Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 513 514 [515] 516 517 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 945261 times)

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #7710 on: June 21, 2014, 04:21:45 pm »

My bet is it's going to be a tie.

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7711 on: June 21, 2014, 09:13:14 pm »

Haha. I am like. Laughing. So much. Hue hue. HUE.

I find that attempt at humor terrible.

Apologies to those who do find it funny.
It was worth a chuckle, but I do find it a little... Poorly timed? They already have a lot going against them, and cracking jokes at their customers' expense probably isn't helping that.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7712 on: June 21, 2014, 10:15:54 pm »

Quote from: Starbound blog
Also we have decided because of the positive feedback about the glitch AI that we should make every ship AI a different animal, all with boobs.
real mature guys

boobs sell am i right

right?
._.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7713 on: June 21, 2014, 10:25:12 pm »

Quote from: Starbound blog
Also we have decided because of the positive feedback about the glitch AI that we should make every ship AI a different animal, all with boobs.

Oh, so they're just going out of their way to prove our assumptions about a lack of respect for their customers correct. Good thing to know they've torpedoed their future. What a fucking joke of a development team, guess that's appropriate for a bunch of people who think they're funnier than they ever were.

Makes my blood boil that I even supported this project.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 10:27:31 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7714 on: June 21, 2014, 10:34:05 pm »

Whatever. If they leave the horse monstrosity in the game, I'll just mod it out. I'll probably wind up doing my own AI anyway. That, of course, means that I'll have to bone up on the artwork (or beg Solifuge for help.)

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7715 on: June 21, 2014, 10:36:47 pm »

I'd also prefer if they would fix the game instead of thinking they're being clever by taking cute little jabs at criticism. Then again they're a trainwreck simulation as opposed to a video game development company at this stage in the process so that hope I had is completely lost.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7716 on: June 22, 2014, 02:44:01 am »

I'd also prefer if they would fix the game instead of thinking they're being clever by taking cute little jabs at criticism. Then again they're a trainwreck simulation as opposed to a video game development company at this stage in the process so that hope I had is completely lost.

Definitely a sad testament to why you don't just surround yourself with Yes-men when developing videogames.  I fell asleep for a bit and the post I linked had discussions going on that were civil.  Wake up to the thread being locked again, read through, and of course their said Yes-men had come in, derailed the topic, and posted flamebait because they weren't getting their way in a poll that was essentially meaningless.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7717 on: June 22, 2014, 03:05:27 am »

I love that the top listed positive about the thread, as said by the mod who locked it, was that it lasted a whole 11 hours before degenerating into internet slapfighting and some bizarre meditation on the nature of website polls.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7718 on: June 22, 2014, 05:57:32 am »

I wonder when we'll see the crash of indie market. Because things like this showcase a giant underlying problem in the foundation of the whole indie business - they're very unprofessional, and even try to act unprofessionally. This cannot end well in the long perspective.
._.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7719 on: June 22, 2014, 06:35:07 am »

I wonder when we'll see the crash of indie market. Because things like this showcase a giant underlying problem in the foundation of the whole indie business - they're very unprofessional, and even try to act unprofessionally. This cannot end well in the long perspective.
Probably only after indies run out of good ideas to pitch to players. Publishers can't be assed to invest into unproven new ideas, and established development companies need to be very established to afford to risk trying something and failing. As long as independent developers are willing to try out things everyone else isn't, and as long as those things are interesting enough for people to pay money for them, this sort of thing will probably continue. Especially if all the indie failings end up being "never got out of beta".

I mean, I can't say I haven't gotten my money's worth of fun out of Starbound. It's a neat idea that struggles with getting itself completed, but is fun even in incomplete state, so...
Similar things can be said of Kerbal Space Program, for instance. The difference of course is that Squad are rather more competent in their handling of the playerbase. :P Not to mention the game itself being so moddable that the community implements major features before the devs can get around to them.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7720 on: June 22, 2014, 06:53:55 am »

(Warning: cynicism ahead)

Because the gaming community at large seems to love polarisation. Publishers are Big and Evil and out to Destroy Gaming, and indie devs are the Good and Just underdogs, here to Save Gaming. It's like Star Wars.

It's why people tend to ignore any advantages that having a publisher gives, and over-scrutinize indie devs, inevitably creating a big controversy over even the smallest of mistakes. People have erroneously associated "indie" with "good", when in reality they should associate it with "different".

Never purchase anything unless you absolutely know what you are buying. Which to be honost is just generally usefull life advice.

The indie market will continue and there will continue to be good and bad indie games, but we are probably soon approaching the point where simply being "indie" won't be enough for people to give you money.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7721 on: June 22, 2014, 07:18:50 am »

I was poking through the devlog and saw this:
I for one, welcome our new ample-chested AI overlords. I just hope there are some non-animal AIs too... oh, and no Cortana's, that's just wrong. :D
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 07:31:43 am by Baijiu »

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7722 on: June 22, 2014, 11:36:09 am »

(Warning: cynicism ahead)

Because the gaming community at large seems to love polarisation. Publishers are Big and Evil and out to Destroy Gaming, and indie devs are the Good and Just underdogs, here to Save Gaming. It's like Star Wars.

It's why people tend to ignore any advantages that having a publisher gives, and over-scrutinize indie devs, inevitably creating a big controversy over even the smallest of mistakes. People have erroneously associated "indie" with "good", when in reality they should associate it with "different".

Never purchase anything unless you absolutely know what you are buying. Which to be honost is just generally usefull life advice.

The indie market will continue and there will continue to be good and bad indie games, but we are probably soon approaching the point where simply being "indie" won't be enough for people to give you money.

I wouldn't call that cynicism so much as... realism? I guess?

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7723 on: June 22, 2014, 12:31:06 pm »

I think they're not taking the horse AI hate seriously anymore and now uses it to poke the hornets nest.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7724 on: June 22, 2014, 12:32:16 pm »

I think they're not taking the horse AI hate seriously anymore and now uses it to poke the hornets nest.

Aka the customer base and their criticism doesn't matter to this development team since they've already gotten their money from people.

Pages: 1 ... 513 514 [515] 516 517 ... 565