Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 550 551 [552] 553 554 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944570 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #8265 on: December 11, 2014, 07:09:15 pm »

They made a post saying that the game was 1.0 ready, basically reneging on a lot of features promised during the Kickstarter and most of the development process.  They more or less claimed the game was done, without finishing it as they'd promised.

Not that I have a dog in this fight...  I posted to show interest, months before the game even came out, but never bought it because it didn't seem especially different from Terroraria.  And I don't even play Terararaia anymore.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #8266 on: December 11, 2014, 07:13:53 pm »

Nobody is saying Starbound wasn't fun.
U-uh, I would say that, actually.  Digging is tediously long, crafting is annoying, combat's kinda derpy, there's no sense building because you leave world lickity-split and your house isn't attacked like it is in Tereearaara.  I've not got very far, so I can't speak too in-depth on boss critiques, but I know I loathed the penguinship fight.  Iunno if it's different now, but shooting an aerial boss with the absolute worst bow in the game while it spawns assholes to gang up and help it shit on you was not a good time.

The best part of the game is instruments, and, c'mon.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8267 on: December 11, 2014, 07:18:14 pm »

The 1.0 release post was taken waaay too out of context. They said it was closer than they initially thought but they are nowhere near still to that release. I highly, highly doubt this game will we be dumped like Spacebase. Considering how active nightly is being updated and the continuous dev blogs pushed out. Now, as I said the game has nearly doubled since initial. Its long overdue for a stable release but they are still trying to finish large parts of the environment chunks making the worlds very unique from each other.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8268 on: December 11, 2014, 07:21:14 pm »

The 1.0 release post was taken waaay too out of context. They said it was closer than they initially thought but they are nowhere near still to that release. I highly, highly doubt this game will we be dumped like Spacebase. Considering how active nightly is being updated and the continuous dev blogs pushed out. Now, as I said the game has nearly doubled since initial. Its long overdue for a stable release but they are still trying to finish large parts of the environment chunks making the worlds very unique from each other.

It's going to hit like a DF update I bet. All at once and with hundred of bugs with twelve bugfixing updates in quick succession.

E: And it seems like the nightly's missing a bunch of .dll files. Wonderful.

EE: Steam validation found 228 unvalidated files. Oh my.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 07:32:57 pm by Pufferfish »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8269 on: December 11, 2014, 07:27:26 pm »

It's going to hit like a DF update I bet. All at once and with hundred of bugs with twelve bugfixing updates in quick succession.
Its essentially upto that point. As far as I remember the quest system has been in place with the needed mod parts and the creature gen has been isolated to certain worlds now.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8270 on: December 11, 2014, 07:38:32 pm »

I played to the endgame a half year or so ago and then played again recently, but it gave me no motivation or new content that would make me play again.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8271 on: December 11, 2014, 07:42:58 pm »

Actually, no, I'm not going to get sucked into this argument again. I don't much care about the game or anyone fighting over it, so I'll just keep waiting to see if it ever gets a meaningful and stable update.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8272 on: December 11, 2014, 08:01:59 pm »

I can dig that dev-quote that said that the game could be published as a 1.0 version... about a year ago.

Yeah.

This game is a train-wreck.
It's a train wreck for missing it's release date?

I'm disappointed in the lack of stable updates (mainly given the fact that they're using early access), but I really don't understand how everyone despises Starbound now. It's making steady progress with daily blog posts that actually have some content in them, they're nearing 1.0/stable release, and people are still hating on it for their "lack of updates" and a supposed PR fiasco a while ago.

Uh, no. A year ago, in a clearly alpha unfinished state, the developer said "hey, it's playable right now, heck I could even release it as-is and call it 1.0!"

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8273 on: December 11, 2014, 08:40:15 pm »

To clarify a couple things:

-The last stable update was in April
-Tiy's infamous '1.0' speech was in late July

A couple other things that pissed people off:

-Around April, Bartwe, then 1/3rd of the entire coding team, discreetly quits; Chucklefish elects not to tell anyone, and nobody finds out until sometime around June, when disgruntled anons from /vp/ start doing some digging trying to find out why development seems to have slowed to a crawl, despite the promise of updates coming 'thick and fast'

-Sometime prior to the 1.0 speech, Chucklefish shows off the planned AI for the Glitch ship-- essentially a horse with comically large tits-- to a huge public outcry. Their response to the incipient shitstorm is to go full damage control and ban all dissent, until eventually they come up with an alternate proposal (a robot wizard), and pit horsetits against it in a poll; when the former wins by a landslide, they essentially say "AYYY it was a joke all along! Wasn't that funny?", proceed to not unban anyone they banned, and then re-use the horse (sans tits) for the Novakid AI anyway.

I'l admit that I am impressed with the progress they've made in the past couple months, I'm looking forward to actually trying out the update, and I prefer to assume incompetence over malice despite their consistently flippant attitude towards their players (I have the game too!), but all this is only after they were finally forced to actually draft a design document after they had to tear out and rewrite half the game engine.  :-\
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8274 on: December 11, 2014, 10:16:02 pm »

they were finally forced to actually draft a design document after they had to tear out and rewrite half the game engine.  :-\

Don't worry, give it two weeks and they'll abandon it like every other plan related to the game since the initial announcement. And people will still defend them.

My opinion is a simpler version of what's been said already. They've always been uncoordinated and unprofessional, with nothing to show from it, and then immediately attack the playerbase for calling them out on it. If any single one of those were untrue, I wouldn't be nearly as disgusted with them as I am.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8275 on: December 11, 2014, 10:31:59 pm »

Uh, no. A year ago, in a clearly alpha unfinished state, the developer said "hey, it's playable right now, heck I could even release it as-is and call it 1.0!"
Except they didn't.

But I worded my previous argument/stance horribly, so let me rephrase it;
  • There are daily blog posts concerning the progress of the game
  • You can play the latest version of the game, though it can be buggy
  • There is consistent progress being made
  • It is not released yet
  • You cannot say developers didn't do what they promised when they haven't actually released yet
Admittedly, the PR has been horrible, but I personally don't think making one of the worst "jokes" of all times warrants the disgust and hatred Starbound has been getting as a whole. After all, in the end, they listened to the community. As for the other PR stuff, I personally think it doesn't matter that much, but even if you think it does, it shouldn't warrant outright hatred and disgust towards Starbound.
To sum what I think up, again, I don't think they deserve any hate at all for the game development, and I personally don't think their PR shows any malice, but even if you think they do, attacking the game so blatantly isn't really deserved.

That's my final post regarding this, since this thread is unnaturally hostile. Instead, I'll just wonder why I seem to have the opposite opinion of the majority of the internet/bay12/whatever on almost every "issue" like this.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8276 on: December 11, 2014, 10:42:02 pm »

I really, really don't want to see that "anyone who hasn't uninstalled this game and denounced chucklefish yet is a fool" crap again. Let's just keep the discussion to the game, eh?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8277 on: December 11, 2014, 10:52:07 pm »

I really, really don't want to see that "anyone who hasn't uninstalled this game and denounced chucklefish yet is a fool" crap again. Let's just keep the discussion to the game, eh?

Heh, we are getting (or have gotten to) the point where people are willfully ignoring what the other side of the argument is saying. It's all downhill from here.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8278 on: December 11, 2014, 10:54:30 pm »

Heh, we are getting (or have gotten to) the point where people are willfully ignoring what the other side of the argument is saying. It's all downhill from here.
No one's saying that right now. But it actually got that bad at one point, and spilled over into here a bit.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8279 on: December 11, 2014, 11:08:02 pm »

That's an instigating comment thank you. Its still already obvious the current state of the game is, this thread can only exist as long as the dev blogs keep coming in. Showing up and ramblin about the same shit of how much "the devs are asshats" and "the game is garbage for shit" that happened months ago. Its the exact crap of whenever someone mentions a early access game in the Sales Thread and I see 20 replies of "OH FUCK THAT, EARLY ACCESS, INSTANT POO, NEVER BUY".

The game itself is still not abandoned, and until it is, the subject will be valid until we get a Double Fine Fuckup.
Pages: 1 ... 550 551 [552] 553 554 ... 565