Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 501 502 [503] 504 505 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944684 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #7530 on: May 07, 2014, 09:39:06 am »

http://playstarbound.com/progress-on-ships/

Tiered ships being shown off.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7531 on: May 07, 2014, 11:07:15 am »

Aw but I liked the hylotl design :(

At least we'll be getting those relatively soon, though. Can't wait to upgrade human ships!
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7532 on: May 07, 2014, 11:52:09 am »

Eeh. The tiered ships look better than the old concept mockups, certainly, but I think I'm going to stick with whatever build-yer-own mod is current.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7533 on: May 07, 2014, 12:58:49 pm »

So, do tiers 1-3 do anything except aesthetic upgrades?  I worry that they may feel a bit in the way of "empty levels," if they don't actually have concrete advantages (say, increasing fuel efficiency); you have to invest in them, but all they do is artificially pad out the upgrade tree and force you to invest more to get what you actually want, if what you want is more building space.  That's especially true since people who want to build aesthetically are more likely to stick with the build-your-own-ship mods since those offer more creative freedom.  Actually, more particular upgrade paths might help with that, rather than a single tiered system - expand rooms, or increase fuel efficiency, or increase range (not so much necessary now that the sector tiering is being thoroughly revamped), or unlock new shipboard utility items (that is, more along the lines of the shipboard 3D printer and storage locker rather than things you carry with you like forges). 

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7534 on: May 07, 2014, 01:18:10 pm »

I think the first tiers are meant to represent the player repairing the ship before starting to upgrade it. It's quite possible some systems will not be available until the ship is fully repaired.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7535 on: May 07, 2014, 02:48:45 pm »

Aw but I liked the hylotl design :(

At least we'll be getting those relatively soon, though. Can't wait to upgrade human ships!
The Hylotl one looked stupid to me.

Don't worry, I'm sure a mod will re-introduce the old designs.
Not the ancient dolphin-shaped one, the current carp-like one.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7536 on: May 12, 2014, 03:30:46 am »

Wheat farming is derping for me.  My return rate is one wheat for every four plants - I get more plant fibre than wheat.  Also seeds is roughly three to one.

The Starbound community are trying different tactics to get better results but it seems like wheat does not like being planted near anything else.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7537 on: May 12, 2014, 03:36:34 am »

Honestly the thing I like the least about their default tiered ships is the repeated boxes design. Every one they've done is the identical starter ship tiled in different directions, with irrelevant pixels bordering it on the outside. Where are the domes, hanger bays, engineering cores, or... well the non-boxcar bits?

I don't see myself using the defaults for more than a single playthrough unless there's some feature to them that's inaccessible via Custom Ship Mod.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7538 on: May 13, 2014, 09:57:06 pm »

After bouncing around randomly looking for a place to explore in Beta sector, I've stumbled across Magrathea.  Theres a lot of planets in that system, I'm going to go and knock on Slartibartfast's door, see if he's awake.

Going left from the warp point on Magrathea Ia, I find this disturbing sight, and evidence that the Apex were here before me.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And it gets worse, the major life form is a sweet, innocent, fluffy, white lamb ... until you too close, then you see its glowing red eyes just as it belches out a stream plasma grenades, and there is a bird that does the same, but from just out of reach of my swords.
    There is also a Glitch castle here, and they don't like people dropping in.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 11:56:48 pm by Darkening Kaos »
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #7539 on: May 26, 2014, 01:34:46 pm »

What's up with our multiplayer servers? Are they all down for the time being, or am I just having bad luck?

If they are down, can anyone recommend another good, reliable server?

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7540 on: May 26, 2014, 08:44:38 pm »

What's up with our multiplayer servers? Are they all down for the time being, or am I just having bad luck?

Pretty sure they all died due to lack of interest.

When development starts back up again (by which I mean when updates are released again; I am aware that work is still being done), I'd certainly be interested in playing on a server.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7541 on: May 26, 2014, 09:00:59 pm »

I would be interested as well, especially since I'm on a solid connection using a computer that can run the game properly.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #7542 on: May 26, 2014, 09:58:31 pm »

I'd volunteer making a server, but it'd be in south korea, very far away for most people here.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #7543 on: May 27, 2014, 04:14:18 am »

i'd love to play with others on starbound, and can run a server (I think, lan at least i know..)  only catch is hamatchi..
plus i also like mods >.>

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7544 on: May 27, 2014, 05:45:17 am »

I'm currently waiting on the release version. I had a server up for a while but the game felt a little light at the time. Once this is released I'll add it to my servers that I host for you guys.
Pages: 1 ... 501 502 [503] 504 505 ... 565