Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 490 491 [492] 493 494 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 945272 times)

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #7365 on: February 17, 2014, 01:09:50 pm »

Blurgh, having trouble with mods. Whenever I try to start a new character using a modded race (Except for the Novakid+ mod), I get an error message along the lines of 'client-server connection no longer valid'. I can start normal characters just fine, though.

Here's my current mod list, if that helps at all:

• Avali
  • Felins
  • Variety is the Spice of the Universe
  • Starscape
  • Deadsquirrel's Firefly
  • Firefly/Serenity Big Box of Loot
  • Frackin' Flora
  • Kobolds
  • Okea Kiosk
  • Planetside Teleporters
  • Ammo Overhaul
  • Felins Object+
  • Kawa's Xbawks-mode character creator
  • Dungeoneer Dungeons
  • Novakid+

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #7366 on: February 17, 2014, 01:16:54 pm »

Wait a minute... Is it not possible to scan and print blocks with the 3d printer? Do I actually have to dismantle entire NPC settlements to get the blocks for my library?

...WHY???

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7367 on: February 17, 2014, 01:24:18 pm »

Welcome to Starbound! Yes, you have to dismantle for blocks. This is true in most block games.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #7368 on: February 17, 2014, 01:36:15 pm »

I swear it used to be possible to scan and print them. It was expensive, but faster than dismantling buildings.

I might have to grab one of those mods that lets you just create blocks from a machine, keep it on a single-player planet, and stock up that way. Would that work without disrupting my vanilla multiplayer experience, as long as I don't create any blocks that don't exist in vanilla?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7369 on: February 17, 2014, 01:41:08 pm »

The Creative Mod doesn't disrupt your vanilla experience if you make sure the blocks are in vanilla (easy experiment in singleplayer, and as far as I know at least 95%, if not 100% are), and whenever you want to go on a multiplayer server you just remove all the mod items from the game and temporarily uninstall the mod. That's what I do. It's how I made my homeplanet and ship.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7370 on: February 17, 2014, 01:42:41 pm »

Yes, ignore the person with a more pressing issue than 'can't scan blocks'. :I

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7371 on: February 17, 2014, 01:56:39 pm »

I swear it used to be possible to scan and print them. It was expensive, but faster than dismantling buildings.

The portable pixel printer unlocks printing some stuff, like steel blocks and high-tech blocks. You may be thinking of that one.

That said, I do run a mod I made for personal use called "harvest pick" that lets you craft a 5X5 near-instant mining pick from stone and wood at the workbench. I have no interest in posting it to chucklefish's site, but if there's a desire for it I can do some graphic tweaks and post it here.

It wouldn't work just as client-side for MP servers, though. If someone wants it, just tell me the easiest place to drop the files and I'll upload it.

People are here from many different time zones with many different schedules. Your post is just over 30 minutes old. Patience is a virtue.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7372 on: February 17, 2014, 02:04:02 pm »

Also, your question has been answered many times already. If a mod adds assets that don't exist in vanilla, they will cease to exist if you take them into a multiplayer server without the same mod(s). I can't tell you exactly how a custom race mod would react, but it would almost certainly be something between not being able to join, crashing on join, and your character model looking wonky to other players.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7373 on: February 17, 2014, 02:04:57 pm »

Blurgh, having trouble with mods. Whenever I try to start a new character using a modded race (Except for the Novakid+ mod), I get an error message along the lines of 'client-server connection no longer valid'. I can start normal characters just fine, though.

Here's my current mod list, if that helps at all:

• Avali
  • Felins
  • Variety is the Spice of the Universe
  • Starscape
  • Deadsquirrel's Firefly
  • Firefly/Serenity Big Box of Loot
  • Frackin' Flora
  • Kobolds
  • Okea Kiosk
  • Planetside Teleporters
  • Ammo Overhaul
  • Felins Object+
  • Kawa's Xbawks-mode character creator
  • Dungeoneer Dungeons
  • Novakid+
Have you tried deleting and regenerating your universe?

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7374 on: February 17, 2014, 02:08:04 pm »

Also, your question has been answered many times already. If a mod adds assets that don't exist in vanilla, they will cease to exist if you take them into a multiplayer server without the same mod(s). I can't tell you exactly how a custom race mod would react, but it would almost certainly be something between not being able to join, crashing on join, and your character model looking wonky to other players.

That's not the issue. The issue is that I that error on single-player.

Have you tried deleting and regenerating your universe?

I'm saving that as a last-resort kind of thing, TBH.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7375 on: February 17, 2014, 02:08:21 pm »

Your question is much more in-depth and complicated than the 'less pressing' one you mention...and frankly, given that everyone experiences being unable to print blocks but only your specific mod configuration causes your problem, it seems a bit harsh to describe hers as 'less pressing'.

Regardless - if your issue is happening when trying to play as any of the custom races (except Novakid+), rather than just Felins or just Avali, I'd suspect it's something to do with the character creator mod (just by process of elimination).  Does your starbound.log file shed any light on what's causing the crash?  Have you tried disabling the custom race mods one at a time to see if one of them is causing the specific conflict?

Worst case scenario - try going back to vanilla, then applying the mods one at a time, starting up a new character each time, until you find the one that causes it to fail.  Suspect it'll be a combination of the character creator mod and one of the race mods, but haven't used them myself so no personal experience here.
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7376 on: February 17, 2014, 02:13:52 pm »

I've been guessing it's the Avali mod so I guess that's my next test. Well, time to jot down the coordinates for my moon bunker, dig out a chamber to stuff with a bunch of containers for loot, and go from there. e-e

Edit: Although, now that I think about, I didn't have an issue until after installing the kobold mod.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 02:19:24 pm by Vorthon »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7377 on: February 17, 2014, 02:35:15 pm »

Oh, that post. Yeah, it's almost certainly to do with the multiple race mods. With that many there's a high possibility that two or more modify the same files, which would naturally cause conflicts.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7378 on: February 17, 2014, 10:58:55 pm »

The Creative Mod doesn't disrupt your vanilla experience if you make sure the blocks are in vanilla (easy experiment in singleplayer, and as far as I know at least 95%, if not 100% are), and whenever you want to go on a multiplayer server you just remove all the mod items from the game and temporarily uninstall the mod. That's what I do. It's how I made my homeplanet and ship.

I have some weird single player mods that I don't use on the server. Basically just stash any new things on a singleplayer planet(like the creative mode crafting tables), and make sure it never gets on my ship or my player inventory. I can join my server just fine with it still installed, as long as I don't then try to make the crafting tables. :P

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #7379 on: February 18, 2014, 09:15:06 am »

Tylui, I can't connect to your server. It says "unknown server version." Was there a patch? Or maybe the server needs to be rebooted for some reason?
Pages: 1 ... 490 491 [492] 493 494 ... 565