xx

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8307 on: December 12, 2014, 08:05:17 pm »

...The thing is, though, Neo, those things you were talking about, not being in measure of time?

They took a whole bunch of time. It's time spent enjoying the game, not grinding. I've spent probably close to 100 hours in skyrim now, and none of it was grindy. Time enjoyed is totally a valid measure of worth.

Then you have Candy Crush, you don't grind in that game. You just play.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8308 on: December 12, 2014, 08:07:19 pm »

And if you're having fun during those hours, what's the problem?  It's not like you *need* to spend money on it.  I mean, when I was younger, I spent hours playing Tetris; also no grind, and not much more complexity than most modern "freemium" games. 

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8309 on: December 12, 2014, 08:10:28 pm »

And if you're having fun during those hours, what's the problem?  It's not like you *need* to spend money on it.  I mean, when I was younger, I spent hours playing Tetris; also no grind, and not much more complexity than most modern "freemium" games.

So then Tetris is a good game because you spent 100 hours on it and you had fun.

Lets remove the "Complexity" it is unimportant here.

The only measurement for game value here is money, time, and whether or not you had fun.
Pages: 1 ... 552 553 [554] 555 556 ... 565